Used 2009 Toyota Avalon XLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

DRONE Noise
By piercy42

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 2009 Avalon XLS have an annoying DRONE from the rear. The dealer tells me it is the tires. I'm on my 3rd set (replaced because of the problem, they were not worn out). Problem cotinues and seems to be getting worse. Rotating tires also does not help. It is very annoying. Also have a friend with 2009 Avalon and he has the same problem. This is my 2nd Avalon. The 1st, a 2002 was a great car.

Plenty of Room in the Back
By outskiing

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We've had our Avalon for three month's. We bought is as a family car and needed room for growing teenagers. I'm 6"3 and can easily fit in the back. It's like riding in a limo and to us is a Lexus in all but name...who needs the big "L" on the front anyway? If you don't mind an understated car that's big on comfort and interstate composure, try out an Avalon.

Favorite Features

Interior room, automatically adjusting stereo volume, heated seats and true duel heat/air controls.

Suggested Improvements

The light colored carpets pick up grime and dirt pretty easy and the "brushed aluminium" trim can scratch pretty easy.

It is called a large car, but it isn't
By Chris Christensen

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Older Avalons are wider and more spacious. This is an upgraded Camry size. Restricting, not comfortable on long trips, and the seats don't go back far enough. Reclining rear seats are a marketing game. Paint job is very poor - tree sap etched paint. High quality cars should have plenty of clear coat coats. If this is Toyota"s flagship, make it one!! I am very disappointed. The new Venza is even worse - noisy, bumpy ride!

Favorite Features

Very peppy.

Suggested Improvements

Widen car like 2003 model (the person who recommended I buy an Avalon has one). I have a 2006 Sienna with comfortable seats - make Avalon as comfortable. Add more clear coat coats.

Oops!
By Jeff

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Beautiful car except it came with a front end vibration at 38-42 mph and above 60 mph. 5 trips to the dealer and 4,000 miles later, it has a reduced but constant vibration that is a nuisance at 39 mph and discomfort above 60. The dealership replaced 2 tires and then all 4 with a harder tire. You feel every little imperfection in the road and the vibration puts your backside to sleep. After a 250 mile trip, I was exhausted. This car should be a dream to drive but unfortunately it's a bad dream. Filing for a replacement under FL lemon law.

Favorite Features

Whistles and bells are great.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota should road test their vehicles before selling them.

I absolutely love to drive it!
By David H

2009 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When shopping for our car, we researched the purchase for a good year. We took into consideration our age, our abilities (and disabilities), cost, maintenance costs, reliability, etc., and came to the determination that this was the best car for us to purchase. The 8-way power seats both driver and passenger were a must for us, and love the fact that both of us can maintain max comfort possible. When the wife's back is really hurting, she wants to go on a road trip, or just sit in the car to get it settled down! We get 26-28 MPG in town, and up to 34 MPG on road trips. The Limited with AC in seats was hard on the wife's knee replacement but wasn't worth the cost to get laser cruise.

Favorite Features

I love the JBL 6-disc stereo system (but a little loud for rear-seat passengers), 8-way power seats driver AND passenger w. lumbar support, good handling, smooth ride, almost flat cornering on curves, quiet ride, more than plenty of power for steep mountain hill climbing, and dual AC controls.

Suggested Improvements

PLEASE allow the optional laser cruise control on other than the Limited version! Rear seats comfy, but stereo too loud for passengers. Need to be able to adjust speaker balance easier. Wider armrests on doors would be nice added feature-just a little narrow. Blind spot on pass. side noticeable.