Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

After a year of my Avalon...
By virginia

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I owned 2 Honda Accord Limited then changed to Camry Limited in 2005. Loved it but decided to upgrade to the Avalon in 2008. I absolutely LOVE the comfort, quiet ride, "giddy-up" when you need to move, but can't agree more with the other reviewers that Toyota needs to REIMBURSE ALL OF US WHO WASTED THE MONEY ON THE GPS! IT IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST SYSTEM!!!! Completely unfriendly. I had the touchscreen version on my Camry and it was much better. Better to buy a NUVI- just bought an 885T and LOVE IT! Significantly cheaper than the MAJOR RIPPOFF OF TOYOTAS SYSTEM!!!!!!

Overall good car but...
By Kevin

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I like the quiet ride. Seats are comfortable but with my long legs I would prefer for the seat to go back more. The GPS totally stinks, don't blow your money on it, I have a 200 dollar GPS for my other car that is WAY easier to use. The traction control should have a manual override button. I got stuck on the hill going up my driveway in an ice storm and needed a bit more wheel spin, the traction control did not allow it. I love the headlights for brightness but just found out that the replacement bulbs are $325 EACH and yes I did say $325 EACH. Both went out at once at 50,000 miles and neither the basic warranty or the extended warranty covers it.

Quiet ride, gas MPG - 24-25 normal driving, and 28-31 hwy depending on how much I stick my foot in it.

GPS STINKS, needs - traction control override, back up camera, more drivers seat leg room, and the telescoping steering wheel should extend more.

TOYOTA AVALON
By PES

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I just purchased this 2008 Avalon replacing a 2001 BMW 530i. the Avalon is NOT a BMW. On the other hand, it burns the same amount of "regular" fuel, is very comfortable to drive, has great traction in snow, and has more bells and whistles than the 530. The BMW cost a fortune to service (yes, the BMW folks are as polite and pleasant as all heck as they charge $150 for an oil change) and I am hoping that the Toyota does not. The fit and finish are equal and the Avalon cost about $20,000 less. Am I happy? you bet I am

Excellent Avalon
By DRJ356

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have been driving my 08 Avalon Limited for just over a year & have 20k on it thus far. Overall I am quite pleased. I've had zero mechanical problems. This car is supremely comfortable to drive & ride in - easily equal to my wife's Lexus. I commute 30 miles each way daily and this car makes the trip very pleasant. Comfort is excellent for 5 adults. Interior is outstanding but with a few cheap materials (plastic doors on console). I'm 6'4" & 250 and have good space. Center console is a bit intrusive. Buy Garmin 700-800 GPS and save $2k. It's stupid not to include a back-up camera as standard equipment on a Limited.

Smooth, quiet & luxurious. Fantastic interior comfort. Drive train is outstanding. Lots of power & amazingly smooth with surprisingly good economy. I drive fast and I have averaged about 24 mpg overall. In town 20-24 mpg, on the highway 22-32 mpg. Outstanding value in a car.

(1) The suspension is entirely too soft if you try to get sporty at speed. You can get into serious trouble if you enter a corner going to fast. (2) The rear-view mirrors should fold. (3) Radar Cruise is very "far sighted" so I bypass it 99%. (4) The steering column should telescope out further.

Tough in the Snow
By CTToyota

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited. Great car, good looking, very nice ride. However with the traction control there is no way to disengage. In snow/Ice sometimes you need to spin your wheels. Once the traction control engages it shuts down the power and wheel spin. great for some things, terrible in the snow when you need wheel spin. Other than that, no complaints.

Heated/cooled seats, bluetooth, sound system.

Update the cabin a bit (it looks like an old caddie interior). Should be able to disengage traction control.

• SUV