Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

DANGEROUS in even a lite snow
By JIM

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mpg has dropped 10 mpgs, and even in a dusting of snow once a wheel spins the computer takes over and gets no power to the wheels, yes I repeat no power to the wheels. You can hold the gas to the floor and the engine will not go above an idle and the transmission goes into neutral on its own.... junk.

big trunk

GET RID OF AUTOMATIC TRACTION & STABILITY CONTROL, sunroof rattles, dash rattles and front seat-bottoms are too short

Check the tranny fluid
By BillBren

2008 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Regarding my 2008 Avalon - On 4 occasions I have put the shift lever into reverse and it doesn't engage right away. On one occasion it shuttered when I backed the car up. The car doesn't seem engage in reverse and then slips. I had a very experienced mechanic check the tranny fluid. You have to drop a small pan in the 08 to check the fluid and it had small metal shavings in the pan. I reported this to Toyota USA.

Don't buy an Avalon
By Sheri

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Don't buy an Avalon unless you want to be unsafe due to these problems: Transmission does not shift properly, causing severe hesitation and lunging, every single minute you are driving. The car will not drive in even a skiff of snow! Cannot disengage the traction control. My driveway is about a 25 degree incline, and it will not go up it. The car is basically "skating" on roads that are not dry. The exterior trim mouldings on roof have come loose and subsequently lost on the freeway, had to replace at my cost, not covered by any warranty. The sound system speakers are very poor design. An old VW has a better one. What a piece of junk! Stay Away! Shame on Toyota.

reclining back seat

Oil leak, paint mismatch, a Toyota?
By kwillliams

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new, oil leak, difficult for dealer to determine source. Eventually block replaced. Paint does not match. Fenders do not meet bumpers as well as one would expect in a top of the line Toyota. I would never buy this car again.

New Avalon … 25,000 miles later
By Skip

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Well 25,000 miles later, I still like the car. I don't love it, but very close. It's a huge step up from my 2008 Camry (which was a great car, just not comfortable enough on the long trips). I'd like to see the finish get tougher in the newer models. My paint seems very easy to scratch. Stock tires are getting near replacement. Most folks who ride in the car... love it! I will have a trip coming up, where we will have 4 adults and we'll be putting on 3,000 - 4,000 in the 2 weeks vacation, and then folks can tell me what they think of the car. I WILL be looking to trade it at the end of the year, as I will have somewhere between 30,000 - 40,000 miles on it. 2010 Avalon, time will tell.

- Heated Seats - Headlights - Trunk Space - Overall looks of the car

Fix the front seats! The leather is sewn as such, that the seams hit my legs in areas, that put them to sleep, and or worse yet, just plain hurts when driving any great distance. - Fix surging when pressing on gas pedal - Make quieter at highway speeds - Make finish tougher.