2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
Fun to Drive
By J. A. Dean on 05/27/06 21:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is fun to drive. Toyota knows how to make a sedan sporty, solid and economical. Fit and finish are top quality. Everything worked the first time and everytime since then. The ride is smooth and the automobile is very quiet. I love the leg room in the back seat and the reclining back seat is just an added plus. Cruising back from Las Vegas last year I got 32.3 MPG when I had it on cruise control. What a great automobile to own and drive!

Great Family Sedan
By jaegan on 05/26/06 13:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When picking a sedan to replace my 350Z, I selected the Avalon over the G35, Altima and Camry. One might think G35 would have been a closer match to the Z but no sedan can match sports car handling - so I got the car that offered the most of everything else. The Avalon has a good bit of power, cavernous rear passenger space, reclining rear seats, excellent build quality, and a luxo-plush ride. I've noticed that it takes some throttle modulation to "help" the car find 1st or 2nd gear. Cloths seats are far softer than leather. You can get over 30 mpg on the highway (at 65-70 mph). Conversely, 19 mpg in the city is common. Overall, a surprisingly great value in XL trim (paid $25K).

Best Choice I could have made!!!
By Linda Taylor on 05/25/06 00:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have a bad back and right leg and the Avalon is so easy to drive. I can drive for longer periods of time and the comfort is great for long legged passengers both in front and in the back seat. The size of the truck is fabulous too!

My Avalon
By Redregal on 05/23/06 21:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the finest car that I have ever owned in 60 years of driving. My only complaint has been the odometer and cruise control position readouts. They cannot be seen during daylight hours when wearing sun glasses. At night the dash is beautiful and easily read but they dimmed the odometer and cruise control lighting and you cannot read the information. Other than that this is an A1 car. Great performance and luxury. It's my "Lexus" at a bargain price. The active cruise control is the greatest accessory ever.

A Lexus in sheep's clothing
By Peter Foss on 05/23/06 11:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is an extraordinary vehicle. I have the tan interior with maple trim, which adds a sense of spaciousness in an already comodious sedan. The rear passenger area with its flat floor, reclining seats, and ample room, offers more square footage than most college dorms! The car is blindingly fast and will out accelerate a huge segment of the market. Here is the Japanese equivalent of a Buick with a surprisingly strong personality. The dash is as beautiful as it comes. Everything works perfectly.

Avalon Experience
By L.PASCIUTTI on 05/13/06 05:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent road car. Have some issues with quality and ergonomics. Transmission seems to shift excessively in traffic. EPA estimates were off significantly under old stds; now are more in line with my experience.

Rattles front and back
By T. Wagner on 05/01/06 19:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Since having my vehicle, my first Toyota, it has been into the dealership over 10 times. A few of my visits have been ones where the car was kept overnight. Why? Dash rattles, trim rattles, windshield rattles that just keep coming back. The dealer has replaced many parts but yet has found a "cure" that lasts over two weeks. That is up front!!! Body rattles in the back were finally eliminated by epoxy caulk after many visits. Both the windshield and back windows have been replaced to try to quiet the rattles. The dealership has been diligent and professional. I have had many vehicles over the years, new and old, but never one with such rattles that persist.

A great buy
By Roger on 04/19/06 15:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After researching Chrysler 300, Lexus, Cadillac and Mercedes I kept coming back to the 2005 Avalon and I have not been disappointed. On long drives I get 32-34 mpg (regular fuel). 24-27 round town. A/C and heated seats are real nice. Guests have vry favorable comments on the all the room and comfort in the back seat. The one negative is a "dirty socks" smell that sometimes comes out of the air conditioner (mold?). Have taken to dealer and they sprayed it but to no avail.

Disappointed
By Slats on 03/29/06 15:24 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I HATE to say this, but as a long-time Cadillac owner, I finally switched to Toyota on the advice of friends who are loyal Toyota owners. The ride is great, the gas mileage is spectacular, and the interior and trunk space are huge. BUT - the interior finish is cheap. The yellow foam on the front seats shows through. I've had the steering column replaced (recall item), the driver seatbelt stopped retracting, the power steering pump went out (10,000 miles) and it's got a ferocious pull to the right that the dealer says will probably be a future recall. Not the quality/reliability I was looking for. I'm considering switching to Lexus. Not what I expected at all.

Great Car
By wnavalon on 03/24/06 12:18 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have put on 12,000 miles since last April and have had absolutely no problems at all. It gets between 31.5 and 33.0 miles per gallon on the freeway and averages 20.5 in town. Everything fits and there are no rattles. I will buy another one when the time comes