Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Stinks in the snow
By Yoda Mark

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have 2008 Avalon Limited. I have Blizzak snow tires on it but this car totally stinks in the snow. The traction control prevents me from applying torque to the drive wheels when going up a hill. I live in NE Ohio and this just stinks. Other than that I love this car as it is very comfortable, but this is my second winter with this car and I have had enough of this nonsense in the snow. The situation is quite dangerous. Would be OK if it had a switch to disable traction control like in my 04' Sienna. I will probably get rid of the Avalon for this reason - I should have bought an AWD car. I would not recommend this car for this reason.

DANGEROUS in even a lite snow
By JIM

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mpg has dropped 10 mpgs, and even in a dusting of snow once a wheel spins the computer takes over and gets no power to the wheels, yes I repeat no power to the wheels. You can hold the gas to the floor and the engine will not go above an idle and the transmission goes into neutral on its own.... junk.

big trunk

GET RID OF AUTOMATIC TRACTION & STABILITY CONTROL, sunroof rattles, dash rattles and front seat-bottoms are too short

Check the tranny fluid
By BillBren

2008 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Regarding my 2008 Avalon - On 4 occasions I have put the shift lever into reverse and it doesn't engage right away. On one occasion it shuttered when I backed the car up. The car doesn't seem engage in reverse and then slips. I had a very experienced mechanic check the tranny fluid. You have to drop a small pan in the 08 to check the fluid and it had small metal shavings in the pan. I reported this to Toyota USA.

Don't buy an Avalon
By Sheri

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Don't buy an Avalon unless you want to be unsafe due to these problems: Transmission does not shift properly, causing severe hesitation and lunging, every single minute you are driving. The car will not drive in even a skiff of snow! Cannot disengage the traction control. My driveway is about a 25 degree incline, and it will not go up it. The car is basically "skating" on roads that are not dry. The exterior trim mouldings on roof have come loose and subsequently lost on the freeway, had to replace at my cost, not covered by any warranty. The sound system speakers are very poor design. An old VW has a better one. What a piece of junk! Stay Away! Shame on Toyota.

reclining back seat

Oil leak, paint mismatch, a Toyota?
By kwillliams

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new, oil leak, difficult for dealer to determine source. Eventually block replaced. Paint does not match. Fenders do not meet bumpers as well as one would expect in a top of the line Toyota. I would never buy this car again.