Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Meant for comfort, not active "driving".
By Ron

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2008 used, with 33k miles. Replaced a 2001 Solara SLE. Avalon seats have more adjustments, but less padding. Faux wood steering grips not as comfortable as leather. Road noise well-muted. It's so quiet at idle that I got confused once and didn't realize it was still running. LOVE the smart key. Good sound system for a car. LCD is real nice for the radio and climate controls. No squeaks or rattles, feels like driving a Swiss watch. BIG car, but doesn't look or drive like it. Controls oddly placed, but most-used ones are on wheel. Handles comfortably, but not "fun" to drive; powerful, but not a race car. Wafts you along in your own little bubble instead.

The smart key is very cool. LCD display of radio and climate excellent. It's not silent, so don't expect that, but it's very quiet. If you're into the actual process of driving, you probably won't like this car. If you'd rather be comfortable, though, buy an Avalon.

I'd like a little more padding on the seats, and where my knee hits the center console at cruise is hard plastic instead of soft leather. I'd prefer that softened up. Folding rear seats would be fantastic. I liked the feel of hydraulic steering better. Nav system is useful only for location.

like it
By John682429

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have put 36,000 miles on my Avalon and the only problem i have is the low profile tires will not last over 25,000 miles even when rotated every other oil change. I average 34 mpg on road trips and average 26 around town and highway combined. Car is very fun to drive and very comfortable. I don't like the drink holding area at night as proper light is not provided to access drinks and find items in the stash box. Trunk space is very large and my passengers love the rear comfort of the rear as plenty of room for comfort. Around 34,000 service engine light came on and Vehicle Traction Control came on. I would suggest this car to anyone looking for a car of comfort and plenty of interior space

The smooth ride. Driving in snow have no problems. All interior features can be changed at the steering wheel.

Tires wear to easy. Would improve lighting for drink holders.

not a caddy ,please
By haybailer

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The touring is a low rider, street driver with low profile tires and a sport tuned ride. It rides like my 2000 4matic although the Avalon is fwd, Taller strut towers and low profile, so I'm told so far. Tire bite good in snow, Nokians. But ,I'm trying to soften the ride this summer threw after market seek. Softer struts. These cars are fine for the money.

24 mpg on reg, quite even with snow tires. good value.

Leg room for the drivers. May be upwards for long legged people or center counsels really are too wide in a lot of cars.

Great Technology & Huge Interior
By drews

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My Avalon XLS Limited has bee excellent. The technology and space really set it apart. I have been averaging about 27 mpg. Love the adaptive cruise control and audio system. Air Conditioned seats are awesome in the South. I have not had one problem with the car although it is being recalled for the acceleration. The care feels like a limousine. Passengers are very comfortable. The car is VERY quiet. My only problems are that the GPS is clunky to use and I hate the covers over the audio and pop out nav stuff (can you say cheesy).

Adaptive Cruise Control, Sound System, Unbelievable space

GPS is very hard to use. All of the covers around audio and GPS features are cheesy

What Is Up?
By JD

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 15 months. It is my first and last Toyota. I have been driving a Cadillac for a few years and tried something different. It is different allright but not good. In snow and ice this thing is dangerous. My FWD Caddy with traction and stabilitrack was great. This Toyota is a white knuckler,it must not snow in Japan! The seats in this car are a joke! I cannot get comfortable no matter how I adjust- I think they are too short. The GPS is so hard to use that I don't try anymore. I had it in my old car it was EZ. I like to take care of my cars and the paint on this car is junk. You cannot get a blk. car to shine? The dash rattles, my sunroof rattles and it drives me crazy.

Electronics other than GPS. The look of the dash. MPG acceptable

Redesign seats- new GPS better paint - some sort of Traction control system that works better fit and finish in the interior.