2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Stinks in the snow
By Yoda Mark on 01/04/10 08:00 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have 2008 Avalon Limited. I have Blizzak snow tires on it but this car totally stinks in the snow. The traction control prevents me from applying torque to the drive wheels when going up a hill. I live in NE Ohio and this just stinks. Other than that I love this car as it is very comfortable, but this is my second winter with this car and I have had enough of this nonsense in the snow. The situation is quite dangerous. Would be OK if it had a switch to disable traction control like in my 04' Sienna. I will probably get rid of the Avalon for this reason - I should have bought an AWD car. I would not recommend this car for this reason.

DANGEROUS in even a lite snow
By JIM on 12/19/09 10:21 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mpg has dropped 10 mpgs, and even in a dusting of snow once a wheel spins the computer takes over and gets no power to the wheels, yes I repeat no power to the wheels. You can hold the gas to the floor and the engine will not go above an idle and the transmission goes into neutral on its own.... junk.

Check the tranny fluid
By BillBren on 12/15/09 08:01 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Regarding my 2008 Avalon - On 4 occasions I have put the shift lever into reverse and it doesn't engage right away. On one occasion it shuttered when I backed the car up. The car doesn't seem engage in reverse and then slips. I had a very experienced mechanic check the tranny fluid. You have to drop a small pan in the 08 to check the fluid and it had small metal shavings in the pan. I reported this to Toyota USA.

Don't buy an Avalon
By Sheri on 11/16/09 12:11 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Don't buy an Avalon unless you want to be unsafe due to these problems: Transmission does not shift properly, causing severe hesitation and lunging, every single minute you are driving. The car will not drive in even a skiff of snow! Cannot disengage the traction control. My driveway is about a 25 degree incline, and it will not go up it. The car is basically "skating" on roads that are not dry. The exterior trim mouldings on roof have come loose and subsequently lost on the freeway, had to replace at my cost, not covered by any warranty. The sound system speakers are very poor design. An old VW has a better one. What a piece of junk! Stay Away! Shame on Toyota.

Oil leak, paint mismatch, a Toyota?
By kwillliams on 09/18/09 17:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new, oil leak, difficult for dealer to determine source. Eventually block replaced. Paint does not match. Fenders do not meet bumpers as well as one would expect in a top of the line Toyota. I would never buy this car again.

New Avalon … 25,000 miles later
By Skip on 09/14/09 04:45 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Well 25,000 miles later, I still like the car. I don't love it, but very close. It's a huge step up from my 2008 Camry (which was a great car, just not comfortable enough on the long trips). I'd like to see the finish get tougher in the newer models. My paint seems very easy to scratch. Stock tires are getting near replacement. Most folks who ride in the car... love it! I will have a trip coming up, where we will have 4 adults and we'll be putting on 3,000 - 4,000 in the 2 weeks vacation, and then folks can tell me what they think of the car. I WILL be looking to trade it at the end of the year, as I will have somewhere between 30,000 - 40,000 miles on it. 2010 Avalon, time will tell.

My first Toyota
By Bill on 09/03/09 23:26 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought it used a few weeks ago after much research, thought, and comparisons. I am 59 years old, and have owned many cars. My favorite up to this point was a 1998 Lincoln Continental. I had 90% decided the Avalon Touring was as close as I would ever get to my old continental, so I finally went to try one out. The minute I hit the highway, I knew this was the one. I couldn't be happier after three weeks and 1500 miles. Perfect car for me.

This is My Last Toyota
By DaytonaSmith on 08/15/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The Avalon XLS I bought in 1998 now has 180,000 miles and is going strong. I hoped to repeat this performance with my new 2008 Avalon Limited. The Toyota quality is just no longer there. Problems include road noise, whining and jerking transmission, seats uncomfortable and squeaking, GPS is totally worthless, paint quality is horrible, rear sunshade activates for no reason, console is obtrusive, limited visibility for backing, and much more. I would advise avoiding Toyota until they return to building great cars like those of ten years ago.

Nice car but that darned sun roof
By Bug-Man on 07/14/09 20:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Other than problems with the sunroof its a great car, 36 mpg on the interstate, plenty of room and a huge trunk, smooth ride, handles great..

My First Toyota--What a Rush!
By Scott_in_CA on 06/22/09 17:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 2 decades of Chrysler products that have great engines but rotting interior and exteriors I have decided to take the plunge...in the 3 weeks I have owned it I love it!!! Great comfort...awesome gas mileage and classy exterior looks.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Avalon in WA is:

$141 per month*