2006 Toyota Avalon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Concerned
By Sal A on 10/08/09 19:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

3 yrs old w/ 60k and maintained by the dealer. At 55k miles had the oil leak others mention. Originally 31mpg, now 25. The steering sometimes sticks when making a left turn and accelerating from a standing start. Keyless entry on the driver's door is failing 50% of the time. Cooling feature of driver's eat no longer works. Transmission taking longer to shift (will it make 100k?).

LOST OIL, No indicator light came on
By Kmberly Roberson on 09/30/09 07:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was very confident with my Toyota. Loved it and was so pleased that it was one of the best made. Then I drove home from work with only 36,077 miles on the car and left a trail of oil down my drive way, then oil ran out all over my drive way as the rubber hose oil line had burst. I had it towed in to the Toyota dealer and of course the warranty covered it as I had purchased an extended warranty. I am now not confident with the reliability of my car.

Let Down
By TD on 09/19/09 06:47 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my sixth Toyota and the reliability is very uncharacteristic compared to all the others. Major oil leak problem twice now makes the car completely unreliable. Also had a leak in the moon roof fixed. Continual problem with acceleration from a stop position corrected intermittently by a "computer reset". I think I'm going to trade it in. Also the car was bumped in a parking lot, in the front right causing only a scuff to the bumper. The whole bumper had to be replaced as it connects to the blinker light wells and the motor splash guard underneath, which both cracked.

Would buy another
By zipcode21804 on 08/18/09 19:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded my 2003 Seville, not disappointed at all. The gas mileage is great on regular gas. Nav system leaves a little to be desired, that message gets on your nerves every time you start the vehicle. Should be easier to program. Sound is good JBL did a fine job although I did a personal upgrade surround sound is a great feature, Cabin is tight noise and rattle free. I bought 3 caddys before I purchased my Avalon. When it comes to comfort, it's a no brainer. Avalon wins; wheels down.

Loved this car UNTIL... LOST ALL OIL!
By Terry A on 08/13/09 22:49 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Avalon, but now have lost all confidence in its reliability. On an out of state trip an oil hose developed a pin-hole leak. There was no indicator or light alert. We still have not gotten all repairs done, but will cost min $2500!!! (of course out of warranty with approx 101,000 miles).

Great, but some faults
By eddie g. on 08/03/09 14:45 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall our experience has been very good with our 2006 Avalon. The ride has been very smooth and quiet and the pick-up is very good. This may be one of the fastest cars we've owned (with a six).

2006 Avalon Touring
By DUCKS on 07/08/09 18:06 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car almost three years ago. I decided to get the Touring because the handling felt better than the XLS. The color is silver and with the XLS the interior wood was orange. With the Touring, it was sliver. The seats are very comfortable and I get close to 30MPG on the highway.

Avalon Ltd. 3.5 Years Later
By Steve Coleman on 04/24/09 08:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been surprised by this car. Good - Excellent fuel mileage (25 city, 30-31 hwy), comfort, luxury looks and feel. Bad - Intermediate steering shaft problem (outside wrty at 45K mi., transmission jerkiness (fixed by toyo with a reprogramming, $0), $900 repair est. (I declined to fix), check engine lite (50k mi, $1500 repair bill), now the poss. oil line leak repair before failure (repair cost unk.?). Also, watch out for dealers selling Toyota warranties that are not favorably received by other dealer in other states (SE Toyo dealers vs Midwest dealers).

Great Car Until I Lost All of My Oil
By Jim on 04/09/09 15:16 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The engine oil line (rubber hose) ruptured unexpectedly. I lost all of my oil. The mechanic is hopeful that the engine wasn't damaged. However, this is something that should never happen to a modern car. Toyota may be the new GM/Chrysler. Reliability sells. Unreliability gets you out of the auto business.

sudden loss of engine oil
By Alan on 03/16/09 14:07 PM (PDT)

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

A friend with 30,000 miles on same model reported sudden loss of engine oil with no engine light. I talked with local maintenance supervisor about this. He reported this was a regular problem, especially at 50-60k miles. Replacement rubber hose hard to find. No recall yet but he expects one any day.