Used 2006 Toyota Avalon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

A Perfect Car
By Jeffrey Augustine

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2006 Toyota Avalon for nine years and never had any problems. I service it regularly and it still drives exceptionally well with 97,000 miles on it. Most of my driving is on California freeways or on long road trips between 300-500 miles one way. This is the perfect road car with plenty of acceleration, comfort, excellent heater and a/c, and a great stereo. Visibility is excellent. I put on expensive Good Year Eagle Sport tires (W speed rating) at 30,000 ,miles and this made the ride noticeably smoother and the cornering sharper than the original OEM tire. Despite Good Year's claims, these tires only really last ~20,000 miles, but the tradeoff is worth it. I put on slotted racing discs on the brakes and ceramic pads. This is a big car that drives like a midsize sports sedan. I push the car and it likes it. 85mph cruising speed @ 2500 rpm for miles across the American Southwest all day long in any season. My last big road drive was in 112 F weather Arizona and the a/c worked great and the car had no problems with the temperature. I headed up the mountain to Prescott and got caught in a monsoon, a torrential thunderstorm going uphill at 4,000 feet. There was no place to pull over on the steep mountain road so I used the Avalon's very practical and well-engineered Manumatic transmission to hand shift through the deluge going up the steep and winding grade. No problem with traction, power, or anything else in this big thunderstorm with near zero visibility. I have always felt safe in this car because it is reliable. My 2006 Avalon is an old friend. I could buy a new car but why? I like my Avalon and it likes me. When I do decide to buy my next car it will be an Avalon. Of course, I might upgrade to a Lexus ES350 now that I am officially a senior citizen -- and besides all the writers for automotive magazines except us oldsters to drive a Lexus. I sure as hell won't get a Buick. And as much as I admire Matthew McConaughey as one of America's finest actors, I won't be getting a Lincoln either. But I am glad to see Mr. McConaughey happy with his Lincoln. I really liked the commercials he made. Classic Americana.

Loved this car UNTIL... LOST ALL OIL!
By Terry A

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Avalon, but now have lost all confidence in its reliability. On an out of state trip an oil hose developed a pin-hole leak. There was no indicator or light alert. We still have not gotten all repairs done, but will cost min $2500!!! (of course out of warranty with approx 101,000 miles).

The ride, the room, the gas mileage - and I thought the reliability. Alas, not so!

Notification of known problems that can cause so much damage! Also warning indicators if the oil runs low!!!!

Great, but some faults
By eddie g.

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall our experience has been very good with our 2006 Avalon. The ride has been very smooth and quiet and the pick-up is very good. This may be one of the fastest cars we've owned (with a six).

We love the power driver's seat, the sun-roof, the visibility is great. The interior design is clean, and free of all unnecessary garbage. The fit and finish are top notch.

Brakes are terrible. Feels you must smash pedal to floor to stop. They're undersized. Trans is smooth except first gear where it seems hard to get up to speed. Mileage down- once 30 mpg hwy, now 23.5 at 65 mph. Exterior needs strengthening. Dents easy. Front dips on hard cornering.

Loss of engine oil with no warning light
By Angry owner

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my car almost 3 yrs ago, everything was great until it reached 33000 miles; suddenly the engine produced loud noise, it was a complete loss of engine oil with no warning light in the dashboard. The dealer was very familiar with the problem before I even spoke. He asked me if it was the loss of engine oil. I would like Toyota to look into this problem. Otherwise the car is great and I love it.

Comfort, fuel economy.

To make the Avalon 100% reliable.

Grandpa
By grandpasmall

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Could have better gas mileage but liveable. Only complaint is about the transmission. The computer could be updated or something done to prevent down shift in the mountains.

Good built car.

Driving in the mountains the auto tran shifts irregularly, down shifts when it shouldn't, shifts in down in high rpms.

• SUV