Used 2005 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Problem with my Avalon?
By Pat G.

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2005 Toyota Avalon XL in May and were very satisfied with it but now I am beginning to have second thoughts. It has less than 3000 miles on it now. I made a 200 mile round trip in July and it made 31 mpg. Great!! I really bragged it up. But two weeks ago I made the same trip but on a breezy day and temps in the 90-100 degree range. This time it made 25 mpg as well as downshifted on slight inclines. Yesterday I had to make the same trip under nearly the same hot/breezy conditions and it made 25 again and had the same problems with downshifting on the slightest of inclines. The dealer tells us that Toyota is having problems with Avalons fuel mileage in hot weather. ??????

Spaciousness in back seat area. Styling of the Avalon.

rear view mirror with compass digital speedometer

Great car!
By Debbie

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I had previously owned 2 Toyotas but most recently had a 1990 BMW 525i. I enjoyed my BMW for 12 years. However, I'm very impressed with the Avalon. I did plenty of research and probably knew as much about the car as the salesman. It's everything I had read about...comfortable, roomy, plush...It drives well on the open road. I'd never had automatic doors, a cup holder, leather, CD changer. So I'm in heaven. Great value for the price.

Leather is comfortable, even in our hot, summer weather. Love the large print on the dash display (I don't have the navigator). The new 2005 body style is what finally got me in to look at this car.

None at this time....

poor workmanship (interior)
By S. Hendley

2005 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Poor workmanship with interior features... air control louvers (in dash) keep coming off track and won't allow for directional flow... wood inserts on arm rest coming unglued... control unit for climate, radio, etc. sticks and won't fully expand out for use. Also, the navigational system is below standard - voice guidance is limited - have been very displeased with it's abilities when compared to other systems. This is my third toyota and have always been very pleased until now. Overall, the avalon limited has been an expensive disappointment.

Most comfortable car I have owned
By Marla

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Driving this car is like sitting in your living room recliner with surround sound on. Seats are VERY comfortable, sound system is magnificent. Has all the safety features standard. Gets 4-5 mpg better gas mileage than my Nissan Maxima did. Comfortably seats 5, huge trunk space, and most importantly phenomenal pick up. One downside, bumper is a blindspot while backing up. I suggest a back up alarm be installed.

Too many to name, most important to me was the comfort along with the acceleration necessary to get where I need to be. Look at the gas pedal and it goes, yet, gas mileage is great.

Need to work on the blindspot on the bumper. OR make the back up alarm available without the GPS package. I bought mine after market

Winshield Wiper Controls
By David Kosik

2005 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Positioning of windshield wiper switch mechanism is too low down on the steering column. At times I inadvertantly hit it with my knuckle while shifting the gear knob causing the wipers to activate.

Large rear seat leg room and large trunk capacity. Attention getting outside appearance which draws many favorable comments. And curtain air bags on both sides front and rear and knee bags for further protection.

Re-position windshield wiper switch controls.

• SUV