2008 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Amazing Car to Drive!
By kcoughlan on 11/11/12 11:40 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased this Avalon from family member, 79000 miles. Upon inspection my mechanic could not believe the condition of the vehicle for the amount of mileage. The quality and craftsmanship of this vehicle is the best that I have ever experienced. Whether around town (18 mpg) or on the highway (28 mpg), the performance of this car is outstanding. All the buttons and bells , except for on board navigation which I substitute with my own gps system. Incredible stereo system. Can not believe that this is a 2008.

WILL NEVER TOYOTA AGAIN!!!
By tanniel on 12/08/11 08:13 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have always owned a Toyota vehicle. I am a loyal customer of that brand. However, I WILL NEVER BUY A TOYOTA AGAIN!!!!! EVER!!!! Marietta Toyota on Cobb Parkway is CRAP!!!! The service center is HORRIBLE!!!! Worst attitudes there this morning as if I owe THEM SOMETHING!!! I have a 2008 Avalon that has a headlight out IN LESS THAN 5 YEARS and they will not replace it unless I pay $300!!! Toyota is crooked, and CLEARLY doesn't stand by their work/products... Hyundai has warranties that last up to TEN YEARS and 200K miles and their cars are way cheaper!!! That is a HUGE slap in the face! I was looking to get a Lexus next year but after this experience my next car WILL NOT be a Toyota!

DANGEROUS in even a lite snow
By JIM on 12/19/09 10:21 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mpg has dropped 10 mpgs, and even in a dusting of snow once a wheel spins the computer takes over and gets no power to the wheels, yes I repeat no power to the wheels. You can hold the gas to the floor and the engine will not go above an idle and the transmission goes into neutral on its own.... junk.

Don't buy an Avalon
By Sheri on 11/16/09 12:11 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Don't buy an Avalon unless you want to be unsafe due to these problems: Transmission does not shift properly, causing severe hesitation and lunging, every single minute you are driving. The car will not drive in even a skiff of snow! Cannot disengage the traction control. My driveway is about a 25 degree incline, and it will not go up it. The car is basically "skating" on roads that are not dry. The exterior trim mouldings on roof have come loose and subsequently lost on the freeway, had to replace at my cost, not covered by any warranty. The sound system speakers are very poor design. An old VW has a better one. What a piece of junk! Stay Away! Shame on Toyota.

Nice car but that darned sun roof
By Bug-Man on 07/14/09 20:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Other than problems with the sunroof its a great car, 36 mpg on the interstate, plenty of room and a huge trunk, smooth ride, handles great..

Great Car
By Funeral Director on 06/19/09 12:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Love this car, navigation is a pain with the little wheel, should be touch screen. Metal is a little cheap got stuck in snow went to push on trunk by Toyota name and trunk bent in tow spots was $100 to get dents taken out. Got nitrogen in tires and during summer I average about 42.5 mpg on highway. Exterior does scratch at the slightest touch. Trunk was scratched by a box touching the trunk.

I am so very happy with our choice!!!!!!
By Wines on 05/27/09 22:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We spent many months studying what was available in full-size sedans (I wanted a Cadillac). After 18 months of ownership, we are so pleased about our beautiful Avalon! We get compliments all the time. We live in mountains, but still maintain mid-20 mpg; a road trip easily gets us 35 mpg! I get the comfort of a Cadillac, but for considerably less cost, and definitely better mpg! I'm still not sold on leather upholstery, but that is just me. We would recommend this car to anyone looking for a full size car: beauty, great gas mileage, comfort, luxury feel but for less money; A great car!!!!

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan
By Mathews on 01/27/09 08:35 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought mine in Jun 08. The car has a great ride and impeccable interior design. It is quiet and the seats are super comfy. I like the all-power seat options and the full-size spare tire. The bluetooth needs some re-working - it has too much static. The CD-changer and sound are great! The heated seats have been a lifesaver especially on those frigid winter mornings of NE PA. There's so much leg room in this car- especially for the back seats (cramped back-seating is the reason I shied away from a Volvo. Fuel efficiency is not bad for a 3.5L engine- am averaging 25-28 mpg. BUT- the navigation is the worst! What was Toyota thinking!! It's awkward, difficult and tedious- and it's not touchscreen

Could be great car
By Don on 01/23/09 16:20 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Responsive engine and lots of good and convenient features. Gets good mileage for a big car. Not too big for "an around town car." Only beef is the car wanders/tracks the rain grooves on a concrete freeway at freeway speed. Feels like you're hydroplaning. Dealer and Toyota of America say this is a "characteristic" of the car and there is no fix. Long distance driving leaves me up tight and hanging on for dear life.

Not worth the money
By Jim on 12/28/08 12:34 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, not the quality I expected from a Toyota. I previously had a Volvo S80 and it was a much better built car than the Toyota is. The interior plastic trim is very cheap. At first it looks like brushed metal, but it is just painted plastic that scratches very easily. The seats are not that comfortable for what is considered to be a large car. The body side molding chips very, very easily.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.