Used 2005 Toyota Avalon Touring Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Lots for the money
By glendola

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Avalon new in 12/05. It did have 1,100 miles, however I consider that new. It was in the showroom, and in black on black it was a totally impressive and sharp car. I was impressed with the laundry list of standard equipment. From the reclining rear seats, to the most exceptional stereo I have heard, even in cars that cost $15k more. I won't get into the other standard features because that would take forever, let's just say you want for nothing in this car in the way of luxury. I have had absolutely no complaints mechanically. Even the tires with 48,000 miles still have at least 15,0000 miles left on them. The performance is astonishing. Would definitely repurchase.

Favorite Features

Tremendous interior, all quality interior materials are top notch, expected in a much expensive German competitor. AWESOME acceleration returning more than acceptable fuel economy. Reclining rear seats. Whisper quiet interior. Very good assembly quality, as usual for Toyota.

Suggested Improvements

Traction control being standard, could use a larger trunk, but I think Toyota was more concerned with interior room, which is more than accommodating.

Not the Toyota I Expected
By mikeecee

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our Avalon was purchased w/ about 90,000 miles...we took it for a short test drive it was great! HOWEVA', when driving on longer trips, both passenger and driver seats become uncomfortable, to the point of numb legs. After about a year of ownership, during an oil change, the technician informed me there was 'a lot of oil on the engine'. We took it to the dealer, and a crankshaft gasket had failed (they said it is a freak thing). Most expensive repair ever. Otherwise, it has been fairly reliable

Favorite Features

Quiet ride & gas mileage, great stereo, interior space, get-up-n-go.

Suggested Improvements

Front seat comfort

Ultimate reliability
By Kevin McLean

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming up on 137,000 miles on my Avalon touring edition 2005, the car had zero problems. Of course I have changed the front brakes out once, and tires rotated/changed once. This car has been a sigh of relief in having the confidence this car will not break down. I realize that no car will not run into problems with regular maintenance performed. But, so far this is the most reliable car I have ever purchased. In one year alone I put up 55,000 miles on my Avalon with only a battery change. If you're in outside sales, having to keep every appointment, this is the car for you. Luxury & reliability, this Avalon will be the last car I will ever have to purchase.

Favorite Features

Comfort, body style, reliability, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

All wheel drive hybrid.

Great Ride
By Dan Barrett

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Exceptional vehicle, it is a solid 12 on a 10 point scale. No disappointments, just a pleasant ride, excellent performance and good fuel economy.

Favorite Features

The reclining back seat is the best, always earning great reviews. Long trips with the adults has improved significantly.

Suggested Improvements

A "HUD" would solve a speedometer blind spot created by a tilted steering wheel.

Love It!
By Phil

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I went from a Ford Explorer to the 2005 Avalon Touring Edition. I love it! I'm 6'6" and even I would be comfortable in the back seat! I love how the Touring Edition hugs the road. By rotating my tires every 5,000 miles, I was able to get 60,000 miles off the original set. 2 years and 1 month of ownership the battery died. I am disappointed somewhat in the quality of the interior. The finish is wearing off on inside the drivers door handle and a few other small issues but overall the car is great and gets great gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and roominess and look of the car. I still have people ask me at red-lights what kind of car it is.

Suggested Improvements

Again, the quality if the interior has been some what disappointing. The finish is wearing off and there are a few other small issues.