Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Unexpected Quality
By luvtoyota10

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a Toyota Venza, this is my father's car and I thought it was just some slow, floaty old man car. I was kind of wrong. Its not slow and floaty at all, but still kind of an old man car. This touring model almost drives like a camry but the sterring is light and vague, like my Venza. Its pretty agile for its size. The ride is very comfortable even with the touring suspension, unlike my 2010 venza... There is still more body roll than I expected but I like its stability. The HID headlamps are cool but expesive in the long-run. I wish the display for the radio and climate controls were a bit better. I really like the color scheme too it's Blue Mirage exterior and Black leather interior.

I like the sound system, comfortable ride, handling, color, sunroof, interior material quality, and I apreciate its agility. HID headlamps also.

Interior design, Its bad in the snow.. Needs more personality (exterior).

WILL NEVER TOYOTA AGAIN!!!
By tanniel

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have always owned a Toyota vehicle. I am a loyal customer of that brand. However, I WILL NEVER BUY A TOYOTA AGAIN!!!!! EVER!!!! Marietta Toyota on Cobb Parkway is CRAP!!!! The service center is HORRIBLE!!!! Worst attitudes there this morning as if I owe THEM SOMETHING!!! I have a 2008 Avalon that has a headlight out IN LESS THAN 5 YEARS and they will not replace it unless I pay $300!!! Toyota is crooked, and CLEARLY doesn't stand by their work/products... Hyundai has warranties that last up to TEN YEARS and 200K miles and their cars are way cheaper!!! That is a HUGE slap in the face! I was looking to get a Lexus next year but after this experience my next car WILL NOT be a Toyota!

Create better warranties that show they stand by the products they present to the market.

The best car I've ever owned!
By snowwie

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The 2008 Toyota Avalon is the best value car in its class. The ride is very smooth & quiet. I've test drove the Lexus GS before I test drove the avalon and I could not tell the difference in performance. The avalon has more cabin space at lower price

Very smooth & quiet engine with great MPG for a V6. The seats are very confortable

The trunk will open when the button is pressed while moving. This needs to be corrected.

2008 Avalon Limited not perfect
By patrick59

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an '08 Avalon Limited with 28,000 miles on it four months ago. So far, I'm only somewhat satisfied. Unfortunately, the dashboard rattled and squeaked as if it had 180,000 miles, although I didn't notice that when I test drove it. I had to jam coins down the sides of the dash where it meets the windshield columns in order to tighten it up. The workmanship of the assembly is poor. Also, the front seats would not heat or cool, but the dealer fixed that problem before I took posession. I like the bluetooth connectivity, but the sound of the phone only comes out of one speaker and it distorts pretty badly if you turn it up enough to hear the other person at highway speeds.

However, it does handle pretty well, has good acceleration, and is fairly quiet inside now that I've gotten some of the squeaks out of it. Wind and road noise are minimal. The seats are supportive and it's generally very comfortable on a long trips which I've now done many times. The audio system sounds very good and is easy to use, as are the other controls, which are arranged pretty thoughtfully. The gas mileage seems to be good, but I really don't know exactly because the trip computer is pretty useless due to the total lack of thought in the way it's designed.

The trip computer can't be reset at will by the driver. It resets itself whenever you put gas in the tank. So, you can't clock your average mileage for prolonged intervals. Also, you can't isolate highway mileage only. I get gas and then head to the turnpike. 25 miles down the road, the average is still slowly climbing because it's factoring in the idling and red lights getting to the highway. I've never had a car that doesn't let the driver reset the mpg. WHAT is Toyota thinking? Worse, the trip timer resets every time you turn off the engine. So much for clocking your driving time on a long trip. Don't make any pitstops unless you write down the elapsed times and add it all up. Useless.

This one I like
By Per

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Intended to buy a Camry from 2001 ended up with Avalon Touring. Already at test driving the car, it had similar features as my Volvo V70. A nice smooth ride. After only one week of driving, I have found the MPG (Vs. listed on websites) much better. So far I have been averaging 28.7 in combined city and highway driving! This is not from the dash-info, but personal log. All features working perfectly. Never thought I would become a Toyota owner, I am happy with this one!!

Dual heated seats along with dual air zones. Great MPG. Good combination of low/high-beam. Reclined rear seats. Good ground clearance.

Can't improve an old car...... ;-)