Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

New Avalon 25,000 miles later
By Skip

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Well 25,000 miles later, I still like the car. I don't love it, but very close. It's a huge step up from my 2008 Camry (which was a great car, just not comfortable enough on the long trips). I'd like to see the finish get tougher in the newer models. My paint seems very easy to scratch. Stock tires are getting near replacement. Most folks who ride in the car... love it! I will have a trip coming up, where we will have 4 adults and we'll be putting on 3,000 - 4,000 in the 2 weeks vacation, and then folks can tell me what they think of the car. I WILL be looking to trade it at the end of the year, as I will have somewhere between 30,000 - 40,000 miles on it. 2010 Avalon, time will tell.

Favorite Features

- Heated Seats - Headlights - Trunk Space - Overall looks of the car

Suggested Improvements

Fix the front seats! The leather is sewn as such, that the seams hit my legs in areas, that put them to sleep, and or worse yet, just plain hurts when driving any great distance. - Fix surging when pressing on gas pedal - Make quieter at highway speeds - Make finish tougher.

My first Toyota
By Bill

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought it used a few weeks ago after much research, thought, and comparisons. I am 59 years old, and have owned many cars. My favorite up to this point was a 1998 Lincoln Continental. I had 90% decided the Avalon Touring was as close as I would ever get to my old continental, so I finally went to try one out. The minute I hit the highway, I knew this was the one. I couldn't be happier after three weeks and 1500 miles. Perfect car for me.

Favorite Features

Size and comfort level. I am a big guy. 6-0 245 pounds. Car is fine. The touring model doesn't "float", so the Ride is great. Not sporty, but not "old man" feeling either.

Suggested Improvements

The driver seat could be a little more "cushy" and a little larger.

This is My Last Toyota
By DaytonaSmith

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The Avalon XLS I bought in 1998 now has 180,000 miles and is going strong. I hoped to repeat this performance with my new 2008 Avalon Limited. The Toyota quality is just no longer there. Problems include road noise, whining and jerking transmission, seats uncomfortable and squeaking, GPS is totally worthless, paint quality is horrible, rear sunshade activates for no reason, console is obtrusive, limited visibility for backing, and much more. I would advise avoiding Toyota until they return to building great cars like those of ten years ago.

Favorite Features

nice wheel styling

Suggested Improvements

Completely replace the GPS, better paint job, restyle windows for visibility, more attention to poor electronics, better transmission, more comfortable seats

Nice car but that darned sun roof
By Bug-Man

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Other than problems with the sunroof its a great car, 36 mpg on the interstate, plenty of room and a huge trunk, smooth ride, handles great..

Favorite Features

36 mpg's, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof rattles and leaks more than it should for the price, dealer can't seem to fix it.

My First Toyota--What a Rush!
By Scott_in_CA

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 2 decades of Chrysler products that have great engines but rotting interior and exteriors I have decided to take the plunge...in the 3 weeks I have owned it I love it!!! Great comfort...awesome gas mileage and classy exterior looks.

Favorite Features

Luxurious interior, audio system, screen display.

Suggested Improvements

7 speed transmission.