2008 Toyota Avalon XL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2008 Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Car Except Float Handling
By rfcn2

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

When I went shopping in 2008 I really wanted a Caddy CTS or an Acura RL. CTS could not be ordered with blue tooth for phone or laser cruise control. CTS by far drove the best. My Dad passed away about this time and left me a 2001 Avalon. It was a basic one but was very comfortable and got great MPG. So as almost an afterthought I went to Toyota dealer. They had the features I wanted and the car was 15 grand less than Acura. I really planned to hate the Toyota. I now think it is one of the best cars I have owned. Still is floaty and poor on curvy roads. Still overpowers the front wheels if too much gas is given. A great value IMHO. Amazing MPG for something this fast.

Favorite Features

Amazing gas mileage for a fast car. Very good seats, very adjustable, heated and cooled. Fast. Very comfortable for long distance driving. Very very smooth ride. Reliable except for high beams. Excellent transmission. Efficient power train. Rear windows go all the way down. Huge back seat. Big trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The 2008 is a geazer-mobile. Get the float out of this thing. I know Toyota knows how to make good handling cars. This thing is absolutely the least fun car to drive in the mountains I have ever been behind the wheel of. Lots of power. This thing needs all wheel drive or at least positraction on the front wheels. You way overpower this thing if you stab the gas. The ipod needs to be controlled. I have given up on ipods and now playing my CDs again. Too much trouble and distracting to use ipod. Where is the sat radio??? Cheap cars get them and this one did not. Overall a really great reliable good gas miles car. Likely one of the best cars you can buy at any price.

Amazing Car to Drive!
By kcoughlan

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased this Avalon from family member, 79000 miles. Upon inspection my mechanic could not believe the condition of the vehicle for the amount of mileage. The quality and craftsmanship of this vehicle is the best that I have ever experienced. Whether around town (18 mpg) or on the highway (28 mpg), the performance of this car is outstanding. All the buttons and bells , except for on board navigation which I substitute with my own gps system. Incredible stereo system. Can not believe that this is a 2008.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and handling on the highway. Quiet level drive at 75mph (Maine). Rear seat is more than adequate for my 3 preteen children. Tons of leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats should now be standard equipment . Was able to purchase after market seat heaters at a very reasonable price.

Love it!
By ksgirl1

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car used in 2/11. It now has 101,000mi on it. I have it serviced at Toyota and it always checks out fine. So far I have been nothing but pleased. I have put 22,000 miles on it and have taken it on several long 2 day road trips. It is very comfortable. I have two small children and the backseat has tons of space for both of them and all of their stuff. Love the reclining back seats and built in sunshade. Trunk is huge. I have all the bells and whistles and love the navigation, built in Bluetooth etc. We just recently replaced the battery, other than that no issues. Would highly recommend.

It is what we thought it would be...
By iknowhatikno

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you are looking for a used Avalon, this is the year to start from. The revised 6 speed transmission is a marked improvement in smoothness, gas mileage, and reliability over the 5 speed autos from 2005-07. There are numerous websites and complaints about thse tranys). Also, the car was freshened on the exterior and has an Ipod plug. The one issue with the '08 model year is the headlamp assemblies, which are a well-documented problem. The good news is that Toyota extended the warranty for the headlamp assemblies for 5 years and 75000 miles from the original in service date. But you have to call Toyota because many dealers will rip off the unsaavy. The Avalon is otherwise a great car.

Favorite Features

My consistent gas mileage is 33 mpg highway (usually cruising at 75 mph) and 26 around town, as long as you don't race from stop light to stop light. This is not a sports car by any means, and begs to be driven easily and serenely. Your rewards is a fantastic and comfortable ride, with a very potent engine and yet unbelievable gas mileage. How many 270 HP cars with plenty of room for 5 get 33 mpg highway? My Avalon actually gets slightly better gas mileage than my friend's 2011 Altima, although it has nearly 100 more horsepower! This car has no squeaks or rattles of any kind, and I have to trek up a long, steep, unpaved driveway every day. Also, the materials quality inside is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is relatively small for such a large car. The front console cupholder slants so that the drink actually is held at an angle, which is a strange engineering oversight. The long handled telescoping adjustment for the steering wheel feels flimsy and does not fit with the rest of the car's interior quality. It would be nice to have some control over the trip computer, although I like the fact that gas mileage resets every time you fill the tank so you get legitimate tracking various types of driving. If you do drive the Avalon hard, thinking of yourself as a NYC cab driver, your gas mileage drops precipitously. Otherwise, this is the best investments you can make for a family sedan!

Holding it's value!
By pj_flygare

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

How many times can you buy a car and two years later have equity for such? Bought this 2008 style two years ago @52k miles. Both HD light had to be replaced the first month. TOYOTA DIDN'T COVERED THAT! BAD TOYOTA! USD 800 for parts and service! On the other hand MPG, amazing! City=28, Highway= 33. Right rear wheel bearing is making noises, about 400 dollar service. Paint is very soft, already have several rust spots on hood and side panels. Comfort amazing! Noise level inside, higher than my previous 1998 Volvo V70!? JBL sound system not to par, not good at all.

