Used 2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 366 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Engine Oil Problem
By Mike Herlihy

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

AC light began flashing and I smelled burning oil. All of the engine oil had drained. I took it to a dealer who informed me that they needed to replace the oil line. This is a defect with this engine that really needs attention. I would not recommend Toyota or purchase another one since the quality is not there. This is the first time in 35 years of owning and driving cars that I have ever had such a problem.

First Toyota
By Craig

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My first Toyota but I've had numerous Japanese sedans. What separates the Avalon from other Asian performance sedans is that it has 268-280 hp yet takes regular gas and frequently gets more than 20 mpg. That alone is worth considering this car. Numerous reviews commented on what a good car this is but it's not "athletic." I've found the contrary with the Touring edition. The suspension is ideal and is mated nicely with the power of the vehicle. It feels very non-American because there is absolutely no bounce, no matter what kind of surface I'm driving on. Ironic since this is a large luxury sedan that was designed and built in U.S. Make a stick shift option and a less Camry-like exterior.

Power, touring suspension, graphite colored wheels, performance, dark leather available in many diff models, gas mileage for engine size.

Get rid of all the funky doors and cabinets. The stereo cover door is worthless as is the one that covers the cupholders. The JBL Synthesis stereo is not as good as top of the line Bose system I had. Web site makes it out the be best factory system ever. It's good, not great. More unique exterior.

Concerned
By Sal A

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

3 yrs old w/ 60k and maintained by the dealer. At 55k miles had the oil leak others mention. Originally 31mpg, now 25. The steering sometimes sticks when making a left turn and accelerating from a standing start. Keyless entry on the driver's door is failing 50% of the time. Cooling feature of driver's eat no longer works. Transmission taking longer to shift (will it make 100k?).

Tons of room inside. Very quiet interior. Smooths out all the bumps on the road.

The quality is not what i expected from Toyota. Improve the GPS or lose it. A place for change in the center console would be nice.

LOST OIL, No indicator light came on
By Kmberly Roberson

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very confident with my Toyota. Loved it and was so pleased that it was one of the best made. Then I drove home from work with only 36,077 miles on the car and left a trail of oil down my drive way, then oil ran out all over my drive way as the rubber hose oil line had burst. I had it towed in to the Toyota dealer and of course the warranty covered it as I had purchased an extended warranty. I am now not confident with the reliability of my car.

Love the roomy interior, very beautiful. Good looking car from inside out. Drives wonderful.

This is such a beautiful car so Toyota please Re-CALL this oil problem and the indicator light that never comes on to let you know you have a oil problem. For Toyota's reliability to stay, this needs RE-CALLED!!!!

Let Down
By TD

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my sixth Toyota and the reliability is very uncharacteristic compared to all the others. Major oil leak problem twice now makes the car completely unreliable. Also had a leak in the moon roof fixed. Continual problem with acceleration from a stop position corrected intermittently by a "computer reset". I think I'm going to trade it in. Also the car was bumped in a parking lot, in the front right causing only a scuff to the bumper. The whole bumper had to be replaced as it connects to the blinker light wells and the motor splash guard underneath, which both cracked.

Interior comfort, quiet.

Improve overall quality and workmanship.