Used 2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Great Car Except Float Handling
By rfcn2

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When I went shopping in 2008 I really wanted a Caddy CTS or an Acura RL. CTS could not be ordered with blue tooth for phone or laser cruise control. CTS by far drove the best. My Dad passed away about this time and left me a 2001 Avalon. It was a basic one but was very comfortable and got great MPG. So as almost an afterthought I went to Toyota dealer. They had the features I wanted and the car was 15 grand less than Acura. I really planned to hate the Toyota. I now think it is one of the best cars I have owned. Still is floaty and poor on curvy roads. Still overpowers the front wheels if too much gas is given. A great value IMHO. Amazing MPG for something this fast.

Favorite Features

Amazing gas mileage for a fast car. Very good seats, very adjustable, heated and cooled. Fast. Very comfortable for long distance driving. Very very smooth ride. Reliable except for high beams. Excellent transmission. Efficient power train. Rear windows go all the way down. Huge back seat. Big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The 2008 is a geazer-mobile. Get the float out of this thing. I know Toyota knows how to make good handling cars. This thing is absolutely the least fun car to drive in the mountains I have ever been behind the wheel of. Lots of power. This thing needs all wheel drive or at least positraction on the front wheels. You way overpower this thing if you stab the gas. The ipod needs to be controlled. I have given up on ipods and now playing my CDs again. Too much trouble and distracting to use ipod. Where is the sat radio??? Cheap cars get them and this one did not. Overall a really great reliable good gas miles car. Likely one of the best cars you can buy at any price.

Amazing Car to Drive!
By kcoughlan

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased this Avalon from family member, 79000 miles. Upon inspection my mechanic could not believe the condition of the vehicle for the amount of mileage. The quality and craftsmanship of this vehicle is the best that I have ever experienced. Whether around town (18 mpg) or on the highway (28 mpg), the performance of this car is outstanding. All the buttons and bells , except for on board navigation which I substitute with my own gps system. Incredible stereo system. Can not believe that this is a 2008.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and handling on the highway. Quiet level drive at 75mph (Maine). Rear seat is more than adequate for my 3 preteen children. Tons of leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats should now be standard equipment . Was able to purchase after market seat heaters at a very reasonable price.

Love it!
By ksgirl1

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car used in 2/11. It now has 101,000mi on it. I have it serviced at Toyota and it always checks out fine. So far I have been nothing but pleased. I have put 22,000 miles on it and have taken it on several long 2 day road trips. It is very comfortable. I have two small children and the backseat has tons of space for both of them and all of their stuff. Love the reclining back seats and built in sunshade. Trunk is huge. I have all the bells and whistles and love the navigation, built in Bluetooth etc. We just recently replaced the battery, other than that no issues. Would highly recommend.

It is what we thought it would be...
By iknowhatikno

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you are looking for a used Avalon, this is the year to start from. The revised 6 speed transmission is a marked improvement in smoothness, gas mileage, and reliability over the 5 speed autos from 2005-07. There are numerous websites and complaints about thse tranys). Also, the car was freshened on the exterior and has an Ipod plug. The one issue with the '08 model year is the headlamp assemblies, which are a well-documented problem. The good news is that Toyota extended the warranty for the headlamp assemblies for 5 years and 75000 miles from the original in service date. But you have to call Toyota because many dealers will rip off the unsaavy. The Avalon is otherwise a great car.

Favorite Features

My consistent gas mileage is 33 mpg highway (usually cruising at 75 mph) and 26 around town, as long as you don't race from stop light to stop light. This is not a sports car by any means, and begs to be driven easily and serenely. Your rewards is a fantastic and comfortable ride, with a very potent engine and yet unbelievable gas mileage. How many 270 HP cars with plenty of room for 5 get 33 mpg highway? My Avalon actually gets slightly better gas mileage than my friend's 2011 Altima, although it has nearly 100 more horsepower! This car has no squeaks or rattles of any kind, and I have to trek up a long, steep, unpaved driveway every day. Also, the materials quality inside is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is relatively small for such a large car. The front console cupholder slants so that the drink actually is held at an angle, which is a strange engineering oversight. The long handled telescoping adjustment for the steering wheel feels flimsy and does not fit with the rest of the car's interior quality. It would be nice to have some control over the trip computer, although I like the fact that gas mileage resets every time you fill the tank so you get legitimate tracking various types of driving. If you do drive the Avalon hard, thinking of yourself as a NYC cab driver, your gas mileage drops precipitously. Otherwise, this is the best investments you can make for a family sedan!

Holding it's value!
By pj_flygare

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

How many times can you buy a car and two years later have equity for such? Bought this 2008 style two years ago @52k miles. Both HD light had to be replaced the first month. TOYOTA DIDN'T COVERED THAT! BAD TOYOTA! USD 800 for parts and service! On the other hand MPG, amazing! City=28, Highway= 33. Right rear wheel bearing is making noises, about 400 dollar service. Paint is very soft, already have several rust spots on hood and side panels. Comfort amazing! Noise level inside, higher than my previous 1998 Volvo V70!? JBL sound system not to par, not good at all.

Favorite Features

Visibility! Fuel economy!

Suggested Improvements

This car need a better sound system, the JBL provided is way under par. Driver and passenger seat uncomfortable during long ride. Trunk lip way to high! Let me change the light bulbs, please!!!!