Used 2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Better Trade Than I Thought
By Stephen

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded down to an Avalon Limited from a BMW 330I. As it turns out it wasn't that far down. I'm actually seeing more and more that this car has a lot going for it. Better gas mileage, no premium gas, it's pretty quick and a good sound system.

Favorite Features

Sound system, overall performance, the finish detail and it looks good. Rear cabin design is far superior to the BMW. Much easier to get in and out (front and back) of the Avalon for the average person.

Suggested Improvements

Wheel and tire design. Wheels could be more appealing and tires could have a bit wider profile on the Limited.

Avalon is affordable luxury and power
By Jerry Boothe

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've driven my Avalon Limited for about a month now and truly enjoy the features and power it brings. I like a car that not everybody buys and you don't see that many on the streets. I did have a '94 Toyota 2 dr Camry and it was a head turner, people still thought it was a new Camry. I tested the Lexus and Honda's and the Avalon to me was the better buy for the money, the luxury AND the power.

Favorite Features

Rain sensing wipers, the seats are heated AND air cooled, 280 hp, the smart key system, ( push button start and it unlocks when approaching the car without hitting a button), reclining rear seats and the warranty.

Suggested Improvements

Make more colors available, power retractable outside mirrors, and maybe a rearview back-up camera.

Worthwhile Avalon notes
By Richard Gaines

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 05 Avalon is a fantastic automobile. It is powerful, comfortable and a joy to drive. We just came back from a 1500 mile trip, loaded down with a trunk full and two full sized adults in front. Speeds were in the range of 75 to 80 and our mpg was 27 on average. I could easily make the rated 31 with a lighter weight and speed below 70. The only problem was the door to the CD player/am/fm stuck closed the entire 8 days. It worked fine for a day after we returned then failed to open again.One thing to be careful of is the very low curb clearance below the front bumper. There should be a replaceable rub strip along the bottom. I left a lot of "Blizzard Pearl" paint on an Applebee's high curb.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort and quality. My grey leather interior is just great. I am very glad it does not have the "euro" holes punched in the leather.

Suggested Improvements

New design for the low curb clearance below the front bumper and latches that won't stick for the dash area. Have the moon roof optional on the XLS. I like to ride my seat high but in this car I have lost an inch or two of ceiling clearance due to the sliding roof mechinizm. The odometer hard to see

missing seat belt
By Lee Goodman

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Like the car, BUT I find the transmission indecisive and "quirky". The manual shift option on the automatic trans is better on the Chrysler. I know. I owned one. Further, the trans up-shifts at inappropriate times; as when coasting or when applying the brakes lightly. Just the opposite of what it should do. Left rear passenger seat belt missing (the part with the red button). Sound volume on DVD players (in head-rests) cannot be adjusted.

Favorite Features

Dash layout.

Suggested Improvements

Refine the transmissions

Quite Impressed
By mrjohn

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Was originally looking at Acura TLs and Infiniti G35s, but the extra space and better fuel economy of the Avalon won me over. I am just amazed that Toyota can take a 280 hp engine and still get 31 mpg on 87 octane, whereas Acura can't do that on the TL with premium fuel. Not to mention the Avalon is bigger, and hence, heavier. No complaints so far.

Favorite Features

The cooled seats are a definite favorite. Also like the navigation system, stereo quality, and steering wheel controls.

Suggested Improvements

None really. Perhaps a little bit stiffer suspension, but I probably could have had that by giving up the Limited for the Touring model. Also, XM should be a factory installed option, as aesthetically well-done as in the Acuras.