2005 Toyota Avalon Consumer Review: Great Family Sedan

2005 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Review

XL Sedan (3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic)

Great Family Sedan
By jaegan on

2005 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When picking a sedan to replace my 350Z, I selected the Avalon over the G35, Altima and Camry. One might think G35 would have been a closer match to the Z but no sedan can match sports car handling - so I got the car that offered the most of everything else. The Avalon has a good bit of power, cavernous rear passenger space, reclining rear seats, excellent build quality, and a luxo-plush ride. I've noticed that it takes some throttle modulation to "help" the car find 1st or 2nd gear. Cloths seats are far softer than leather. You can get over 30 mpg on the highway (at 65-70 mph). Conversely, 19 mpg in the city is common. Overall, a surprisingly great value in XL trim (paid $25K).

Favorite Features

Good power for a sedan, quiet and smooth ride. Decent stereo. Excellent dash layout. Rear reclining seats are fantastic. Roomy. Good fuel economy. Base XL model offers a great bang for the buck. Lumbar supports for the driver's seat.

Suggested Improvements

Annoying seat belt warning mechanism. Transmission does not lend well to aggressive accel/decelleration. Lots of body roll (hey, at least it's not PRETENDING to be a sports car). I only found one cigarette lighter port inside the armrest. Higher model trims suffer from rattles.