2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
NOT WHAT I IMAGINED
By bennettsbebe on 09/28/11 23:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. The rear view mirror cant be adjusted as it hits the ceiling because of placement, the paint is peeling. The front has mysterious issues no one can diagnose including jerking randomly, speaking of jerking the tranny does it too when it wants. The headrests are not adjustable, and the seats are not as comfortable as I hoped. I do like the quite cabin, the amazing sound system, the safety features, and the gas mileage, I have gotten as much as 31.5 on the highway. Still I think that Toyota started cutting corners on many of their vehicles staring in 05. Next car: GERMAN even if they are maintenance needy.

Excellent
By Raj on 11/23/09 12:44 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've been driving my Avalon XLS for past 4 yrs. Already put 95,00 miles on it. It drives more than a Lexus,280 HP - decent power and great fuel efficiency (I've got once close 32 mpg).

80,000 miles and still lovin it
By Kim on 07/15/09 12:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 6th Toyota I have purchased new and love it just as much as the day we brought it home. There have been no major mechanical issues. We recently had a new computer update put in for the jerky transmission. That problem is gone now. Take note if you still have warranty get your dealership to install the update. Love the gas mileage average 27 mpg & have had it up to 35 on expressway road trips. The motor has had a tick in it since day one (sounds a bit like an old Mercedes diesel, not as loud) but it doesn't seem to be having any issues. New brakes & rotors @ 60,000,and it seems like the muffler may be getting ready to be replaced. Have done all maintenance as scheduled. LOVE IT LOVE IT!

Great Value
By JB on 07/30/08 20:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a true bargain. I have owned other sedans but for the money this may be the smartest choice. This car is a true pleasure if you like a luxurious ride with great reliability. The car is smart looking without going overboard, the interior is excellent. For buyers looking for a sport feel this car is not the right choice.

Not up to Toyota hype of Quality
By My First Toyota on 01/08/08 16:26 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

In for service many, many times for rattles and squeaks. Noise was in both front and back of vehicle. Original set of tires lasted 19,000 miles and was told by the dealer this is common for that car. They are expensive to replace as are the wiper blades. Rear brakes showing more wear than front (odd for a front wheel drive car) and will have to be replaced in approx. 5-10 thousand miles. Mileage on the road is down about 3 miles per gallon since new. All in all I guess I am disappointed in my Toyota ownership experience. It is not that it is a bad vehicle, but it simply does not live up to the quality Toyota advertises.

Pass on this car
By Unhappy Camper on 07/05/07 17:17 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Not what I expected from Toyota! Frequent visits to the dealer for a variety of repairs including replacement of the intermediate steering column, repair of a faulty air bag system (which by the way involves disassembly of basically the entire interior), oil leak, and replacement of driver side leather seat for premature cracking wear. If that's not enough, it's back in the shop once again because the faulty air bag light has come back on. I can not believe this is a Toyota. Had previously owned a Previa van that was extremely reliable. Would not recommend this car to anyone.

Toyota Quality?
By John on 06/04/07 06:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very soft paint. Chips and pit marks started to appear almost from the first day. After the first winter there were easily 100 "holes" in the paint all over the car. Toyota would not stand behind the defect. They stated it was from road salt and stones, etc. I agree that is what causes the marks but I looked at many others cars with similar driving conditions and none were even close to the condition of mine. The next big problem was with the brakes. A front caliper locked up at about 44K miles. The repair - two front calipers, rotors, pads, labor was almost $900. It would have been much much more at the dealer with OEM parts. So this is Toyota quality?

Disappointed for the money
By Roger on 03/21/07 05:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am selling the car after 25 months of ownership. What a disappointment. Worst highway car I have ever owned. Can't keep it between the lines and forget about driving it on the highway when it is breezy. Transmission is the worst at slow speed. Motor is very noisy. AC climate control in the winter is very poor. Steering problems, oil leaks, radio problems. This car is not what the so-called experts claim it to be. Buy some other vehicle. Don't listen to the experts.

Love it but not reliable so far
By MichaelG on 02/11/07 13:46 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have 20K miles on our 2005. We love the car but it has been in the shop several times. It does have a transmission hesitation but is only an issue in rush hour. Currently, it is in the shop for another month awaiting a new steering assembly.

Next to Lexus.
By Ralph Joch on 12/09/06 06:11 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

An absolute pleasure to drive, city or highway.