Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Great Car Except Float Handling
By rfcn2

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When I went shopping in 2008 I really wanted a Caddy CTS or an Acura RL. CTS could not be ordered with blue tooth for phone or laser cruise control. CTS by far drove the best. My Dad passed away about this time and left me a 2001 Avalon. It was a basic one but was very comfortable and got great MPG. So as almost an afterthought I went to Toyota dealer. They had the features I wanted and the car was 15 grand less than Acura. I really planned to hate the Toyota. I now think it is one of the best cars I have owned. Still is floaty and poor on curvy roads. Still overpowers the front wheels if too much gas is given. A great value IMHO. Amazing MPG for something this fast.

Amazing gas mileage for a fast car. Very good seats, very adjustable, heated and cooled. Fast. Very comfortable for long distance driving. Very very smooth ride. Reliable except for high beams. Excellent transmission. Efficient power train. Rear windows go all the way down. Huge back seat. Big trunk.

The 2008 is a geazer-mobile. Get the float out of this thing. I know Toyota knows how to make good handling cars. This thing is absolutely the least fun car to drive in the mountains I have ever been behind the wheel of. Lots of power. This thing needs all wheel drive or at least positraction on the front wheels. You way overpower this thing if you stab the gas. The ipod needs to be controlled. I have given up on ipods and now playing my CDs again. Too much trouble and distracting to use ipod. Where is the sat radio??? Cheap cars get them and this one did not. Overall a really great reliable good gas miles car. Likely one of the best cars you can buy at any price.

Love it!
By ksgirl1

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car used in 2/11. It now has 101,000mi on it. I have it serviced at Toyota and it always checks out fine. So far I have been nothing but pleased. I have put 22,000 miles on it and have taken it on several long 2 day road trips. It is very comfortable. I have two small children and the backseat has tons of space for both of them and all of their stuff. Love the reclining back seats and built in sunshade. Trunk is huge. I have all the bells and whistles and love the navigation, built in Bluetooth etc. We just recently replaced the battery, other than that no issues. Would highly recommend.

The best car I've ever owned!
By snowwie

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The 2008 Toyota Avalon is the best value car in its class. The ride is very smooth & quiet. I've test drove the Lexus GS before I test drove the avalon and I could not tell the difference in performance. The avalon has more cabin space at lower price

Very smooth & quiet engine with great MPG for a V6. The seats are very confortable

The trunk will open when the button is pressed while moving. This needs to be corrected.

2008 Avalon Limited not perfect
By patrick59

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an '08 Avalon Limited with 28,000 miles on it four months ago. So far, I'm only somewhat satisfied. Unfortunately, the dashboard rattled and squeaked as if it had 180,000 miles, although I didn't notice that when I test drove it. I had to jam coins down the sides of the dash where it meets the windshield columns in order to tighten it up. The workmanship of the assembly is poor. Also, the front seats would not heat or cool, but the dealer fixed that problem before I took posession. I like the bluetooth connectivity, but the sound of the phone only comes out of one speaker and it distorts pretty badly if you turn it up enough to hear the other person at highway speeds.

However, it does handle pretty well, has good acceleration, and is fairly quiet inside now that I've gotten some of the squeaks out of it. Wind and road noise are minimal. The seats are supportive and it's generally very comfortable on a long trips which I've now done many times. The audio system sounds very good and is easy to use, as are the other controls, which are arranged pretty thoughtfully. The gas mileage seems to be good, but I really don't know exactly because the trip computer is pretty useless due to the total lack of thought in the way it's designed.

The trip computer can't be reset at will by the driver. It resets itself whenever you put gas in the tank. So, you can't clock your average mileage for prolonged intervals. Also, you can't isolate highway mileage only. I get gas and then head to the turnpike. 25 miles down the road, the average is still slowly climbing because it's factoring in the idling and red lights getting to the highway. I've never had a car that doesn't let the driver reset the mpg. WHAT is Toyota thinking? Worse, the trip timer resets every time you turn off the engine. So much for clocking your driving time on a long trip. Don't make any pitstops unless you write down the elapsed times and add it all up. Useless.

Warning on Toyota Period
By d. smith

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 5th Avalon. I have enjoyed the comfort and mileage and I thought quality to this point. This model the 08 was involved in the acceleration recall and computer adjustment. But just this past week the light all of a sudden went totally out! Upon investigation it's the classic HID light problem that is so abundant on the Prius. Apparently Toyota is well aware of the problem and the critical safety issues involved if you go to consumer reports, NHTSA, etc you may well be surprised of the cost involved with the HID light problems w/ avalons and most notably the Prius. This is a definite safety issue as the lights will fail with no warning. Very expensive repair stay away from them