Used 2006 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Best Car I've Even Owned. Period
By hotrodjohn

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2006XLS in March 2006. Today, it has 206,000 miles on it without one single problem. I have replaced the tires, battery and brake pads. It still has the original spark plugs, water pump, starter, antifreeze, trans fluid and serpentine belt (which isn't even cracked!). This car has been nothing short of amazing. It is big, the back seat is the biggest of any car I have seen. It is fast with plenty of torque all the way through the powerband, feels like a V8. It averages 27 miles to the gallon with 80 percent highway driving. It is super quiet and smooth. The Camry isn't even close to an Avalon. This is BIGGER than Lexus ES350, yet cheaper. Im going to keep on driving it.

Size, Ride, Power and Economy of the 3.5 vvti engine. Toyota's 3.5 is one of the best V6's in any car avaliable.

Paint will chip way too easily.

Very disappointed in quality and cost
By jman82

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This model year must have been the peak of Toyota's lack of attention to quality. The engine oil issue is a complete quality AND customer service fail. After suffering through that, in the last month I've had to replace the entire AC system. Last year when the car was 4 y/o with 100k miles the AC started blowing warm. Dealer did not find leaks, recharged, and it was ok for the rest of summer/fall. This spring, same thing. This time dealer found "lots of pin holes in the condenser". Read: no trauma, just a quality fail. I've never seen this and my prior cars were all over 200k miles. Now, *perhaps* a result of the condenser fail, the compressor seized. Total bill to fix AC: $2500

Fast, good MPG

Basic build quality

Great vehicle
By MICHAEL RUSTICH

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have only taken a couple of trips of a couple 100 miles or more. Mostly in town driving. Easy and secure veh to drive. Never had any brake or acceleration problems with veh. I would buy another one.

Comfort and interior space. Smooth ride.

Exterior design a little 'old'.

Disappointed with Steering Problem
By Disappointed in MD

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the car in early 2006. I now have 60,000 miles and I am experiencing problems with my steering. I have taken it back to the dealership several times for the steering sticking when turning left but they informed me that they can not find anything wrong. I am very disappointed with Toyota and see that many others are experiencing the same problem. My hope is that I will not experience the same problem that others are experiencing with the oil leak. Unless Toyota steps up and own up to fixing the legitimate repairs, I will never buy another Toyota. I am currently getting the runaround. Even though I have the extended warranty, Toyota is trying to get around fixing my problem.

Smooth ride, good gas mileage, roomy interior and trunk

More user friendly navigation system. Better paint -- paint chips easily,

Great Car!
By Brian Con

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased it new based on the value for the money, safety and comfort. Did not order the nav or the laser cruise control which appears to be a smart move. White metallic paint with the light grey leather looks great. Add the factory mudflaps which will keep the sides of the car clean. No repairs of any kind until the recent rash of recalls. Transmission can seem "funky" once in a while? I believe that the Touring model has a less "soft" ride for more spirited driving dynamics but I did not like the black interior. Great road car! 4k mile drive out west and got +30 mpg at 80+++ all day long. We are in our 40's not 70's and we enjoy the car very much. We are keeping the car long-term.

Heated & cooled seats. Economy-we get great mpg. Safe feel of the car, lots of airbags. Sound system is amazing! Our car is very quiet. The auto locks and push button start are nice features. Comfortable ride and seats with lots of adjustments. Vehicle stability control in the winter is great!

Mute button on the wheel! Better placement of the power outlet. A slightly firmer ride on the non- Touring models. More durable paint-to many stone chips on the front. #1-get the "Passenger Airbag light" to turn off on the dash when the seat is occupied! A hand brake instead of a foot brake.

• SUV