Used 2009 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Just got it and love it
By Bennett

2009 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently purchase XL model without any extras. Doesn't matter as it came with everything and more than I needed. I really like the clean center console. With the audio controls on the steering wheel I leave all the compartments closed for a clean sleek uncluttered look. We took our first trip with our new Avalon and averaged over 32 mpg at 75 mph. Just came out of a F150 so I really appreciate the gas mileage. Also, recently had 5 adults in the car. My back seat passengers were amazed by the leg room. I also like the seats. They are not the sporty type with built up sides that you find in most cars today. Basically this is a Japanese Sedan DeVille.....

Favorite Features

Extremely smooth quiet ride. Like the clean sleek center console. All the controls are very well placed and ergonomic. For the price you get a lot of car and even the basic XL model has plenty of features. I also like the sliding center arm rest. Makes for very comfortable driving. Lots of storage.

Suggested Improvements

So far I can't find anything I would improve on.

Oops!
By Jeff

2009 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Beautiful car except it came with a front end vibration at 38-42 mph and above 60 mph. 5 trips to the dealer and 4,000 miles later, it has a reduced but constant vibration that is a nuisance at 39 mph and discomfort above 60. The dealership replaced 2 tires and then all 4 with a harder tire. You feel every little imperfection in the road and the vibration puts your backside to sleep. After a 250 mile trip, I was exhausted. This car should be a dream to drive but unfortunately it's a bad dream. Filing for a replacement under FL lemon law.

Favorite Features

Whistles and bells are great.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota should road test their vehicles before selling them.

Great car, could be even better.
By carlupi

2009 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is great car and value for the money. Comfortable overall, quiet, very fuel efficient. With some tweaks to the exterior design and interior layout, could be the best car Toyota makes.

Favorite Features

Quietness, fuel efficiency, smooth ride, dependability.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room for the driver; larger, more comfortable front seats. Make exterior design more interesting, less "frumpy".

Read the book first, then tell story
By C Hortman

2009 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am disappointed in their flagship. It has lots of wind noise. The DRONE of the tires is very prevalent. The driving position is the worst. I'm 6.0, the seats are uncomfortable and very hard. Not a lot of leg room for the driver. COMFORT and AVALON are never USED in the same sentence!!! This car is 95% Camry. A factory employee told me, they don't want you to be satisfied. WHY? So they can sell you a Lexus. Transmission 2nd gear jerks every time it shifts, it won't shift down when it needs too. The factory puts one coat on the bottom of the car for sound reduction, rust. They started out putting 5 coats. It is all about saving $$$ at the consumer's expense. The car is reliable, BUT!!!

Favorite Features

Reliability but no comfort. I sit down 100% of the time. Get rid of the hard trashy cheap seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better driving position, larger more comfortable seats. This car is noisy, wind and tire noise. Transmission needs lots of work. Poor head lights and radio. Put seat memory on base model after you put in good seats that are comfortable.

Help!
By george hooper

2009 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I paid $36,000 for my 2009 Avalon. I will not drive it. It has 3000 miles on it. On 8 occasions the car has lurched forward after brakes were applied. One accident occurred costing me $500 deduct. I was in the bank line when the brakes failed. Car started moving forward. Brakes would not stop the car. Toyota dealers say they cannot find a problem. Both my husband and brother have experienced same problem driving this vehicle. Dealers say no other person has reported anything similar. The car is just too dangerous to drive. I am lucky I have not been injured or have injured someone else.