2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews 2

2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

2008 Avalon Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Warning on Toyota Period
By d. smith

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 5th Avalon. I have enjoyed the comfort and mileage and I thought quality to this point. This model the 08 was involved in the acceleration recall and computer adjustment. But just this past week the light all of a sudden went totally out! Upon investigation it's the classic HID light problem that is so abundant on the Prius. Apparently Toyota is well aware of the problem and the critical safety issues involved if you go to consumer reports, NHTSA, etc you may well be surprised of the cost involved with the HID light problems w/ avalons and most notably the Prius. This is a definite safety issue as the lights will fail with no warning. Very expensive repair stay away from them

Solid
By the rock

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the demo with 8k miles on it for mama. She is completely satisfied and so am I. 33 mpg on the highway if you can believe that. That overall has been the most pleasant surprise. Considered the Lexus but why pay 10-15k more? This has all the features without the increase in price. The 08 is sleeker than the 11 and looks sharper.

Favorite Features

MPG, ride and acceleration. Blizzard pearl gives it that black coat and tie look. The AC in the seats make your bottom feel like Noxzema has been applied.

Suggested Improvements

Tires are about ready to be replaced at 30k miles. Make sure you get a high speed alignment at 30k miles to keep that ride smooth. Idles within OEM parameters but is not super super smooth.

Disappointed
By cadllac man

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 1500 miles our 2006 Toyota Avalon needed a new engine because of a condition know as valve lash. Fitzgerald replaced the car with another new Avalon at no cost to us. We purchased a new 2008 Avalon. After 13,000 miles this engine when first started and driven has begun to make knocking noises. The noise gets lower when the engine warms up. There is nothing that be done. Just hope for the best and change the oil sooner than factory specks.

Favorite Features

gas mileage 26 city 35 hwy. performance, interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires the bridgestones have no control in sudden turns are like marsh mellows. Both front seats need more thigh support. Lower cost for wiper blades $28 for one $18 for the other.

love it
By jkland

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We have had our avalon touring model for 2.5 years... right now it has around 43k miles. The only issue has been teh headlights.. these were replaced under warrenty. The car has a sportier ride than the other models.. w/ tighter handling,, and doesn't have the floaty feeling. it is quite and smooth.. i haven't had any issues with rattling. I also haven't had any transmission issues or acceleration issues.. i know quite a few people with avalons,, and no one has had any issues with these things.. i really enjoy the car and as a family of 5 ( 2 are teenage boys) we can travel very comfortably and have a huge trunk.. don't miss the space of the minivan.. would highly recommend..

Favorite Features

upgraded stereo,, steering wheel bluetooth controls.. electronic brake assist..(stops on a dime--it has come in handy when someone pulls out right in front of you when youre' doing 50mph.,, love sunroof

Suggested Improvements

narrower, sportier console.

Unexpectedly Luxurious
By LZJay

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm a traveling salesman and I used to rent these on the road. Then I decided to buy one cause it was so comfortable and drove so well. It's definitely a big car but it doesn't feel OR handle like one. It handles like more like sport sedan though far from sports coupe. The back seat is huge which is great if you take clients out for meals or have kids who like to kick your seat: their feet don't reach! Love the heated/AC seats and the moon roof. The NAV and LCD screen is great. The trunk is big enough for all of my sales material, a car seat and my golf clubs at the same time. The 7-speaker JBL sound system is great. It has the same look and feel as the Lexus GS but is priced smartly

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the heated/AC leather seats (really comfortable for my frequent 5-hour and multiple-day road trips) the Navigation system and infinitely smooth ride. This car just glides down the highway like a magic carpet.

Suggested Improvements

Fold-down seats in the back, the ability to change/enter and address on the Nav whike moving, a touch screen on the Nav system and an All-wheel drive option would make this a no- brainer versus other luxury cars.

