Used 2008 Toyota Avalon XLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Amazing Car to Drive!
By kcoughlan

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased this Avalon from family member, 79000 miles. Upon inspection my mechanic could not believe the condition of the vehicle for the amount of mileage. The quality and craftsmanship of this vehicle is the best that I have ever experienced. Whether around town (18 mpg) or on the highway (28 mpg), the performance of this car is outstanding. All the buttons and bells , except for on board navigation which I substitute with my own gps system. Incredible stereo system. Can not believe that this is a 2008.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and handling on the highway. Quiet level drive at 75mph (Maine). Rear seat is more than adequate for my 3 preteen children. Tons of leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats should now be standard equipment . Was able to purchase after market seat heaters at a very reasonable price.

WILL NEVER TOYOTA AGAIN!!!
By tanniel

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have always owned a Toyota vehicle. I am a loyal customer of that brand. However, I WILL NEVER BUY A TOYOTA AGAIN!!!!! EVER!!!! Marietta Toyota on Cobb Parkway is CRAP!!!! The service center is HORRIBLE!!!! Worst attitudes there this morning as if I owe THEM SOMETHING!!! I have a 2008 Avalon that has a headlight out IN LESS THAN 5 YEARS and they will not replace it unless I pay $300!!! Toyota is crooked, and CLEARLY doesn't stand by their work/products... Hyundai has warranties that last up to TEN YEARS and 200K miles and their cars are way cheaper!!! That is a HUGE slap in the face! I was looking to get a Lexus next year but after this experience my next car WILL NOT be a Toyota!

Suggested Improvements

Create better warranties that show they stand by the products they present to the market.

DANGEROUS in even a lite snow
By JIM

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mpg has dropped 10 mpgs, and even in a dusting of snow once a wheel spins the computer takes over and gets no power to the wheels, yes I repeat no power to the wheels. You can hold the gas to the floor and the engine will not go above an idle and the transmission goes into neutral on its own.... junk.

Favorite Features

big trunk

Suggested Improvements

GET RID OF AUTOMATIC TRACTION & STABILITY CONTROL, sunroof rattles, dash rattles and front seat-bottoms are too short

Don't buy an Avalon
By Sheri

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Don't buy an Avalon unless you want to be unsafe due to these problems: Transmission does not shift properly, causing severe hesitation and lunging, every single minute you are driving. The car will not drive in even a skiff of snow! Cannot disengage the traction control. My driveway is about a 25 degree incline, and it will not go up it. The car is basically "skating" on roads that are not dry. The exterior trim mouldings on roof have come loose and subsequently lost on the freeway, had to replace at my cost, not covered by any warranty. The sound system speakers are very poor design. An old VW has a better one. What a piece of junk! Stay Away! Shame on Toyota.

Favorite Features

reclining back seat

Nice car but that darned sun roof
By Bug-Man

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Other than problems with the sunroof its a great car, 36 mpg on the interstate, plenty of room and a huge trunk, smooth ride, handles great..

Favorite Features

36 mpg's, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof rattles and leaks more than it should for the price, dealer can't seem to fix it.