2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
...and a few years later
By kydna on 07/13/12 04:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Still own my 2005 Avalon 7+ years. Almost 41,000 miles. The car has not needed a lot of attention. Now that it does; it calls for the seal to be replaced on the front of the engine block. Oil leak! Of course the engine will have to be removed. 1700.00 repair! Good gas mileage. Seats are fair at best on comfort when heat/cool optioned. Laser cruise is ok for the first 25,000 miles then it is............. particular?? Ok, car but at best a cheap Lexus knockoff!

2005 Avalon Limited
By Momof2 on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car 26 months now and have had no mechanical problems. Replaced the tires and brakes and regular maintenance. Very fun to drive for such a large car, I'm still in my 30's and want something that carries my family comfortably and still has some power under the hood, and my Avalon has it all. Paint seems to be thin though, and has small rust spots in places, even though I wax 2x a year. Only big problem is that when I went to upgrade into a newer model, I lost all of my value due to Toyotas recent problems, and am now stuck upside down. The only good thing to that is at least my car is last me a good long time. I'll be bored of it long before it wears out, I believe.

Why isn't this car talked about more?
By q45samuel on 08/12/10 20:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hello, I traded a paid-off 01 7 series BMW for my 05 Avalon limited. I really lost on the deal, but something seemed so right after I test drove this used Avalon. 2 years later, I've installed an iPod connect and changed the oil twice. Though I no longer Wonder what needs repaired when I drive off, I now smile. This ava limited is my friend. The air conditioner is nice, seats are comfortable, audio and ride do what they're supposed to do, so I ask 'why isn't this car mentioned more for its qualities? 'a true sleeper' I thought, for I live in a upper middle-class neighborhood, and the Avalon seems to be everywhere. Toyotas are around, but the Avalon is everywhere. This may be my last car

This car is a sleeper
By samuel on 08/08/10 13:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

in my 30 yrs of driving, I've had more than 20 different cars. a 87 lincoln mk7, 93 sc400, 2002 q45, had been my favorites until buying my 05 avalon limited. nearing 2 yrs with 65,000, all done has been installing ipod plug and oil changes. i've taking 2 yrs of auto courses, so i know about problems with autos. my 05 avalon is a true sleeper. every time i get into it, I'm amazed at how it seems to want to be noticed.besides 23 city and 30 plus hwy, it never breaks down. though, like a number of others, i had to be reminded how to use the key fob. thing is why hasn't more be told about this car? my 05 limited is nearly the same car as the 2010 limited,so why hasn't the critics mentioned this?

Questionable
By kydna on 07/19/10 18:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Car has had no major problems. Time is showing quality issues. Paint chips very easy. Interior headliner needs replaced. Radio door cover opens 40% of the time. Control panel door for nav. falling off! With just over 30,000 miles not the quality I would expect from Toyota! I will return to MB!

Greatest car from Toyota.
By Steven on 05/11/09 15:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After buying in 2001 a series 5 BMW by 2005 I had had it with this German maker and its pieces of junk cars that let me stranded 4 times and had me dry on repairs. (My brother warned me but I wanted the Beemer... what an idiot I was for not listening). I need something luxurious and reliable and it was not hard to decided among an Avalon an Infinity, and a Lexus LS when I checked the options, size, cost of ownership, features and the styling. Almost 4 years later and never a problem (except for the rear sunshade) this Avalon has been the best car I have owned so far. It is a well designed big car. In the back has a flat floor, seats that recline and plenty of room for teenagers and adults.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Jim on 04/01/09 07:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car as a Certified Pre- Owned in 11/07 with 16,000 miles on it. I have 49,000 miles now and I absolutely love it! I have not had ANY problems with the car. All it asks for is gas and oil. I had a 2001 Avalon prior to this one and this one is far superior in every way... style, comfort, power, features, reliability. Toyota definitely took the Avalon to the next level! I receive compliments on the car all the time. It is the best luxury car value on the market. I am averaging 23-24 mpg, and routinely get 28-30 mpg on the highway.

Intermittent Starting Problem
By Will on 12/19/08 17:14 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased vehicle new and after approx. 2 years noticed problem in starting engine(no pattern to problem). Dealer claims foot is not being held firmly on brake pedal when starting. Why did it take 2 years for this to become a problem. Dealer has kept vehicle on 2 occasions for several days and says it never failed to start. They said they have never seen this problem before & don't know where to look for the problem. Toyota said basically the same thing. When it fails, and without changing pressure on brake pedal, it usually starts after 4-5 attempts. Strange Toyota "engineers" can't provide a fix for this problem. This is my last Toyota. Small oil leak at 1000 miles.

Disappointed
By john Wittig on 11/16/08 17:23 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had car towed to dealer twice for no start. My first and last Toyota. Never had new car towed before. Car has some good features, great fuel economy, great performance. Love cooled seats. Hid headlights are great. Stereo is great. I no longer feel reliability is there. Transmission is terrible very jerky. Will make last payment soon and car will be gone. Wife wanted Toyota for quality but is disappointed

Lexus quality for Toyota price
By Paul on 10/10/08 18:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has great power and outstanding gas mileage. 30 mpg on the highway! The stereo plastic cover is dumb and not needed. A/C and heated seats are the best! We owned a Volvo S80 T6 which was a mechanical nightmare so we are so excited to have this reliable car. I miss the volvo seats but that's it! This Avalon is a great value and beautiful to drive but I wish it had a more sporty feel... my wife loves it though and didn't want the Nissan Maxima that I tried to get us. This car is better than I thought even thought the older people seem to drive it after retirement. We are in our 30s so we are making it a cool car!