Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Most Helpful|
Unexpectedly Luxurious
By LZJay

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm a traveling salesman and I used to rent these on the road. Then I decided to buy one cause it was so comfortable and drove so well. It's definitely a big car but it doesn't feel OR handle like one. It handles like more like sport sedan though far from sports coupe. The back seat is huge which is great if you take clients out for meals or have kids who like to kick your seat: their feet don't reach! Love the heated/AC seats and the moon roof. The NAV and LCD screen is great. The trunk is big enough for all of my sales material, a car seat and my golf clubs at the same time. The 7-speaker JBL sound system is great. It has the same look and feel as the Lexus GS but is priced smartly

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the heated/AC leather seats (really comfortable for my frequent 5-hour and multiple-day road trips) the Navigation system and infinitely smooth ride. This car just glides down the highway like a magic carpet.

Suggested Improvements

Fold-down seats in the back, the ability to change/enter and address on the Nav whike moving, a touch screen on the Nav system and an All-wheel drive option would make this a no- brainer versus other luxury cars.

love it
By jkland

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our avalon touring model for 2.5 years... right now it has around 43k miles. The only issue has been teh headlights.. these were replaced under warrenty. The car has a sportier ride than the other models.. w/ tighter handling,, and doesn't have the floaty feeling. it is quite and smooth.. i haven't had any issues with rattling. I also haven't had any transmission issues or acceleration issues.. i know quite a few people with avalons,, and no one has had any issues with these things.. i really enjoy the car and as a family of 5 ( 2 are teenage boys) we can travel very comfortably and have a huge trunk.. don't miss the space of the minivan.. would highly recommend..

Favorite Features

upgraded stereo,, steering wheel bluetooth controls.. electronic brake assist..(stops on a dime--it has come in handy when someone pulls out right in front of you when youre' doing 50mph.,, love sunroof

Suggested Improvements

narrower, sportier console.

Great Car Except Float Handling
By rfcn2

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When I went shopping in 2008 I really wanted a Caddy CTS or an Acura RL. CTS could not be ordered with blue tooth for phone or laser cruise control. CTS by far drove the best. My Dad passed away about this time and left me a 2001 Avalon. It was a basic one but was very comfortable and got great MPG. So as almost an afterthought I went to Toyota dealer. They had the features I wanted and the car was 15 grand less than Acura. I really planned to hate the Toyota. I now think it is one of the best cars I have owned. Still is floaty and poor on curvy roads. Still overpowers the front wheels if too much gas is given. A great value IMHO. Amazing MPG for something this fast.

Favorite Features

Amazing gas mileage for a fast car. Very good seats, very adjustable, heated and cooled. Fast. Very comfortable for long distance driving. Very very smooth ride. Reliable except for high beams. Excellent transmission. Efficient power train. Rear windows go all the way down. Huge back seat. Big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The 2008 is a geazer-mobile. Get the float out of this thing. I know Toyota knows how to make good handling cars. This thing is absolutely the least fun car to drive in the mountains I have ever been behind the wheel of. Lots of power. This thing needs all wheel drive or at least positraction on the front wheels. You way overpower this thing if you stab the gas. The ipod needs to be controlled. I have given up on ipods and now playing my CDs again. Too much trouble and distracting to use ipod. Where is the sat radio??? Cheap cars get them and this one did not. Overall a really great reliable good gas miles car. Likely one of the best cars you can buy at any price.

Love it!
By ksgirl1

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car used in 2/11. It now has 101,000mi on it. I have it serviced at Toyota and it always checks out fine. So far I have been nothing but pleased. I have put 22,000 miles on it and have taken it on several long 2 day road trips. It is very comfortable. I have two small children and the backseat has tons of space for both of them and all of their stuff. Love the reclining back seats and built in sunshade. Trunk is huge. I have all the bells and whistles and love the navigation, built in Bluetooth etc. We just recently replaced the battery, other than that no issues. Would highly recommend.

Solid
By the rock

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the demo with 8k miles on it for mama. She is completely satisfied and so am I. 33 mpg on the highway if you can believe that. That overall has been the most pleasant surprise. Considered the Lexus but why pay 10-15k more? This has all the features without the increase in price. The 08 is sleeker than the 11 and looks sharper.

Favorite Features

MPG, ride and acceleration. Blizzard pearl gives it that black coat and tie look. The AC in the seats make your bottom feel like Noxzema has been applied.

Suggested Improvements

Tires are about ready to be replaced at 30k miles. Make sure you get a high speed alignment at 30k miles to keep that ride smooth. Idles within OEM parameters but is not super super smooth.