Used 2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

I love my Avalon!
By pennyj

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have not had my Avalon too long, but for the time I have had it...I adore it. I have had many other cars, from Ford to Buick to Chevy, etc. I am in love with this car. It drives like a dream. I slammed on the brakes in the rain and it stopped on a dime. If I were in my van I used to have or my truck...I would have wrecked my car. I am so satisfied, I can't believe it.

Awesome driving and riding is the main focus of any car, but this one drives so smooth that you forget out streets that used to shake you all over the road.

The only improvement that I can imagine would be more advertisement so more people know about this wonderful car.

poor back up camera
By keneg1

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2011 with 32,000+ miles. the backup camera doesn't show evenly on the navigation screen. It isn't centered on the screen. The dealer told me after I drove it off the lot that all 2011s have this. "It is on all the 2011s". I've asked the dealer 5 weeks ago to drive another 2011 to see if that car has the same problem. So far, he said he hasn't had one to test. If anyone has this problem, please coment. Thank you.

Malfunctioning extras are a pain
By japelo

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Let me preface this review by saying that the first Avalon I had was excellent. I had it 7 yrs. & traded only because someone hit me. The 2011 Avalon I have now is also an excellent ride, but the wind noise and some of its extras are more trouble than they're worth.

Smooth ride, nicely done interior and exterior, roomy. Seats 5 adults comfortably and the back seat actually has more leg room than the front.

I live in a part of Texas where it seldom rains in the summer. Yet, my "automatic" windshield wipers just randomly come on when it's hot. The rear sun screen also comes up intermittently. After 6 times at the dealer's, the Toyota experts said automatic wipers were supposed to come on when it doesn't rain and that we should keep the wipers in manual until it started raining. Really? No solution yet for the screen, either. It would be better not to have these features than having faulty design.

Surprised at 70k miles
By dworth

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our Avalon for about a year and a half now and have been satisfied. We've had Toyota's since 1989. At 65k, front brake rotors warped & pads needed replacing - at 68k, the rear rotors & pads got replaced. At 70k, inner tie rods got loose and got replaced. We're holding our breath and wondering what's going to be next. Of course, this is the first Toyota that we've kept beyond the 36k mark, so perhaps this brand isn't as reliable as we've always thought? Although we'd hesitate to say this Avalon is a lemon, we've planned on its lasting 10 years...wish us luck.

We like the ride and the interior room, but we must agree with others who have said the trunk could be more spacious. We've been consistently in the 25-30mpg with this Avalon and that makes us happy.

We've had chronic difficulties with the heating in this Avalon and after a year and a half, still don't know how to adjust the heat for the vents in the back seat. So far, we just keep them closed, but that doesn't seem very sophisticated, does it? There are times, when the front passenger side gets no heat at all at the foot level...changing settings doesn't seem to alter anything. There are other times when heat is down there and passenger perfectly comfortable. We had to change the wipers immediately, but we've found that Toyota uses the cheapest blades around on all their models, so no surprise there.

Exceptional value in its class.
By edward09

2011 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

2011 Avalon XLS (Canada) has the competiton beat! Excellent front seat comfort with full power lumbar for driver / passenger. More room than Mercedes E350. Lexus features without the price. This car is quite fast and has a controlled stable ride, and uses regular gas, unlike the competiton. Gas mileage has been 7.5l / 100 km - highway (38 MPG - imperial) and 10.5l / 100 km city. The voice reconition is very good, controls well laid-out and nice NAVI system. Lots of room in the back seat with comfortable seating and tilting seatback is functional. Very good trunk space. Both interior and exterior fit and finish are tight with good alignment. Great car for long trips in varied terrain.

Spacious vehicle; comforatble ride; good electronics and NAVI; bullet proof motor using regular gas; powerful and fast; improved syling with LED tail lamps; great trunk space and ski pass-through.

Issue is wind noise on driver's side. Toyota needs to address and fix this as it can be somewhat annoying on a long trip with gusty winds.