Used 2007 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Most Helpful|
Yota
By Tom

2007 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car because of the Consumer Reports ratings on reliability and its reasonable price for a Lexus-like ride. It has been a pretty good car. I've felt the transmission hunt when rapidly accelerating (like 1000's of others) but it has not cause a problem. Hood paint is marginal. Gas mileage exceptional. Comfortable interior. Would definitely buy another but would look at the Nissan/Infinity models also due to the transmission slip issue.

Favorite Features

Reclining rear seats. Telescoping steering wheel. Steering wheel controls.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother shifting transmission. More coats of paint (thicker mil). Rear bumper protector. Eliminate the cassette player and install a GPS or storage hutch. Remote start. Keyless start.

Quality is gone
By PhxOwner

2007 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 1997 Avalon XLS and it was perhaps the finest car I've ever owned. That's why I bought another one last year. What a disappointment. The transmission always hesitates before finding the right gear, there is a thumping noise coming from the trunk every time I go over a bump, but there is nothing in the trunk. The wind noise on the freeway is excessive. Rear visibility isn't very good. Cup holders don't hold standard cups. Toyota missed with this one.

Favorite Features

Large rear seat, very good fuel economy, comfortable driver's seat.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign/replace transmission. Put power receptacles in easier to access locations. Improve build quality

Disappointed
By harmonyrn

2007 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The seats in this Avalon are terrible, more uncomfortable than you can imagine. Why would a designer put all kinds of seams in a car seat? The steering is also "hard", not smooth like in our 2003 Avalon. It feels like I'm driving a Mack truck. The radio sounds like an old transistor AM radio - tinny and poor quality. I've also had major problems with merging onto interstates from entrance ramps; sometimes I wonder if I'll make it without being rear ended by a car 1/4 mile behind me. The pick-up is not reliable. Cabin noise is very loud on interstates, mostly from moonroof. Overall, if you are a small woman who is looking for comfort and a great car for road trips, the 2007 Avalon is not it.

Favorite Features

Exterior design and color. Large trunk which opens easily but closes with much difficulty. Good fuel economy on highways. Easy gas cap removal and return. Air-conditioning vents have many position choices. Adequate windshield wipers. Cup holders and interior storage. Responsive cruise control.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable leather seats, as in the 2003 Avalon. Better quality radio/speakers. Quieter cabin - less noise from moonroof and front doors. Smoother, more reliable pick-up. Improved ease of closing trunk. Adjustable armrests for smaller drivers. Higher positioning of cruise controls.

POV from a minivan mom
By hdd

2007 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a beautiful car. I previously owned a Nissan Quest, so the transition to a car was tough. But the handling and styling on this car made up for the loss of space. I'm surprised more people don't spend the extra money and upgrade from the Camry to the Avalon. It looks like a Lexus!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, access to trunk from backseat, roomy backseat and leg space in rear, huge trunk, pretty trim panel faux wood (gray).

Suggested Improvements

Put the charger where it is more accessible. And what's up with the cassette player? Who uses that? They could have used that space for something better.

What A Waste
By Pat

2007 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Before buying this car I heard great things about Toyota vehicles from friends and family, so I decided hey I have to get one for myself. What a joke, this car makes me sick!!! It has a very loud noise in the engine. I have taken it in too many times only to be told by the mechanic that he does not hear the noise. These guys must be deaf!!! The last mechanic told me that the noise is normal that the sound was in other cars he tested?! Transmission horrible to say the least not smooth at all. Sound system cannot be heard over noisy engine, brakes are terrible, problem with wipers, in all one of the worse vehicles I have ever owned. I can't wait to get rid of it!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Reclining back seats, yippy great new for passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of that darn engine noise, lot of work needed on transmission, need better brakes.