2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
...and a few years later
By kydna on 07/13/12 04:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Still own my 2005 Avalon 7+ years. Almost 41,000 miles. The car has not needed a lot of attention. Now that it does; it calls for the seal to be replaced on the front of the engine block. Oil leak! Of course the engine will have to be removed. 1700.00 repair! Good gas mileage. Seats are fair at best on comfort when heat/cool optioned. Laser cruise is ok for the first 25,000 miles then it is............. particular?? Ok, car but at best a cheap Lexus knockoff!

NOT WHAT I IMAGINED
By bennettsbebe on 09/28/11 23:41 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Maybe my expectations were too high, but I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. The rear view mirror cant be adjusted as it hits the ceiling because of placement, the paint is peeling. The front has mysterious issues no one can diagnose including jerking randomly, speaking of jerking the tranny does it too when it wants. The headrests are not adjustable, and the seats are not as comfortable as I hoped. I do like the quite cabin, the amazing sound system, the safety features, and the gas mileage, I have gotten as much as 31.5 on the highway. Still I think that Toyota started cutting corners on many of their vehicles staring in 05. Next car: GERMAN even if they are maintenance needy.

Not the Toyota I Expected
By mikeecee on 05/20/11 16:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Our Avalon was purchased w/ about 90,000 miles...we took it for a short test drive it was great! HOWEVA', when driving on longer trips, both passenger and driver seats become uncomfortable, to the point of numb legs. After about a year of ownership, during an oil change, the technician informed me there was 'a lot of oil on the engine'. We took it to the dealer, and a crankshaft gasket had failed (they said it is a freak thing). Most expensive repair ever. Otherwise, it has been fairly reliable

2005 Avalon Limited
By Momof2 on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had this car 26 months now and have had no mechanical problems. Replaced the tires and brakes and regular maintenance. Very fun to drive for such a large car, I'm still in my 30's and want something that carries my family comfortably and still has some power under the hood, and my Avalon has it all. Paint seems to be thin though, and has small rust spots in places, even though I wax 2x a year. Only big problem is that when I went to upgrade into a newer model, I lost all of my value due to Toyotas recent problems, and am now stuck upside down. The only good thing to that is at least my car is last me a good long time. I'll be bored of it long before it wears out, I believe.

Above average returns on investment
By Larry on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle brand new. No major repair bills until now. Ignition coils all need to be replaced - this is a pricey job. Do your routine maintenance and car should be fine, but suggest that you get an extended warranty if you plan to keep it past 5 yrs and 80,000 miles

Why isn't this car talked about more?
By q45samuel on 08/12/10 20:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Hello, I traded a paid-off 01 7 series BMW for my 05 Avalon limited. I really lost on the deal, but something seemed so right after I test drove this used Avalon. 2 years later, I've installed an iPod connect and changed the oil twice. Though I no longer Wonder what needs repaired when I drive off, I now smile. This ava limited is my friend. The air conditioner is nice, seats are comfortable, audio and ride do what they're supposed to do, so I ask 'why isn't this car mentioned more for its qualities? 'a true sleeper' I thought, for I live in a upper middle-class neighborhood, and the Avalon seems to be everywhere. Toyotas are around, but the Avalon is everywhere. This may be my last car

This car is a sleeper
By samuel on 08/08/10 13:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

in my 30 yrs of driving, I've had more than 20 different cars. a 87 lincoln mk7, 93 sc400, 2002 q45, had been my favorites until buying my 05 avalon limited. nearing 2 yrs with 65,000, all done has been installing ipod plug and oil changes. i've taking 2 yrs of auto courses, so i know about problems with autos. my 05 avalon is a true sleeper. every time i get into it, I'm amazed at how it seems to want to be noticed.besides 23 city and 30 plus hwy, it never breaks down. though, like a number of others, i had to be reminded how to use the key fob. thing is why hasn't more be told about this car? my 05 limited is nearly the same car as the 2010 limited,so why hasn't the critics mentioned this?

Questionable
By kydna on 07/19/10 18:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Car has had no major problems. Time is showing quality issues. Paint chips very easy. Interior headliner needs replaced. Radio door cover opens 40% of the time. Control panel door for nav. falling off! With just over 30,000 miles not the quality I would expect from Toyota! I will return to MB!

Excellent
By Raj on 11/23/09 12:44 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've been driving my Avalon XLS for past 4 yrs. Already put 95,00 miles on it. It drives more than a Lexus,280 HP - decent power and great fuel efficiency (I've got once close 32 mpg).

Ultimate reliability
By Kevin McLean on 11/12/09 08:54 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota Avalon Sedan Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Coming up on 137,000 miles on my Avalon touring edition 2005, the car had zero problems. Of course I have changed the front brakes out once, and tires rotated/changed once. This car has been a sigh of relief in having the confidence this car will not break down. I realize that no car will not run into problems with regular maintenance performed. But, so far this is the most reliable car I have ever purchased. In one year alone I put up 55,000 miles on my Avalon with only a battery change. If you're in outside sales, having to keep every appointment, this is the car for you. Luxury & reliability, this Avalon will be the last car I will ever have to purchase.