Used 2006 Toyota Avalon Touring Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

10 years of quality and reliability
By Jim squier

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

She has a few dings and scratches and arm rest has a tear in it from my elbow over the years. The car has never been in the shop except for oil changes every 3000 miles, new skins, breaks and the recommended maintenance checkups. She runs like a champ!

Dashboard and oil line
By joeball

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 52,000 miles on my Avalon and the dash is getting hairline cracks everywhere. I was told it would cost $1,200. to replace .Then this week my rubber oil line hose failed that repair cost was $425. I almost damaged the engine but I was able to take it to a dealer for repairs . It seams the rubber on the Toyota is defective !!
NOTE: the hose is 4 inches long and cost $78. On the internet you can buy 5 feet of the same Original Equipment Manufactured hose for $10.00 from part # 13016

Find a different hose and dash board supplier and review ....your parts pricing !!!! parts pricing is outrageous.

Sips gas, limo like back seat, great family car!
By blackpoint

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As a young family of 3 we wanted to get a car where the kids elbows don't touch which sparks arguments and they can't kick the front seats which drives me nutty.
Low MPG SUVs were out and putting money into a dreadful minivan felt as good as paying federal taxes.
We are in our 30's and this car seemed out of our age group but the Touring edition adds some youthful style and let's face it, still better looking than a minivan. The reclining rear seats are great for the kids.
Smooth and quiet ride even at 90,000 miles and about 31 MPG on the highway.
Rides equal to a newer vehicle but we only paid about $13,000.
Not bad for a large family car with leather, heated seats, and a moonroof.

Reclining rear seats, 32 MPG, limo like leg room, black leather heated seats, and touring edition adds colored rims and a nice spoiler lip.

While the front seats are comfortable, I find that they don't soak you in but you feel like riding on top of them - you get use to it after a while. I'm not a big fan of the spaceship style dash but the positives outweigh a few quirks. I have my eye on the 2013 Avalon as I plan to buy that model in a few years where they seemed to worked out the quirks.

Very disappointed in quality and cost
By jman82

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This model year must have been the peak of Toyota's lack of attention to quality.
The engine oil issue is a complete quality AND customer service fail.
After suffering through that, in the last month I've had to replace the entire AC system.

Last year when the car was 4 y/o with 100k miles the AC started blowing warm.
Dealer did not find leaks, recharged, and it was ok for the rest of summer/fall.
This spring, same thing.
This time dealer found "lots of pin holes in the condenser".
Read: no trauma, just a quality fail.
I've never seen this and my prior cars were all over 200k miles.

Now, *perhaps* a result of the condenser fail, the compressor seized.
Total bill to fix AC: $2500

Fast, good MPG

Basic build quality

I'm surprised everyone doesn't own one
By g-force

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Avalon is amazing. Where else can you get a full size luxury sedan, with V6 280 ponies, yet gets 31 MPG? No where else but Avalon. It's like riding around in your living room while sitting in your favorite recliner. Only thing missing is the 58-inch plasma. JBL stereo pumps, top of dash layout is a throwback of the 1970's (which I personally love), yet console is very modern/elegant. Car lifts up, takes off, as quiet as a sleeping baby. Buttons nicely placed, awesome visibility, adequate handling, elegant front/rear design. This car will never annoy you, and you'll arrive calm and relaxed. Avalon makes daily work commuting one of the highlights of my day. Alot of car for $30K, unmatched.

Engine power, ride refinement, seat and arm rest comforts, external design, interior design, gas mileage, stereo, tremendous value for the money, Toyota quality.

Braking is a bit soft and lazy, handling could be improved.