Favorite Features

Visibility! Fuel economy!

Suggested Improvements

This car need a better sound system, the JBL provided is way under par. Driver and passenger seat uncomfortable during long ride. Trunk lip way to high! Let me change the light bulbs, please!!!!

Unexpected Quality
By luvtoyota10

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a Toyota Venza, this is my father's car and I thought it was just some slow, floaty old man car. I was kind of wrong. Its not slow and floaty at all, but still kind of an old man car. This touring model almost drives like a camry but the sterring is light and vague, like my Venza. Its pretty agile for its size. The ride is very comfortable even with the touring suspension, unlike my 2010 venza... There is still more body roll than I expected but I like its stability. The HID headlamps are cool but expesive in the long-run. I wish the display for the radio and climate controls were a bit better. I really like the color scheme too it's Blue Mirage exterior and Black leather interior.

Favorite Features

I like the sound system, comfortable ride, handling, color, sunroof, interior material quality, and I apreciate its agility. HID headlamps also.

Suggested Improvements

Interior design, Its bad in the snow.. Needs more personality (exterior).

WILL NEVER TOYOTA AGAIN!!!
By tanniel

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have always owned a Toyota vehicle. I am a loyal customer of that brand. However, I WILL NEVER BUY A TOYOTA AGAIN!!!!! EVER!!!! Marietta Toyota on Cobb Parkway is CRAP!!!! The service center is HORRIBLE!!!! Worst attitudes there this morning as if I owe THEM SOMETHING!!! I have a 2008 Avalon that has a headlight out IN LESS THAN 5 YEARS and they will not replace it unless I pay $300!!! Toyota is crooked, and CLEARLY doesn't stand by their work/products... Hyundai has warranties that last up to TEN YEARS and 200K miles and their cars are way cheaper!!! That is a HUGE slap in the face! I was looking to get a Lexus next year but after this experience my next car WILL NOT be a Toyota!

Suggested Improvements

Create better warranties that show they stand by the products they present to the market.

The best car I've ever owned!
By snowwie

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The 2008 Toyota Avalon is the best value car in its class. The ride is very smooth & quiet. I've test drove the Lexus GS before I test drove the avalon and I could not tell the difference in performance. The avalon has more cabin space at lower price

Favorite Features

Very smooth & quiet engine with great MPG for a V6. The seats are very confortable

Suggested Improvements

The trunk will open when the button is pressed while moving. This needs to be corrected.

2008 Avalon Limited not perfect
By patrick59

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased an '08 Avalon Limited with 28,000 miles on it four months ago. So far, I'm only somewhat satisfied. Unfortunately, the dashboard rattled and squeaked as if it had 180,000 miles, although I didn't notice that when I test drove it. I had to jam coins down the sides of the dash where it meets the windshield columns in order to tighten it up. The workmanship of the assembly is poor. Also, the front seats would not heat or cool, but the dealer fixed that problem before I took posession. I like the bluetooth connectivity, but the sound of the phone only comes out of one speaker and it distorts pretty badly if you turn it up enough to hear the other person at highway speeds.

Favorite Features

However, it does handle pretty well, has good acceleration, and is fairly quiet inside now that I've gotten some of the squeaks out of it. Wind and road noise are minimal. The seats are supportive and it's generally very comfortable on a long trips which I've now done many times. The audio system sounds very good and is easy to use, as are the other controls, which are arranged pretty thoughtfully. The gas mileage seems to be good, but I really don't know exactly because the trip computer is pretty useless due to the total lack of thought in the way it's designed.

Suggested Improvements

The trip computer can't be reset at will by the driver. It resets itself whenever you put gas in the tank. So, you can't clock your average mileage for prolonged intervals. Also, you can't isolate highway mileage only. I get gas and then head to the turnpike. 25 miles down the road, the average is still slowly climbing because it's factoring in the idling and red lights getting to the highway. I've never had a car that doesn't let the driver reset the mpg. WHAT is Toyota thinking? Worse, the trip timer resets every time you turn off the engine. So much for clocking your driving time on a long trip. Don't make any pitstops unless you write down the elapsed times and add it all up. Useless.

This one I like
By Per

2008 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Intended to buy a Camry from 2001 ended up with Avalon Touring. Already at test driving the car, it had similar features as my Volvo V70. A nice smooth ride. After only one week of driving, I have found the MPG (Vs. listed on websites) much better. So far I have been averaging 28.7 in combined city and highway driving! This is not from the dash-info, but personal log. All features working perfectly. Never thought I would become a Toyota owner, I am happy with this one!!

Favorite Features

Dual heated seats along with dual air zones. Great MPG. Good combination of low/high-beam. Reclined rear seats. Good ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Can't improve an old car...... ;-)