2008 Toyota Avalon Consumer Review: 2008 Avalon Limited not perfec

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Review

2008 Avalon Limited not perfect
By patrick59 on

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an '08 Avalon Limited with 28,000 miles on it four months ago. So far, I'm only somewhat satisfied. Unfortunately, the dashboard rattled and squeaked as if it had 180,000 miles, although I didn't notice that when I test drove it. I had to jam coins down the sides of the dash where it meets the windshield columns in order to tighten it up. The workmanship of the assembly is poor. Also, the front seats would not heat or cool, but the dealer fixed that problem before I took posession. I like the bluetooth connectivity, but the sound of the phone only comes out of one speaker and it distorts pretty badly if you turn it up enough to hear the other person at highway speeds.

However, it does handle pretty well, has good acceleration, and is fairly quiet inside now that I've gotten some of the squeaks out of it. Wind and road noise are minimal. The seats are supportive and it's generally very comfortable on a long trips which I've now done many times. The audio system sounds very good and is easy to use, as are the other controls, which are arranged pretty thoughtfully. The gas mileage seems to be good, but I really don't know exactly because the trip computer is pretty useless due to the total lack of thought in the way it's designed.

The trip computer can't be reset at will by the driver. It resets itself whenever you put gas in the tank. So, you can't clock your average mileage for prolonged intervals. Also, you can't isolate highway mileage only. I get gas and then head to the turnpike. 25 miles down the road, the average is still slowly climbing because it's factoring in the idling and red lights getting to the highway. I've never had a car that doesn't let the driver reset the mpg. WHAT is Toyota thinking? Worse, the trip timer resets every time you turn off the engine. So much for clocking your driving time on a long trip. Don't make any pitstops unless you write down the elapsed times and add it all up. Useless.