Used 2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Large sedan, fast and reliable! Excellent MPG!
By Cole

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am 20 years old and this is my 12th car (i'm an addict). No my parents dont give me ANY money. Anyway! I was lucky enough to score one of these for a few thousand cheaper than its value. And so far, its been excellent! I got the limited model loaded with everything. White exterior with tan interior. I did notice while doing an oil change it takes quite a bit of oil, 6.4 quarts to be exact! Mileage for this massive sedan I'm able to get average 32-33.5 on the highway going 72. That is unheard-of for its size! I've gotten up to 400 out of a tank with city AND highway driving, and to fill up only costs about $35, about 14.5 gallons, (even though it has an 18.5 gallon tank)! I've put in pioneers latest avic-7000nex navigation touchscreen stereo and it fit perfect, all functions still work! The only problem i've had was engine code p0441 and p0455, if you get these codes replace the fuel cap and that should fix it! (It will also turn on VSC and I think ABS light. There is a problem on 05-12 (dont quote me) avalons where the fuel cap wears out. I paid 6,700 and it only has 108k miles and its in excellent shape! It shifts buttery smooth and the amount of power it has (280hp) will compete with any other (ricer) or sedan out there. I love the smart-key feature. I would buy again.

great car but engine questions
By edmundscars5

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Engine is the only questions. 60,000 miles and a valve spring busted. this was in 2012 and cost $3,400 to fix. Now in December 2014 with 81,000 miles it's a leak in the timing cover, the oil pan, and the rack and pinion. Estimate cost to all is about $3,580. At some point you lose trust in a car. Everything else about the car has been great.

Auto cruise. Auto window wipers. Heated/Cooled seats. Passenger temp controls. The ride is the best.

Dashboard and oil line
By joeball

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 52,000 miles on my Avalon and the dash is getting hairline cracks everywhere. I was told it would cost $1,200. to replace .Then this week my rubber oil line hose failed that repair cost was $425. I almost damaged the engine but I was able to take it to a dealer for repairs . It seams the rubber on the Toyota is defective !! NOTE: the hose is 4 inches long and cost $78. On the internet you can buy 5 feet of the same Original Equipment Manufactured hose for $10.00 from part # 13016

Find a different hose and dash board supplier and review ....your parts pricing !!!! parts pricing is outrageous.

Broken Front Coil Spring
By sonnyjames

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2006 Avalon hit a small dip in the road and the right front coil spring snapped (thankfully at the very bottom) . I removed the broken part and was disappointed to find out it is a very light weight spring and looks like & feels like it was made out of pot metal. And my Platinum Extended Warranty (that I never used and cost me an extra 1K) is over the time limit. Car has 94K and we bought it new. As far as Toyota Service goes they have been a disappointment , they try and get a person to have expensive un-needed work done on their vehicles . I will call Toyota in the A:M and plead my case. Anyone else have this happen? if not beware these coil springs are junk.

Gas Mileage , Quiet Engine , Smooth Ride , Unbeatable acceleration, Visibility makes this car very safe , Airbags everywhere , Cons - Leather is poor quality , Front seats are average at best in comfort - the previous version of the Avalon where unbelievable in comfort , Shifting hesitations , paint could be of better quality

Cracks in Dash
By tacojoe1

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed in the dash on my 2006 Avalon. It has started to have hairline cracks everywhere. The car has 68000 miles and has always been garage kept. I went on the internet and found that many people have had the same problem. Toyota refuses to acknowledge the defect. I think that people should be made aware that this happens.