Meant for comfort, not active "driving".
By Ron

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just bought a 2008 used, with 33k miles. Replaced a 2001 Solara SLE. Avalon seats have more adjustments, but less padding. Faux wood steering grips not as comfortable as leather. Road noise well-muted. It's so quiet at idle that I got confused once and didn't realize it was still running. LOVE the smart key. Good sound system for a car. LCD is real nice for the radio and climate controls. No squeaks or rattles, feels like driving a Swiss watch. BIG car, but doesn't look or drive like it. Controls oddly placed, but most-used ones are on wheel. Handles comfortably, but not "fun" to drive; powerful, but not a race car. Wafts you along in your own little bubble instead.

Favorite Features

The smart key is very cool. LCD display of radio and climate excellent. It's not silent, so don't expect that, but it's very quiet. If you're into the actual process of driving, you probably won't like this car. If you'd rather be comfortable, though, buy an Avalon.

Suggested Improvements

I'd like a little more padding on the seats, and where my knee hits the center console at cruise is hard plastic instead of soft leather. I'd prefer that softened up. Folding rear seats would be fantastic. I liked the feel of hydraulic steering better. Nav system is useful only for location.

like it
By John682429

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have put 36,000 miles on my Avalon and the only problem i have is the low profile tires will not last over 25,000 miles even when rotated every other oil change. I average 34 mpg on road trips and average 26 around town and highway combined. Car is very fun to drive and very comfortable. I don't like the drink holding area at night as proper light is not provided to access drinks and find items in the stash box. Trunk space is very large and my passengers love the rear comfort of the rear as plenty of room for comfort. Around 34,000 service engine light came on and Vehicle Traction Control came on. I would suggest this car to anyone looking for a car of comfort and plenty of interior space

Favorite Features

The smooth ride. Driving in snow have no problems. All interior features can be changed at the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Tires wear to easy. Would improve lighting for drink holders.

not a caddy ,please
By haybailer

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The touring is a low rider, street driver with low profile tires and a sport tuned ride. It rides like my 2000 4matic although the Avalon is fwd, Taller strut towers and low profile, so I'm told so far. Tire bite good in snow, Nokians. But ,I'm trying to soften the ride this summer threw after market seek. Softer struts. These cars are fine for the money.

Favorite Features

24 mpg on reg, quite even with snow tires. good value.

Suggested Improvements

Leg room for the drivers. May be upwards for long legged people or center counsels really are too wide in a lot of cars.

Great Technology & Huge Interior
By drews

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My Avalon XLS Limited has bee excellent. The technology and space really set it apart. I have been averaging about 27 mpg. Love the adaptive cruise control and audio system. Air Conditioned seats are awesome in the South. I have not had one problem with the car although it is being recalled for the acceleration. The care feels like a limousine. Passengers are very comfortable. The car is VERY quiet. My only problems are that the GPS is clunky to use and I hate the covers over the audio and pop out nav stuff (can you say cheesy).

Favorite Features

Adaptive Cruise Control, Sound System, Unbelievable space

Suggested Improvements

GPS is very hard to use. All of the covers around audio and GPS features are cheesy

What Is Up?
By JD

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 15 months. It is my first and last Toyota. I have been driving a Cadillac for a few years and tried something different. It is different allright but not good. In snow and ice this thing is dangerous. My FWD Caddy with traction and stabilitrack was great. This Toyota is a white knuckler,it must not snow in Japan! The seats in this car are a joke! I cannot get comfortable no matter how I adjust- I think they are too short. The GPS is so hard to use that I don't try anymore. I had it in my old car it was EZ. I like to take care of my cars and the paint on this car is junk. You cannot get a blk. car to shine? The dash rattles, my sunroof rattles and it drives me crazy.

Favorite Features

Electronics other than GPS. The look of the dash. MPG acceptable

Suggested Improvements

Redesign seats- new GPS better paint - some sort of Traction control system that works better fit and finish in the interior.