Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

It is what we thought it would be...
By iknowhatikno

2008 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you are looking for a used Avalon, this is the year to start from. The revised 6 speed transmission is a marked improvement in smoothness, gas mileage, and reliability over the 5 speed autos from 2005-07. There are numerous websites and complaints about thse tranys). Also, the car was freshened on the exterior and has an Ipod plug. The one issue with the '08 model year is the headlamp assemblies, which are a well-documented problem. The good news is that Toyota extended the warranty for the headlamp assemblies for 5 years and 75000 miles from the original in service date. But you have to call Toyota because many dealers will rip off the unsaavy. The Avalon is otherwise a great car.

My consistent gas mileage is 33 mpg highway (usually cruising at 75 mph) and 26 around town, as long as you don't race from stop light to stop light. This is not a sports car by any means, and begs to be driven easily and serenely. Your rewards is a fantastic and comfortable ride, with a very potent engine and yet unbelievable gas mileage. How many 270 HP cars with plenty of room for 5 get 33 mpg highway? My Avalon actually gets slightly better gas mileage than my friend's 2011 Altima, although it has nearly 100 more horsepower! This car has no squeaks or rattles of any kind, and I have to trek up a long, steep, unpaved driveway every day. Also, the materials quality inside is excellent.

The trunk is relatively small for such a large car. The front console cupholder slants so that the drink actually is held at an angle, which is a strange engineering oversight. The long handled telescoping adjustment for the steering wheel feels flimsy and does not fit with the rest of the car's interior quality. It would be nice to have some control over the trip computer, although I like the fact that gas mileage resets every time you fill the tank so you get legitimate tracking various types of driving. If you do drive the Avalon hard, thinking of yourself as a NYC cab driver, your gas mileage drops precipitously. Otherwise, this is the best investments you can make for a family sedan!

Holding it's value!
By pj_flygare

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

How many times can you buy a car and two years later have equity for such? Bought this 2008 style two years ago @52k miles. Both HD light had to be replaced the first month. TOYOTA DIDN'T COVERED THAT! BAD TOYOTA! USD 800 for parts and service! On the other hand MPG, amazing! City=28, Highway= 33. Right rear wheel bearing is making noises, about 400 dollar service. Paint is very soft, already have several rust spots on hood and side panels. Comfort amazing! Noise level inside, higher than my previous 1998 Volvo V70!? JBL sound system not to par, not good at all.

Visibility! Fuel economy!

This car need a better sound system, the JBL provided is way under par. Driver and passenger seat uncomfortable during long ride. Trunk lip way to high! Let me change the light bulbs, please!!!!

Unexpected Quality
By luvtoyota10

2008 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a Toyota Venza, this is my father's car and I thought it was just some slow, floaty old man car. I was kind of wrong. Its not slow and floaty at all, but still kind of an old man car. This touring model almost drives like a camry but the sterring is light and vague, like my Venza. Its pretty agile for its size. The ride is very comfortable even with the touring suspension, unlike my 2010 venza... There is still more body roll than I expected but I like its stability. The HID headlamps are cool but expesive in the long-run. I wish the display for the radio and climate controls were a bit better. I really like the color scheme too it's Blue Mirage exterior and Black leather interior.

I like the sound system, comfortable ride, handling, color, sunroof, interior material quality, and I apreciate its agility. HID headlamps also.

Interior design, Its bad in the snow.. Needs more personality (exterior).

WILL NEVER TOYOTA AGAIN!!!
By tanniel

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have always owned a Toyota vehicle. I am a loyal customer of that brand. However, I WILL NEVER BUY A TOYOTA AGAIN!!!!! EVER!!!! Marietta Toyota on Cobb Parkway is CRAP!!!! The service center is HORRIBLE!!!! Worst attitudes there this morning as if I owe THEM SOMETHING!!! I have a 2008 Avalon that has a headlight out IN LESS THAN 5 YEARS and they will not replace it unless I pay $300!!! Toyota is crooked, and CLEARLY doesn't stand by their work/products... Hyundai has warranties that last up to TEN YEARS and 200K miles and their cars are way cheaper!!! That is a HUGE slap in the face! I was looking to get a Lexus next year but after this experience my next car WILL NOT be a Toyota!

Create better warranties that show they stand by the products they present to the market.

The best car I've ever owned!
By snowwie

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The 2008 Toyota Avalon is the best value car in its class. The ride is very smooth & quiet. I've test drove the Lexus GS before I test drove the avalon and I could not tell the difference in performance. The avalon has more cabin space at lower price

Very smooth & quiet engine with great MPG for a V6. The seats are very confortable

The trunk will open when the button is pressed while moving. This needs to be corrected.

• SUV