2007 Toyota Avalon Consumer Review: Not as good as the 2001 model

2007 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Review

Not as good as the 2001 model
By roger d on

2007 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car for one month. I'm only getting 27 mpg hwy while I got 31 in my old 2001 Avalon. The transmission does some weird things when going slow. Real jerky. Ride is nothing like my old one. Much rougher and the most annoying thing is engine noise. I admit I was spoiled with my last Avalon so maybe with time I'll adjust. They changed the way you change the oil and filter to deter you from doing it yourself. When you test drive one of these cars, ask to drive one of the 2004s or earlier and compare. Climb underneath and look for the oil filter. It's inside the engine now I'm told. They replaced the steel pan under the front of the engine with some cheap plastic. I'm not happy.

Powerful engine and solid feel on the road. Great stereo as usual. Firm, supportive seats. Lots of room. Beautiful inside and out.

Reduce engine and road noise. Revert to old transmission. Make oil filter accessible to shadetree mechanics. Need special wrench now. Some interior panels don't line up.