2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
It is what we thought it would be...
By iknowhatikno on 10/17/12 09:33 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you are looking for a used Avalon, this is the year to start from. The revised 6 speed transmission is a marked improvement in smoothness, gas mileage, and reliability over the 5 speed autos from 2005-07. There are numerous websites and complaints about thse tranys). Also, the car was freshened on the exterior and has an Ipod plug. The one issue with the '08 model year is the headlamp assemblies, which are a well-documented problem. The good news is that Toyota extended the warranty for the headlamp assemblies for 5 years and 75000 miles from the original in service date. But you have to call Toyota because many dealers will rip off the unsaavy. The Avalon is otherwise a great car.

Disappointed
By cadllac man on 05/25/10 08:35 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After 1500 miles our 2006 Toyota Avalon needed a new engine because of a condition know as valve lash. Fitzgerald replaced the car with another new Avalon at no cost to us. We purchased a new 2008 Avalon. After 13,000 miles this engine when first started and driven has begun to make knocking noises. The noise gets lower when the engine warms up. There is nothing that be done. Just hope for the best and change the oil sooner than factory specks.

Check the tranny fluid
By BillBren on 12/15/09 08:01 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Regarding my 2008 Avalon - On 4 occasions I have put the shift lever into reverse and it doesn't engage right away. On one occasion it shuttered when I backed the car up. The car doesn't seem engage in reverse and then slips. I had a very experienced mechanic check the tranny fluid. You have to drop a small pan in the 08 to check the fluid and it had small metal shavings in the pan. I reported this to Toyota USA.

Great value
By Rob C on 10/05/08 08:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I recently purchased this 2008 Avalon XL and I have been very satisfied with it. This vehicle accelerates and handles adequately despite this being a mid-large size sedan. I'm also very surprised but equally impressed with the overall fuel mileage that this vehicle is getting (avg. 29 mpg). The interior cabin is very quiet and is there's plenty of room for up to five people to sit comfortably.

Entry/Exit Not Easy
By Petals on 11/27/07 19:19 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had a '99 Avalon and now '08. New Avalon has smooth and solid ride and gives sense of safety. Turning radius is tight for a big car and this is a plus. I miss the bench seat in the '99. Entry and exit on new Avalon is terrible. I am female-5'6" (sr) and have to practically back in to enter and swing my legs out (they still hit the side of car) to exit. Door is too big and heavy. Toyota might be trying to appeal to younger buyer and may lose seniors if high beltline, heavy doors and entry/exit are not improved. My husband who is 5'11" cannot get into this car without extensive planning and exact maneuvering-not enough leg room for driver. Need more room in front-not back

Best Automobile Bar None
By Ron Sullivan on 10/04/07 18:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I recently purchased another automobile built by Ford (2008), kept it 2 weeks then test drove the Totota Avalon and traded the same day. I have had five previous Toyotas, including a 2000 Avalon. I had forgotten what the overall Toyota experience was like. This Avalon should withstand weather, bad roads and any other element that can be thrown at it. My XL is loaded with about every option available and was a little pricy. However, I feel the vehicle will outlast and outperform any other car in its class. I even checked out the C-class Mercedes and it wasn't even close. I love its looks, safety features, handling and it just being an Avalon.

A Grand Car
By jguen123@comcast.net on 09/27/07 18:04 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Everything about this car (XL 2008) is tops. Ride, power, omfort, handling, interior, sound system is excellent. Build quality is great. Looks and feels superb. Although it is a large car it handles beautifully. If you are thinking about this car, put your worries to rest. You cannot go wrong with this one. I stayed at the bottom of the line with an XL and am not sorry I did. It has everything you need to arrive in style.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan in NJ is:

$194 per month*