2006 Toyota Avalon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2006 Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Sort Reviews by

My 05 Avalon XLS
By B Edmondson

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Outstanding peformance and still great gas mileage--Lots of fun to drive--Just as nice as a Lexus-- This car is loaded with features--I Looooooove it!!!

Favorite Features

So plush and love the great sound system

Suggested Improvements

I can't think on one thing that is missing or needs to change

2006 XLS after one month
By vanthull

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Again,I find the front seats "smallish"in width and length (as they were in my 2002 Lexus ES300). The display of the sequential shift position ie., 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th is almost impossible to read because it is unlit and does not show up readily. The small pass through space is ridiculously inadequate unless a couple of 2x4's are your common cargo (or skis). Front passenger seat adjustment- up and down- should be standard on the XLS, I think. Knee room, behind the wheel, is minimal for me at an even 6' in height. At one month of ownership these are my negative comments.

Favorite Features

Some audio and air conditioning controls on the steering wheel. Many warning lights when needed. Firm seats. Brake feel is about right and not too soft.

Suggested Improvements

See above also. Increase trunk pass through space. Light up gear position indicator when in sequential shift mode.

Japanese Mercedes
By Ken

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Did some serious research before making my purchase. No other automaker will give you as many options and value as the new Avalon Limited. Vented seats, Nav., laser cruise, reclining rear seats, keyless entry & start. The HID headlights and advanced airbag system is a standard safety feature. The craftmanship of the Avalon's interior is very refined & luxurious. Gas mileage, handling and acceleration is excellent. Satellite radio to go along with the 360 watt JBL Audio System is a must. This new Avalon is fast and smooth. But easy-up on the seq. manual gear shifts, and just step on the gas with the auto shift.

Favorite Features

Navigation, rear sunshade, vented seats, keyless entry and push button start are my favorite options.

Suggested Improvements

Back-up and front bumper sensors or camera, Ready intalled autostart system, heated rear seats, and more after market options and parts...

2006 Avalon XLS
By Beats Everything

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I read all the mags and test drove just about everything in the 30-50k price range. This 06 Avalon XLS has everything and more that any other luxury car has and does it better, more powerful, on regular gas with great economy. A no brainer with GPS, JBL upgraded stereo and so many other goodies, why would anything else do.

Favorite Features

Ride, enormous room, smoothness, GPS, stereo, economy with better power than competitors.

Suggested Improvements

Its perfect, but why not a HOOD ORNAMENT? really miss those.

Avalon - the best car ever made!
By jbossmin

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Luxurious, fun to drive, lots of power, easy on the eyes, lots of standard options (XLS model), and very comfortable!

Favorite Features

Upgraded JBL Stereo, Leather, controls on the steering wheel, auto/dual temp controls

Luxury doesn't have to mean clunky
By John

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My first luxury car. Drives and handles like a much smaller car. Test drove a lot of different cars in the same category and the Avalon was the winner hands down. Doesn't feel like you are driving a boat and it has power to spare, found myself doing 90 miles per hour without even noticing I was going that fast - it was so quiet and smooth. Have a car pool and they are loving the room in the back seat, plus the seats recline in the back. Am getting 24 to 26 miles per gallon which is a nice plus given the current price of gas. The sound system and CD player are great and having a tape deck for those of us who still own tapes was a nice extra.

Favorite Features

Comfort, feel and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if the back seats would fold down to give more trunk space for those occasional longer items vice the small ski door through the rear seat arm rest hole that is currently featured.

My Avalon
By Becky Crutchfield

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worst car I have ever purchased in my life. I absolutely hate this car. It is so ugly. I thought the "supposed" reliability and refinement that Toyota "supposedly" delivers would shine through, but I was sorely disappointed. The Avalon is just an unrefined automobile that has serious styling issues, and reliability issues. I have replaced the water pump already after 3 months of ownership, and the dealership was very unfriendly towards my purchase. I've even quit going to that dealership to have my car serviced. Toyota definetly hit a mud ball when they put this one out!!! I am trading it in for a new 300C or Five Hundred. I will never buy another Toyota.

Favorite Features

High resale value because I'm selling it.

Suggested Improvements

Make it look better. It is way too expensive. Most expensive in its class, and it delivers lackluster results for consumers such as my self.

Impressive and a steal
By Worth every $$

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had the car for 1 week and its been a great experience. I would recommend this car to family. Can't go wrong. The price point makes sense. You get a lot for your $$$. They actually redesigned this car to have its own character... not a bigger Camry.

Favorite Features

I like the interior and how everything hides behind the covers. For a basic model, it comes well packed.

Suggested Improvements

I do have some rattling in the front dash... small thing but no need for it.

Owner profile LIMITED EDITION with Nav.
By Mike O

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Unable to obtain the 31 mpg unless driving on an un-impeded highway. Low speed (up to 15 m.p.h.) engine noise, high speed--excessive tire noise. Lighting on some controls not adequate or not available on some of the controls at all. Learning the navigation system is extremely difficult. My prior car was an Acura TL-S type with NAV. It was much easier to learn and operate. Side door and panels have no ding protection.

Favorite Features

Turning radius and overall handling is wonderful. Cool seating is a blessing in the summer and the rear sun shield is quite a relief from the sun for the rear passages.

Suggested Improvements

A more friendly navigation system. Better interior lighting of controls and a more enhanced headlight system. Also, some sort of ding protection on the side doors and panels.

Great
By jross

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the third Avalon we have owned. This is by far the best. The ride and handling of this vehicle has improved greatly. The interior has been updated and comfort is A-one.