Used 2006 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 362 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

A Perfect Car
By Jeffrey Augustine

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my 2006 Toyota Avalon for nine years now and have never had any problems. I service it regularly and it still drives exceptionally well with 97,000 miles on it. Most of my driving is on California freeways or on long road trips in the American Southwest. This is the perfect road car with plenty of acceleration, comfort, excellent heater and a/c, and a great stereo. Visibility is excellent.

I put on expensive Good Year Eagle Sport tires (W speed rating) at 30,000 ,miles and this made the ride noticeably smoother and the cornering sharper than the original OEM tire. Despite Good Year's claims, these tires only really last ~20,000 miles, but the tradeoff is worth it. I put on slotted racing discs on the brakes and ceramic pads. This is a big car that drives like a midsize sports sedan. I push the car and it likes it. 85mph cruising speed @ 2500 rpm for miles across the American Southwest all day long in any season. My last big road drive was in 112 F weather Arizona and the a/c worked great; the car had no problems with the temperature.

I headed up the mountain to Prescott and got caught in a monsoon, a torrential thunderstorm going uphill at 4,000 feet. There was no place to pull over on the steep mountain road so I used the Avalon's very practical and well-engineered Manumatic transmission to hand shift through the deluge going up the steep and winding grade. No problem with traction, power, or anything else in this big thunderstorm with near zero visibility.

Update: I had an ignition coil fail at 100,000 miles and replaced all of them. This is a commonly reported problem on the 2006 Avalon at >95,000 miles. The replacement factory coils restored the acceleration and engine smoothness. The 2006 Avalon accelerates very quickly and smoothly in the 70-90 mph region. This makes it great for passing slower cars and trucks on freeways and the open road.

2016 is supposed to see a glut of two year old cars on lease returns. I may finally sell my 2006 Avalon and pick up a 2014 Avalon.

I can sell my 2006 Avalon for about $7,000 and pick up a 2014 Avalon for ~$25,000 from a rental car company. This means a net cost of around $18,000 for at two year old Avalon with about 26,000 miles on it. The Avalon has the Lexus E350 268hp engine, transmission, and suspension and so an $18,000 price is appealing given the performance and comfort of the Avalon. If I keep the 2014 Avalon for nine years as I have with my 2006 model, then my cost of ownership is $2,000 per year plus routine maintenance.

A new 2016 Camry with the same engine stickers at $32,000. However, the Camry lacks the solid ride and comfort of the larger Avalon. I have driven a few Camry rental cars while traveling and they just don't measure up to the Avalon.

Conclusion: A two year old low mileage Avalon is better and less expensive than a new fully loaded Camry.

Timing cover oil leak
By William

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2006 Toyota Avalon with 92k miles was diagnosed with a timing cover oil leak at my local Toyota dealership. Cost to repair was $1950. After discussing this the service manager and searching online, I find that this problem is very common in the 3rd generation Avalons. We’re the original owner. The car has been garage kept, not driven is any harsh conditions, and never in an accident. The car has had service at our local dealership every 5K miles. This is our first Toyota and we bought a Toyota car because of its long history of dependability. We never expected such a costly repair cost like this, especially because of a defective sealant on the timing cover. Toyota has issued service bulletins on this issues. So they recognize that it is a problem, I contacted Toyota customer service to complain and got no satisfaction. This problem should have been pointed out to me while the drive train was still under warranty.

Large sedan, fast and reliable! Excellent MPG!
By Cole

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am 20 years old and this is my 12th car (i'm an addict). No my parents dont give me ANY money. Anyway! I was lucky enough to score one of these for a few thousand cheaper than its value. And so far, its been excellent! I got the limited model loaded with everything. White exterior with tan interior. I did notice while doing an oil change it takes quite a bit of oil, 6.4 quarts to be exact! Mileage for this massive sedan I'm able to get average 32-33.5 on the highway going 72. That is unheard-of for its size! I've gotten up to 400 out of a tank with city AND highway driving, and to fill up only costs about $35, about 14.5 gallons, (even though it has an 18.5 gallon tank)! I've put in pioneers latest avic-7000nex navigation touchscreen stereo and it fit perfect, all functions still work! The only problem i've had was engine code p0441 and p0455, if you get these codes replace the fuel cap and that should fix it! (It will also turn on VSC and I think ABS light. There is a problem on 05-12 (dont quote me) avalons where the fuel cap wears out. I paid 6,700 and it only has 108k miles and its in excellent shape! It shifts buttery smooth and the amount of power it has (280hp) will compete with any other (ricer) or sedan out there. I love the smart-key feature. I would buy again.

great car but engine questions
By edmundscars5

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Engine is the only questions. 60,000 miles and a valve spring busted. this was in 2012 and cost $3,400 to fix. Now in December 2014 with 81,000 miles it's a leak in the timing cover, the oil pan, and the rack and pinion. Estimate cost to all is about $3,580. At some point you lose trust in a car. Everything else about the car has been great.

Auto cruise. Auto window wipers. Heated/Cooled seats. Passenger temp controls. The ride is the best.

Dashboard and oil line
By joeball

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 52,000 miles on my Avalon and the dash is getting hairline cracks everywhere. I was told it would cost $1,200. to replace .Then this week my rubber oil line hose failed that repair cost was $425. I almost damaged the engine but I was able to take it to a dealer for repairs . It seams the rubber on the Toyota is defective !!
NOTE: the hose is 4 inches long and cost $78. On the internet you can buy 5 feet of the same Original Equipment Manufactured hose for $10.00 from part # 13016

Find a different hose and dash board supplier and review ....your parts pricing !!!! parts pricing is outrageous.