Used 2006 Toyota Avalon XLS Consumer Reviews - 113 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Timing cover oil leak
By William

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2006 Toyota Avalon with 92k miles was diagnosed with a timing cover oil leak at my local Toyota dealership. Cost to repair was $1950. After discussing this the service manager and searching online, I find that this problem is very common in the 3rd generation Avalons. We’re the original owner. The car has been garage kept, not driven is any harsh conditions, and never in an accident. The car has had service at our local dealership every 5K miles. This is our first Toyota and we bought a Toyota car because of its long history of dependability. We never expected such a costly repair cost like this, especially because of a defective sealant on the timing cover. Toyota has issued service bulletins on this issues. So they recognize that it is a problem, I contacted Toyota customer service to complain and got no satisfaction. This problem should have been pointed out to me while the drive train was still under warranty.

Best Car I've Even Owned. Period
By hotrodjohn

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2006XLS in March 2006.
Today, it has 206,000 miles on it without one single problem.
I have replaced the tires, battery and brake pads.
It still has the original spark plugs, water pump, starter, antifreeze, trans fluid and serpentine belt (which isn't even cracked!).
This car has been nothing short of amazing.
It is big, the back seat is the biggest of any car I have seen.
It is fast with plenty of torque all the way through the powerband, feels like a V8.
It averages 27 miles to the gallon with 80 percent highway driving.
It is super quiet and smooth.
The Camry isn't even close to an Avalon.
This is BIGGER than Lexus ES350, yet cheaper. Im going to keep on driving it.

Size, Ride, Power and Economy of the 3.5 vvti engine. Toyota's 3.5 is one of the best V6's in any car avaliable.

Paint will chip way too easily.

Would buy another
By zipcode21804

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded my 2003 Seville, not disappointed at all. The gas mileage is great on regular gas. Nav system leaves a little to be desired, that message gets on your nerves every time you start the vehicle. Should be easier to program. Sound is good JBL did a fine job although I did a personal upgrade surround sound is a great feature, Cabin is tight noise and rattle free. I bought 3 caddys before I purchased my Avalon. When it comes to comfort, it's a no brainer. Avalon wins; wheels down.

The ride is smooth, the sound system is good for a factory production. Backseat is cool, I like the flat floor as well. Styling is upscale looks good in the driveway.

Bigger tires,door molding.

Great Car Until I Lost All of My Oil
By Jim

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The engine oil line (rubber hose) ruptured unexpectedly. I lost all of my oil. The mechanic is hopeful that the engine wasn't damaged. However, this is something that should never happen to a modern car. Toyota may be the new GM/Chrysler. Reliability sells. Unreliability gets you out of the auto business.

Don't opt for cheap components to save a few pennies.

Love this car!
By Patti

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2006 Avalon because I had a 98 Avalon and loved it so much I didn't want to get a new one - but my husband wanted to get me a new car, so we got another Avalon. On relatively flat, freeway driving we get 33 - 35 mpg, much more than I thought we would get. We are very pleased with our car. I love the heated seats in the winter!

Heated seats, 6 CD player - sound is awesome. Roomy back seat. Our 6'6" son in law is very comfortable in the back seat.

Seatbelt design. The space between the front seats and where the seatbelts come out from the side is too narrow. They don't retract properly without help.