2006 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

2006 Avalon Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
great car but engine questions
By edmundscars5

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Engine is the only questions. 60,000 miles and a valve spring busted. this was in 2012 and cost $3,400 to fix. Now in December 2014 with 81,000 miles it's a leak in the timing cover, the oil pan, and the rack and pinion. Estimate cost to all is about $3,580. At some point you lose trust in a car. Everything else about the car has been great.

Favorite Features

Auto cruise. Auto window wipers. Heated/Cooled seats. Passenger temp controls. The ride is the best.

Dashboard and oil line
By joeball

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 52,000 miles on my Avalon and the dash is getting hairline cracks everywhere. I was told it would cost $1,200. to replace .Then this week my rubber oil line hose failed that repair cost was $425. I almost damaged the engine but I was able to take it to a dealer for repairs . It seams the rubber on the Toyota is defective !! NOTE: the hose is 4 inches long and cost $78. On the internet you can buy 5 feet of the same Original Equipment Manufactured hose for $10.00 from part # 13016

Suggested Improvements

Find a different hose and dash board supplier and review ....your parts pricing !!!! parts pricing is outrageous.

Broken Front Coil Spring
By sonnyjames

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My 2006 Avalon hit a small dip in the road and the right front coil spring snapped (thankfully at the very bottom) . I removed the broken part and was disappointed to find out it is a very light weight spring and looks like & feels like it was made out of pot metal. And my Platinum Extended Warranty (that I never used and cost me an extra 1K) is over the time limit. Car has 94K and we bought it new. As far as Toyota Service goes they have been a disappointment , they try and get a person to have expensive un-needed work done on their vehicles . I will call Toyota in the A:M and plead my case. Anyone else have this happen? if not beware these coil springs are junk.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage , Quiet Engine , Smooth Ride , Unbeatable acceleration, Visibility makes this car very safe , Airbags everywhere , Cons - Leather is poor quality , Front seats are average at best in comfort - the previous version of the Avalon where unbelievable in comfort , Shifting hesitations , paint could be of better quality

Cracks in Dash
By tacojoe1

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed in the dash on my 2006 Avalon. It has started to have hairline cracks everywhere. The car has 68000 miles and has always been garage kept. I went on the internet and found that many people have had the same problem. Toyota refuses to acknowledge the defect. I think that people should be made aware that this happens.

Sips gas, limo like back seat, great family car!
By blackpoint

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As a young family of 3 we wanted to get a car where the kids elbows don't touch which sparks arguments and they can't kick the front seats which drives me nutty. Low MPG SUVs were out and putting money into a dreadful minivan felt as good as paying federal taxes. We are in our 30's and this car seemed out of our age group but the Touring edition adds some youthful style and let's face it, still better looking than a minivan. The reclining rear seats are great for the kids. Smooth and quiet ride even at 90,000 miles and about 31 MPG on the highway. Rides equal to a newer vehicle but we only paid about $13,000. Not bad for a large family car with leather, heated seats, and a moonroof.

Favorite Features

Reclining rear seats, 32 MPG, limo like leg room, black leather heated seats, and touring edition adds colored rims and a nice spoiler lip.

Suggested Improvements

While the front seats are comfortable, I find that they don't soak you in but you feel like riding on top of them - you get use to it after a while. I'm not a big fan of the spaceship style dash but the positives outweigh a few quirks. I have my eye on the 2013 Avalon as I plan to buy that model in a few years where they seemed to worked out the quirks.

Best Car ever in the last 12 years
By robertverma

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car can easily beat many of the luxury cars in style, performance, comfort and features. I bought it used and will be driving it until many years to come. The only drawback I find is that it doesn't have iPod Jack which I'm going to have installed. Every time I drive the car, I appreciate it even more then last time. Fuel economy is unbelievable, it gives me 30+ on the highways. I'm a car lover and even though its not really a driver's car but I'm willing to compensate only that part with everything else in the car. The rear seat room is like a limousine and it even reclines. I am never worried about the repair costs, its like driving a German car with no maintenance

We LOVE our NEW USED Avalon
By toofdr3

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have always had great experiences with Toyota Avalons. My husband drove our last Avalon for years with minimal service required. We recently just purchased another used Avalon 2006 Limited without any hesitation. High quality, affordable, and it was nice to know that the value of the car did not depreciate as soon as we drove it off the lot (like other brands).

Best Car I've Even Owned. Period
By hotrodjohn

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought a 2006XLS in March 2006. Today, it has 206,000 miles on it without one single problem. I have replaced the tires, battery and brake pads. It still has the original spark plugs, water pump, starter, antifreeze, trans fluid and serpentine belt (which isn't even cracked!). This car has been nothing short of amazing. It is big, the back seat is the biggest of any car I have seen. It is fast with plenty of torque all the way through the powerband, feels like a V8. It averages 27 miles to the gallon with 80 percent highway driving. It is super quiet and smooth. The Camry isn't even close to an Avalon. This is BIGGER than Lexus ES350, yet cheaper. Im going to keep on driving it.

Favorite Features

Size, Ride, Power and Economy of the 3.5 vvti engine. Toyota's 3.5 is one of the best V6's in any car avaliable.

Suggested Improvements

Paint will chip way too easily.

Very disappointed in quality and cost
By jman82

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This model year must have been the peak of Toyota's lack of attention to quality. The engine oil issue is a complete quality AND customer service fail. After suffering through that, in the last month I've had to replace the entire AC system. Last year when the car was 4 y/o with 100k miles the AC started blowing warm. Dealer did not find leaks, recharged, and it was ok for the rest of summer/fall. This spring, same thing. This time dealer found "lots of pin holes in the condenser". Read: no trauma, just a quality fail. I've never seen this and my prior cars were all over 200k miles. Now, *perhaps* a result of the condenser fail, the compressor seized. Total bill to fix AC: $2500

Favorite Features

Fast, good MPG

Suggested Improvements

Basic build quality

Great vehicle
By MICHAEL RUSTICH

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have only taken a couple of trips of a couple 100 miles or more. Mostly in town driving. Easy and secure veh to drive. Never had any brake or acceleration problems with veh. I would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Comfort and interior space. Smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior design a little 'old'.