Used 2005 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

80,000 miles and still lovin it
By Kim

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 6th Toyota I have purchased new and love it just as much as the day we brought it home. There have been no major mechanical issues. We recently had a new computer update put in for the jerky transmission. That problem is gone now. Take note if you still have warranty get your dealership to install the update. Love the gas mileage average 27 mpg & have had it up to 35 on expressway road trips. The motor has had a tick in it since day one (sounds a bit like an old Mercedes diesel, not as loud) but it doesn't seem to be having any issues. New brakes & rotors @ 60,000,and it seems like the muffler may be getting ready to be replaced. Have done all maintenance as scheduled. LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Favorite Features

Auto Dimming mirrors, heated seats, and adjustable sliding armrest

Suggested Improvements

The Avalon should be offered without a sunroof on all trim levels. Steering wheel tilt/telescope adjustments are not very user friendly. Cup holders in back armrest are not secure. Better garment hook arrangement would be nice.

Greatest car from Toyota.
By Steven

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After buying in 2001 a series 5 BMW by 2005 I had had it with this German maker and its pieces of junk cars that let me stranded 4 times and had me dry on repairs. (My brother warned me but I wanted the Beemer... what an idiot I was for not listening). I need something luxurious and reliable and it was not hard to decided among an Avalon an Infinity, and a Lexus LS when I checked the options, size, cost of ownership, features and the styling. Almost 4 years later and never a problem (except for the rear sunshade) this Avalon has been the best car I have owned so far. It is a well designed big car. In the back has a flat floor, seats that recline and plenty of room for teenagers and adults.

Favorite Features

I love the clean lines inside. The covers on the stereo and navigation makes the car look beautiful, smart cruise control, heated and ventilated seats, amazing stereo system. Navigation system, size and fuel consumption. The acceleration is superb - plenty of power going up hill. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

More sportier and visually striking style to appeal not only to the old crowd but people like me in their 40's that want to remain loyal to the brand. Add a massager to the seats and I'm sold to buy a new one again. Since asking is free why not add a couple of TV's for the teenagers in the back.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Jim

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car as a Certified Pre- Owned in 11/07 with 16,000 miles on it. I have 49,000 miles now and I absolutely love it! I have not had ANY problems with the car. All it asks for is gas and oil. I had a 2001 Avalon prior to this one and this one is far superior in every way... style, comfort, power, features, reliability. Toyota definitely took the Avalon to the next level! I receive compliments on the car all the time. It is the best luxury car value on the market. I am averaging 23-24 mpg, and routinely get 28-30 mpg on the highway.

Favorite Features

Smart key system, htd/cooled seats, reclining rear seats, rain sensing wipers, rear sunshade, HID lights, quietness, acceleration, styling, leg room, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Handle for trunk pull-down, double front sunshades like my 2001 model had.

Lots for the money
By glendola

2005 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Avalon new in 12/05. It did have 1,100 miles, however I consider that new. It was in the showroom, and in black on black it was a totally impressive and sharp car. I was impressed with the laundry list of standard equipment. From the reclining rear seats, to the most exceptional stereo I have heard, even in cars that cost $15k more. I won't get into the other standard features because that would take forever, let's just say you want for nothing in this car in the way of luxury. I have had absolutely no complaints mechanically. Even the tires with 48,000 miles still have at least 15,0000 miles left on them. The performance is astonishing. Would definitely repurchase.

Favorite Features

Tremendous interior, all quality interior materials are top notch, expected in a much expensive German competitor. AWESOME acceleration returning more than acceptable fuel economy. Reclining rear seats. Whisper quiet interior. Very good assembly quality, as usual for Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Traction control being standard, could use a larger trunk, but I think Toyota was more concerned with interior room, which is more than accommodating.

Intermittent Starting Problem
By Will

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased vehicle new and after approx. 2 years noticed problem in starting engine(no pattern to problem). Dealer claims foot is not being held firmly on brake pedal when starting. Why did it take 2 years for this to become a problem. Dealer has kept vehicle on 2 occasions for several days and says it never failed to start. They said they have never seen this problem before & don't know where to look for the problem. Toyota said basically the same thing. When it fails, and without changing pressure on brake pedal, it usually starts after 4-5 attempts. Strange Toyota "engineers" can't provide a fix for this problem. This is my last Toyota. Small oil leak at 1000 miles.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry & remote start when they work properly.

Suggested Improvements

Instruments could be more visible in daytime when sun is shinning on dash. Improve back-up light intensity. Position of steering wheel also hides some of the instrumentation.