Used 2006 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Great car for the money
By happy owner

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded an '01 Cadillac DTS for my first for my first foreign car (built in Kentucky!) and have been very happy. Excellent performance, 0 to 60 in under 7 sec,and averaging 29 mpg on highway on regular. Just returned from a 4000 mile trip and got 35 mpg on a 55 mph strip. That's as good as my daughter got on her '95 Civic coupe. The Caddy got 15 in town and only 24 max on the road. The Avalon has much better acceleration too. I also expect to get much better resale value than the Caddy.

Great radio, drivers seat with the leg extension, interior room, flat floor board, rear screen, smart key.

Leave off the radio cover panel, make rear view mirrors foldable, give low beam lights longer range. Should make touring package available on the Limited. Should make front passenger seat available with same features as the driver's.

Great car, terrible navigation system
By micdon

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had no problems with vehicle maintenance, the reliability has been very good. Average fuel mileage (regular gas) 27 mpg, the ride is comfortable with in-seat heat/cooling. Overall the vehicle has been great. The navigation system is a loser, very difficult to program and gives erroneous directions in congested areas. Save the $1900 and purchase a reliable portable GPS at a fraction of the price.

In-seat cooling, Keyless entry and starting

Replace nav. sys. with a workable system.

Expensive Repairs
By David Brandt

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Avalon two years ago. On the whole, I do like it, but I am not impressed with little things that break, or more to the point, my dealership's response to it. Ever since I bought it, the lever that controls the steering column keeps slipping out of place and steering wheel gives way. Just now, after two years of ownership, the lock assembly on the trunk broke. Because my warranty is on 3/36, I have to pay $450 to have a lock fixed. If Toyota quality is so great, why doesn't the company stand behind its product with a more substantial warranty? Also, why should such a small problem cost so much to fix. A two year old car should not be having these problems. I am not impressed.

Air conditioned seats and automatic shade on rear window.

Provide a more substantial warranty. Yes, I know we can buy them. But other manufacturers provide them on cars that cost far less.

An excellent car needs some improvements
By Raymond Warren

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like the stye, driving and riding comfort. The roof trim over the doors pops when using an automatic car wash. The navigation system is difficult to program and operate and is signficantly overpriced for the performance obtained. I will buy another Toyota Avalon Limited, but without the navigation system, unless it is redisigned to make it more user friendly.

Comfortable seats for long distance driving. I am 6 feet 1 inch tall with lower back problems, yet the car ride is comfortable.

The navigation system is not user friendly and needs to be redesigned. Redesign the navigation system to make it user friendly. Install a rearview camera to improve vision. The rear roof roof line obstructs view.

Avalon Limited
By c5

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Quiet and smooth. Good power and great mileage. I averaged 32.5 on a 1600 mile trip according to the computer. Dislike having to stop to program memory seats and navigation. Overall the navigation system is not user friendly. I always take my Garmin and it gives me much more information and quicker. I still like the car.

Laser cruise. Fuel economy. Heated and cooled seats.

Navigation system not user friendly and have to stop to make any changes.