Used 2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Disappointed
By john Wittig

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had car towed to dealer twice for no start. My first and last Toyota. Never had new car towed before. Car has some good features, great fuel economy, great performance. Love cooled seats. Hid headlights are great. Stereo is great. I no longer feel reliability is there. Transmission is terrible very jerky. Will make last payment soon and car will be gone. Wife wanted Toyota for quality but is disappointed

Suggested Improvements

Fix quality. Transmission, brakes, rotors had to be replaced at my expense. Too many recalls.

Love It!
By Phil

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went from a Ford Explorer to the 2005 Avalon Touring Edition. I love it! I'm 6'6" and even I would be comfortable in the back seat! I love how the Touring Edition hugs the road. By rotating my tires every 5,000 miles, I was able to get 60,000 miles off the original set. 2 years and 1 month of ownership the battery died. I am disappointed somewhat in the quality of the interior. The finish is wearing off on inside the drivers door handle and a few other small issues but overall the car is great and gets great gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and roominess and look of the car. I still have people ask me at red-lights what kind of car it is.

Suggested Improvements

Again, the quality if the interior has been some what disappointing. The finish is wearing off and there are a few other small issues.

Lexus quality for Toyota price
By Paul

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has great power and outstanding gas mileage. 30 mpg on the highway! The stereo plastic cover is dumb and not needed. A/C and heated seats are the best! We owned a Volvo S80 T6 which was a mechanical nightmare so we are so excited to have this reliable car. I miss the volvo seats but that's it! This Avalon is a great value and beautiful to drive but I wish it had a more sporty feel... my wife loves it though and didn't want the Nissan Maxima that I tried to get us. This car is better than I thought even thought the older people seem to drive it after retirement. We are in our 30s so we are making it a cool car!

Favorite Features

Push button start and a/c seats...and the powerful engine!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the plastic cover on the stereo. Wiper blades are EXPENSIVE!

LessThan Perfect
By Phillip

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After 65,000 miles, I have become to like the car more now than when first purchased. Bad interior rattle near top of back glass. It took tree trips to dealer to get fixed. Has lots of other little rattles in cold weather. Transmission hesitation and jerkiness at low speeds is a definite design flaw to me; however, Toyota will not admit to this of course. The hvac system is very hard to control, especially in cold weather. Once automatic system acclimates, warm air comes from floor vents and unwanted cold air comes from dash vents. Toyota will not admit to this design flaw either. The laser cruise control in concept is great; however, it doesn't work as should, waste of money.

Favorite Features

Overall, I like the car, especially its reliability. The economy with all that power is amazing.....motor is tops. The exterior design is pleasing, lots of people look at it. Sound system is tops. Navigation system is very handy.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, transmission, transmission. I think Toyota would benefit greatly to replace the present transmission with a CVT type transmission. The current transmission is really poor.

Great Value
By JB

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a true bargain. I have owned other sedans but for the money this may be the smartest choice. This car is a true pleasure if you like a luxurious ride with great reliability. The car is smart looking without going overboard, the interior is excellent. For buyers looking for a sport feel this car is not the right choice.

Favorite Features

Interior layout is second to none.

Suggested Improvements

improve the latch on the stereo cover