2006 Toyota Avalon XLS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2006 Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Sort Reviews by

Best Car I've Even Owned. Period
By hotrodjohn

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2006XLS in March 2006. Today, it has 206,000 miles on it without one single problem. I have replaced the tires, battery and brake pads. It still has the original spark plugs, water pump, starter, antifreeze, trans fluid and serpentine belt (which isn't even cracked!). This car has been nothing short of amazing. It is big, the back seat is the biggest of any car I have seen. It is fast with plenty of torque all the way through the powerband, feels like a V8. It averages 27 miles to the gallon with 80 percent highway driving. It is super quiet and smooth. The Camry isn't even close to an Avalon. This is BIGGER than Lexus ES350, yet cheaper. Im going to keep on driving it.

Favorite Features

Size, Ride, Power and Economy of the 3.5 vvti engine. Toyota's 3.5 is one of the best V6's in any car avaliable.

Suggested Improvements

Paint will chip way too easily.

Would buy another
By zipcode21804

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded my 2003 Seville, not disappointed at all. The gas mileage is great on regular gas. Nav system leaves a little to be desired, that message gets on your nerves every time you start the vehicle. Should be easier to program. Sound is good JBL did a fine job although I did a personal upgrade surround sound is a great feature, Cabin is tight noise and rattle free. I bought 3 caddys before I purchased my Avalon. When it comes to comfort, it's a no brainer. Avalon wins; wheels down.

Favorite Features

The ride is smooth, the sound system is good for a factory production. Backseat is cool, I like the flat floor as well. Styling is upscale looks good in the driveway.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires,door molding.

Great Car Until I Lost All of My Oil
By Jim

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The engine oil line (rubber hose) ruptured unexpectedly. I lost all of my oil. The mechanic is hopeful that the engine wasn't damaged. However, this is something that should never happen to a modern car. Toyota may be the new GM/Chrysler. Reliability sells. Unreliability gets you out of the auto business.

Suggested Improvements

Don't opt for cheap components to save a few pennies.

Love this car!
By Patti

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2006 Avalon because I had a 98 Avalon and loved it so much I didn't want to get a new one - but my husband wanted to get me a new car, so we got another Avalon. On relatively flat, freeway driving we get 33 - 35 mpg, much more than I thought we would get. We are very pleased with our car. I love the heated seats in the winter!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, 6 CD player - sound is awesome. Roomy back seat. Our 6'6" son in law is very comfortable in the back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Seatbelt design. The space between the front seats and where the seatbelts come out from the side is too narrow. They don't retract properly without help.

Avalons Rule
By Cody

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded from a MB E-class. Every bit as comfortable and has been rock solid. Gas mileage runs between 25 and 30 consistantly. Exceptionally comfortable as a cruiser.

Favorite Features

Quiet, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more road feel.

Love my Avalon with iPod adapter
By akrika

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Avalon. I went from Avalon to E320. The E320 was major disappointment, so I went back to Avalon. I have had this car for over two years. I have not had any problems with. It ride fine. The only problem is the cheap bridgestones tires that come with it. I just changed all four tires to MXV4 and it rides fine. I the dealer install the iPod adapter and it works fine. Great car.

Favorite Features

The iPod adapter. Sound system.

Suggested Improvements

bluetooth and MP3 interface

A pleasure to own and drive!
By John A,

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

During my long life (I'm in 80s) I've had Fords, Cadillacs, Mercedes and, more recently, Toyotas -- a Highlander and now an Avalon. Of all the cars, this one is the quietest, smoothest riding and easiest handling auto that I have ever owned. Have had no mechanical problems of any kind during it's first 15,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Hushed ride; beautiful cabin interior design; spacious rear seating, responsive engine and pick-up when needed; full sized spare in trunk.

Suggested Improvements

A windshield wiper blade for the nearly horizontal rear window.

Great car
By Johanna

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Like the car. You have to push it thru corners though, not a natural feel. Nice interior, very roomy. Average 27 mpg. Good trunk space. Drove in northern Vt. this winter and handled well on all-seasons . Nice surprise.

Favorite Features

Aize and roominess.

Suggested Improvements

Is a little boaty . Could use a stiffer suspension and better cornering.

A great car!
By John Arbib

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have found this to be the most comfortable, quiet, powerful car that I have owned and one that has the most beautiful cabin that I have seen. Truly this car is a pleasure to look at, enter and - most important - drive. I love it!

Favorite Features

Inside design of the cabin and dashboard. Legroom and rear comfort. Available power when needed.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a windshield wiper on the rear, almost horizontal, window.

Best Toyota that I have owned
By Chester

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 8th Toyota and 2nd Avalon (last in 1996). Liked the way the car "sat". Like the comfort and interior "bells and whistles". I have never had a Toyota in during the initial warranty period. Luck I guess. I don't like the transmission trying to find the right gear at slow speeds, sometimes causing abruptness in the change of gears. Perhaps this is the nature of the beast with 5 forward. Everything else is absolutely first rate. Best Toyota yet!!!

Favorite Features

Acceleration, roadability over long hauls. Excellent sound system with the tape feature for us old guys who still have tapes. Good fuel mileage. Going 3500 miles to Colorado and back, 32 mpg which was calculated by hand... outstanding.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps tweaking the transmission to help the search for proper gear for low speeds?