2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
80,000 miles and still lovin it
By Kim on 07/15/09 12:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 6th Toyota I have purchased new and love it just as much as the day we brought it home. There have been no major mechanical issues. We recently had a new computer update put in for the jerky transmission. That problem is gone now. Take note if you still have warranty get your dealership to install the update. Love the gas mileage average 27 mpg & have had it up to 35 on expressway road trips. The motor has had a tick in it since day one (sounds a bit like an old Mercedes diesel, not as loud) but it doesn't seem to be having any issues. New brakes & rotors @ 60,000,and it seems like the muffler may be getting ready to be replaced. Have done all maintenance as scheduled. LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Greatest car from Toyota.
By Steven on 05/11/09 15:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After buying in 2001 a series 5 BMW by 2005 I had had it with this German maker and its pieces of junk cars that let me stranded 4 times and had me dry on repairs. (My brother warned me but I wanted the Beemer... what an idiot I was for not listening). I need something luxurious and reliable and it was not hard to decided among an Avalon an Infinity, and a Lexus LS when I checked the options, size, cost of ownership, features and the styling. Almost 4 years later and never a problem (except for the rear sunshade) this Avalon has been the best car I have owned so far. It is a well designed big car. In the back has a flat floor, seats that recline and plenty of room for teenagers and adults.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Jim on 04/01/09 07:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car as a Certified Pre- Owned in 11/07 with 16,000 miles on it. I have 49,000 miles now and I absolutely love it! I have not had ANY problems with the car. All it asks for is gas and oil. I had a 2001 Avalon prior to this one and this one is far superior in every way... style, comfort, power, features, reliability. Toyota definitely took the Avalon to the next level! I receive compliments on the car all the time. It is the best luxury car value on the market. I am averaging 23-24 mpg, and routinely get 28-30 mpg on the highway.

Lots for the money
By glendola on 01/30/09 18:37 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Avalon new in 12/05. It did have 1,100 miles, however I consider that new. It was in the showroom, and in black on black it was a totally impressive and sharp car. I was impressed with the laundry list of standard equipment. From the reclining rear seats, to the most exceptional stereo I have heard, even in cars that cost $15k more. I won't get into the other standard features because that would take forever, let's just say you want for nothing in this car in the way of luxury. I have had absolutely no complaints mechanically. Even the tires with 48,000 miles still have at least 15,0000 miles left on them. The performance is astonishing. Would definitely repurchase.

Intermittent Starting Problem
By Will on 12/19/08 17:14 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased vehicle new and after approx. 2 years noticed problem in starting engine(no pattern to problem). Dealer claims foot is not being held firmly on brake pedal when starting. Why did it take 2 years for this to become a problem. Dealer has kept vehicle on 2 occasions for several days and says it never failed to start. They said they have never seen this problem before & don't know where to look for the problem. Toyota said basically the same thing. When it fails, and without changing pressure on brake pedal, it usually starts after 4-5 attempts. Strange Toyota "engineers" can't provide a fix for this problem. This is my last Toyota. Small oil leak at 1000 miles.

Disappointed
By john Wittig on 11/16/08 17:23 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had car towed to dealer twice for no start. My first and last Toyota. Never had new car towed before. Car has some good features, great fuel economy, great performance. Love cooled seats. Hid headlights are great. Stereo is great. I no longer feel reliability is there. Transmission is terrible very jerky. Will make last payment soon and car will be gone. Wife wanted Toyota for quality but is disappointed

Love It!
By Phil on 11/13/08 05:17 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went from a Ford Explorer to the 2005 Avalon Touring Edition. I love it! I'm 6'6" and even I would be comfortable in the back seat! I love how the Touring Edition hugs the road. By rotating my tires every 5,000 miles, I was able to get 60,000 miles off the original set. 2 years and 1 month of ownership the battery died. I am disappointed somewhat in the quality of the interior. The finish is wearing off on inside the drivers door handle and a few other small issues but overall the car is great and gets great gas mileage.

Lexus quality for Toyota price
By Paul on 10/10/08 18:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has great power and outstanding gas mileage. 30 mpg on the highway! The stereo plastic cover is dumb and not needed. A/C and heated seats are the best! We owned a Volvo S80 T6 which was a mechanical nightmare so we are so excited to have this reliable car. I miss the volvo seats but that's it! This Avalon is a great value and beautiful to drive but I wish it had a more sporty feel... my wife loves it though and didn't want the Nissan Maxima that I tried to get us. This car is better than I thought even thought the older people seem to drive it after retirement. We are in our 30s so we are making it a cool car!

LessThan Perfect
By Phillip on 08/14/08 14:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After 65,000 miles, I have become to like the car more now than when first purchased. Bad interior rattle near top of back glass. It took tree trips to dealer to get fixed. Has lots of other little rattles in cold weather. Transmission hesitation and jerkiness at low speeds is a definite design flaw to me; however, Toyota will not admit to this of course. The hvac system is very hard to control, especially in cold weather. Once automatic system acclimates, warm air comes from floor vents and unwanted cold air comes from dash vents. Toyota will not admit to this design flaw either. The laser cruise control in concept is great; however, it doesn't work as should, waste of money.

Great Value
By JB on 07/30/08 20:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a true bargain. I have owned other sedans but for the money this may be the smartest choice. This car is a true pleasure if you like a luxurious ride with great reliability. The car is smart looking without going overboard, the interior is excellent. For buyers looking for a sport feel this car is not the right choice.