Used 2007 Toyota Avalon Touring Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2007 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Yota
By Tom

2007 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car because of the Consumer Reports ratings on reliability and its reasonable price for a Lexus-like ride. It has been a pretty good car. I've felt the transmission hunt when rapidly accelerating (like 1000's of others) but it has not cause a problem. Hood paint is marginal. Gas mileage exceptional. Comfortable interior. Would definitely buy another but would look at the Nissan/Infinity models also due to the transmission slip issue.

Favorite Features

Reclining rear seats. Telescoping steering wheel. Steering wheel controls.

Suggested Improvements

Smoother shifting transmission. More coats of paint (thicker mil). Rear bumper protector. Eliminate the cassette player and install a GPS or storage hutch. Remote start. Keyless start.

steaming pile
By Mike

2007 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the most disappointing car I've ever owned. Although it's comfortable, quiet, roomy and has a great stereo, it's had 3 recalls. Other than the notorious gas pedal problem, it also has a recall on a defective oil supply line going to the valves. If this bursts like mine did you may very well destroy your engine and the only warning you will get is the sound of your engine seizing up! The transmission is jerky but no recall for that yet. If you already own one of these cars, call your dealer NOW and tell them you want the oil supply line replaced at once (for free) or you'll be very sorry. They will not warn you about this problem ahead of time by sending you a letter so call today.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, exterior appearance, stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard doesn't line up with driver door panel. Address quality issues.

POV from a minivan mom
By hdd

2007 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a beautiful car. I previously owned a Nissan Quest, so the transition to a car was tough. But the handling and styling on this car made up for the loss of space. I'm surprised more people don't spend the extra money and upgrade from the Camry to the Avalon. It looks like a Lexus!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, access to trunk from backseat, roomy backseat and leg space in rear, huge trunk, pretty trim panel faux wood (gray).

Suggested Improvements

Put the charger where it is more accessible. And what's up with the cassette player? Who uses that? They could have used that space for something better.

What A Waste
By Pat

2007 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Before buying this car I heard great things about Toyota vehicles from friends and family, so I decided hey I have to get one for myself. What a joke, this car makes me sick!!! It has a very loud noise in the engine. I have taken it in too many times only to be told by the mechanic that he does not hear the noise. These guys must be deaf!!! The last mechanic told me that the noise is normal that the sound was in other cars he tested?! Transmission horrible to say the least not smooth at all. Sound system cannot be heard over noisy engine, brakes are terrible, problem with wipers, in all one of the worse vehicles I have ever owned. I can't wait to get rid of it!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Reclining back seats, yippy great new for passengers.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of that darn engine noise, lot of work needed on transmission, need better brakes.

I love my Avalon
By RichG

2007 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Best car I've ever owned (and first non-USA model, although was mfd in KY). Brakes are fantastic, economy much better than anticipated (usually >30 on hwy if driven around speed limit). I don't agree with the raps on the seat comfort: I'm pretty big and it's fine. Handles great. Have had many of the minor problems reported by others: Tranny shifting improved by TSB re-calib. Just encountered famous windshield washer hose problem. Paint issues like everyone else. Lack of fold-in mirrors inexplicable. Strongly recommend dealer installed side molding. But I still love this car.

Favorite Features

Brakes, stability control (which I didn't think I would like), handling, interior comfort and room.

Suggested Improvements

Rear sightlines, paint durability, mirrors should fold in.