Used 2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews - 282 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Lots for the money
By glendola

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Avalon new in 12/05. It did have 1,100 miles, however I consider that new. It was in the showroom, and in black on black it was a totally impressive and sharp car. I was impressed with the laundry list of standard equipment. From the reclining rear seats, to the most exceptional stereo I have heard, even in cars that cost $15k more. I won't get into the other standard features because that would take forever, let's just say you want for nothing in this car in the way of luxury. I have had absolutely no complaints mechanically. Even the tires with 48,000 miles still have at least 15,0000 miles left on them. The performance is astonishing. Would definitely repurchase.

Tremendous interior, all quality interior materials are top notch, expected in a much expensive German competitor. AWESOME acceleration returning more than acceptable fuel economy. Reclining rear seats. Whisper quiet interior. Very good assembly quality, as usual for Toyota.

Traction control being standard, could use a larger trunk, but I think Toyota was more concerned with interior room, which is more than accommodating.

Intermittent Starting Problem
By Will

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased vehicle new and after approx. 2 years noticed problem in starting engine(no pattern to problem). Dealer claims foot is not being held firmly on brake pedal when starting. Why did it take 2 years for this to become a problem. Dealer has kept vehicle on 2 occasions for several days and says it never failed to start. They said they have never seen this problem before & don't know where to look for the problem. Toyota said basically the same thing. When it fails, and without changing pressure on brake pedal, it usually starts after 4-5 attempts. Strange Toyota "engineers" can't provide a fix for this problem. This is my last Toyota. Small oil leak at 1000 miles.

Keyless entry & remote start when they work properly.

Instruments could be more visible in daytime when sun is shinning on dash. Improve back-up light intensity. Position of steering wheel also hides some of the instrumentation.

Disappointed
By john Wittig

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had car towed to dealer twice for no start. My first and last Toyota. Never had new car towed before. Car has some good features, great fuel economy, great performance. Love cooled seats. Hid headlights are great. Stereo is great. I no longer feel reliability is there. Transmission is terrible very jerky. Will make last payment soon and car will be gone. Wife wanted Toyota for quality but is disappointed

Fix quality. Transmission, brakes, rotors had to be replaced at my expense. Too many recalls.

Love It!
By Phil

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went from a Ford Explorer to the 2005 Avalon Touring Edition. I love it! I'm 6'6" and even I would be comfortable in the back seat! I love how the Touring Edition hugs the road. By rotating my tires every 5,000 miles, I was able to get 60,000 miles off the original set. 2 years and 1 month of ownership the battery died. I am disappointed somewhat in the quality of the interior. The finish is wearing off on inside the drivers door handle and a few other small issues but overall the car is great and gets great gas mileage.

Gas mileage and roominess and look of the car. I still have people ask me at red-lights what kind of car it is.

Again, the quality if the interior has been some what disappointing. The finish is wearing off and there are a few other small issues.

Lexus quality for Toyota price
By Paul

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has great power and outstanding gas mileage. 30 mpg on the highway! The stereo plastic cover is dumb and not needed. A/C and heated seats are the best! We owned a Volvo S80 T6 which was a mechanical nightmare so we are so excited to have this reliable car. I miss the volvo seats but that's it! This Avalon is a great value and beautiful to drive but I wish it had a more sporty feel... my wife loves it though and didn't want the Nissan Maxima that I tried to get us. This car is better than I thought even thought the older people seem to drive it after retirement. We are in our 30s so we are making it a cool car!

Push button start and a/c seats...and the powerful engine!

Get rid of the plastic cover on the stereo. Wiper blades are EXPENSIVE!