2009 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Just got it and love it
By Bennett on 08/31/09 18:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Recently purchase XL model without any extras. Doesn't matter as it came with everything and more than I needed. I really like the clean center console. With the audio controls on the steering wheel I leave all the compartments closed for a clean sleek uncluttered look. We took our first trip with our new Avalon and averaged over 32 mpg at 75 mph. Just came out of a F150 so I really appreciate the gas mileage. Also, recently had 5 adults in the car. My back seat passengers were amazed by the leg room. I also like the seats. They are not the sporty type with built up sides that you find in most cars today. Basically this is a Japanese Sedan DeVille.....

Oops!
By Jeff on 08/29/09 16:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Beautiful car except it came with a front end vibration at 38-42 mph and above 60 mph. 5 trips to the dealer and 4,000 miles later, it has a reduced but constant vibration that is a nuisance at 39 mph and discomfort above 60. The dealership replaced 2 tires and then all 4 with a harder tire. You feel every little imperfection in the road and the vibration puts your backside to sleep. After a 250 mile trip, I was exhausted. This car should be a dream to drive but unfortunately it's a bad dream. Filing for a replacement under FL lemon law.

Great car, could be even better.
By carlupi on 08/18/09 09:13 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is great car and value for the money. Comfortable overall, quiet, very fuel efficient. With some tweaks to the exterior design and interior layout, could be the best car Toyota makes.

Read the book first, then tell story
By C Hortman on 08/04/09 09:07 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am disappointed in their flagship. It has lots of wind noise. The DRONE of the tires is very prevalent. The driving position is the worst. I'm 6.0, the seats are uncomfortable and very hard. Not a lot of leg room for the driver. COMFORT and AVALON are never USED in the same sentence!!! This car is 95% Camry. A factory employee told me, they don't want you to be satisfied. WHY? So they can sell you a Lexus. Transmission 2nd gear jerks every time it shifts, it won't shift down when it needs too. The factory puts one coat on the bottom of the car for sound reduction, rust. They started out putting 5 coats. It is all about saving $$$ at the consumer's expense. The car is reliable, BUT!!!

Help!
By george hooper on 07/12/09 22:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I paid $36,000 for my 2009 Avalon. I will not drive it. It has 3000 miles on it. On 8 occasions the car has lurched forward after brakes were applied. One accident occurred costing me $500 deduct. I was in the bank line when the brakes failed. Car started moving forward. Brakes would not stop the car. Toyota dealers say they cannot find a problem. Both my husband and brother have experienced same problem driving this vehicle. Dealers say no other person has reported anything similar. The car is just too dangerous to drive. I am lucky I have not been injured or have injured someone else.

Lurches forward
By judy hooper on 07/07/09 21:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Would love 2009 Avalon except for one major problem. At unexpected times after I brake the car begins to move forward. This has happened to 3 different drivers. I cannot stop this forward movement. It caused me to rear end another car at a band drive through. Toyota dealers will not acknowledge problem since they cannot duplicate problem. Car has 3000 miles on it and I am afraid to drive it. I have been told that I am the first person to report this in the U.S. I feel robbed. This is going to happen again.

I absolutely love to drive it!
By David H on 06/13/09 14:20 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When shopping for our car, we researched the purchase for a good year. We took into consideration our age, our abilities (and disabilities), cost, maintenance costs, reliability, etc., and came to the determination that this was the best car for us to purchase. The 8-way power seats both driver and passenger were a must for us, and love the fact that both of us can maintain max comfort possible. When the wife's back is really hurting, she wants to go on a road trip, or just sit in the car to get it settled down! We get 26-28 MPG in town, and up to 34 MPG on road trips. The Limited with AC in seats was hard on the wife's knee replacement but wasn't worth the cost to get laser cruise.

GPS Madness
By Avalon Grandma on 06/03/09 12:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The GPS is the worst. Extremely user unfriendly. Many important POI's are missing. Per Toyota many were removed to make more map space. Toyota admits that the Avalon has the original GPS designed for the 2003 model. No wonder it is antiquated. Toyota will not stand behind the device. Says it was designed to specs. I've asked them to take the vehicle back and replace it with another without GPS. They consistently refuse. Suggested guidance for the same route varies. Guidance for one route sometimes goes 15 miles out of the way.

Why Lexus when you can have an Avalon?
By CB on 05/11/09 16:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car should be getting more attention by industry pundits. My 09 Avalon is a lot more car than I ever expected. The standard options are generous for a car costing under 34K. The ride and handling is responsive and not at all "Buick like". The Avalon V6 with the 6 speed transmission is quick and the tap shift adds a bit of fun. Why buy a small hybrid when you can drive a large luxury sedan with +30 MPG!

Great Car - Terrible GPS
By Doug on 05/01/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

4 adults w/ trunk FULL of luggage on a 1700 mile road trip and got 31 mpg in comfort! The $2000 navigation system is awful. My $300 portable Garmin is MUCH better. I complained to the dealer who said "That's a common complaint." Toyota hasn't replied to my complaint letter. I want them to take the GPS out and give me my $2k back!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Avalon in VA is:

$108 per month*