Used 2006 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Great car, terrible navigation system
By micdon

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had no problems with vehicle maintenance, the reliability has been very good. Average fuel mileage (regular gas) 27 mpg, the ride is comfortable with in-seat heat/cooling. Overall the vehicle has been great. The navigation system is a loser, very difficult to program and gives erroneous directions in congested areas. Save the $1900 and purchase a reliable portable GPS at a fraction of the price.

Favorite Features

In-seat cooling, Keyless entry and starting

Suggested Improvements

Replace nav. sys. with a workable system.

Expensive Repairs
By David Brandt

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Avalon two years ago. On the whole, I do like it, but I am not impressed with little things that break, or more to the point, my dealership's response to it. Ever since I bought it, the lever that controls the steering column keeps slipping out of place and steering wheel gives way. Just now, after two years of ownership, the lock assembly on the trunk broke. Because my warranty is on 3/36, I have to pay $450 to have a lock fixed. If Toyota quality is so great, why doesn't the company stand behind its product with a more substantial warranty? Also, why should such a small problem cost so much to fix. A two year old car should not be having these problems. I am not impressed.

Favorite Features

Air conditioned seats and automatic shade on rear window.

Suggested Improvements

Provide a more substantial warranty. Yes, I know we can buy them. But other manufacturers provide them on cars that cost far less.

An excellent car needs some improvements
By Raymond Warren

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I like the stye, driving and riding comfort. The roof trim over the doors pops when using an automatic car wash. The navigation system is difficult to program and operate and is signficantly overpriced for the performance obtained. I will buy another Toyota Avalon Limited, but without the navigation system, unless it is redisigned to make it more user friendly.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats for long distance driving. I am 6 feet 1 inch tall with lower back problems, yet the car ride is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation system is not user friendly and needs to be redesigned. Redesign the navigation system to make it user friendly. Install a rearview camera to improve vision. The rear roof roof line obstructs view.

Avalon Limited
By c5

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Quiet and smooth. Good power and great mileage. I averaged 32.5 on a 1600 mile trip according to the computer. Dislike having to stop to program memory seats and navigation. Overall the navigation system is not user friendly. I always take my Garmin and it gives me much more information and quicker. I still like the car.

Favorite Features

Laser cruise. Fuel economy. Heated and cooled seats.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system not user friendly and have to stop to make any changes.

Great car
By Satisfied Owner

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It is hard to identify my favorite feature on this car. Love the smart key/keyless entry/remote start, the heated seats, the spacious back seating that amazes passengers. The in-town gas mileage is a little low (about 18) compared to 30 freeway. Only problem I have had is a strip that comes loose from the roof top on the passenger side of the car when I go through a car wash. The only service work done has been oil changes. The car runs great. My previous car was a much-enjoyed 1999 Dodge Intrepid. In choosing this car, it was a decision between a similar cost/similar featured Mercedes. No regrets on choosing the Avalon over the Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, smart key, dual temperature controls, overall comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it looked a little sportier. Better fuel mileage in-town and better GPS system. The GPS is very awkward and confusing to use. I know there are better ones out there.