2004 Toyota Avalon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Sort Reviews by

Our Avalon
By Kira

2004 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well guys, so far this car is excellent! Very roomy and comfy. Performance is great, I cannot say excellent though. Motor is smooth as silk as well as shifting. My one complaint is the doors ding EXTREMELY EASY! I have had to have two taken out already. Im not sure if its the metal used(thickness) or the placement of the molding? I am very displeased with this problem though. Other then that no complaints at all.

Favorite Features

Interior room Nice smooth power Massive trunk Handles pretty darn good!

Suggested Improvements

We are very conscious where we park our car. The door metal seems to be very thin. Door dings are a major problem! Door moulding may need to be moved to help.

Love It
By John Abatematteo

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Had it 1 year and still think I made the best choice for me.

Favorite Features

Memory seats. Roomy interior. Has every luxury I DESIRED.

would not buy it again
By Pudtat

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

From the very first week the car has had a vibration. Paint scracthes easily. Has a mildew smell from the A/C. I was told by the manufactuer rep that the vibration was normal. Not happy with this car at all.

Favorite Features

large back seat. CD player holds 6 CDs

nice car
By douglass

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

the avolon is a nice car but I think the dash board could be made so you can better read the speed that you are going it seems that you are always looking around thw steering wheel to check on speed and gas gauge. perhaps in the future this might be something to look at

Old car like new
By RolandMuse

2004 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great!I have enjoyed driving this auto. My husband has also enjoyrd the car.Will keep it for another 75,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Comfort!

Suggested Improvements

Seat belt alignment

Best Car I've Ever Owned!
By The Professor Bill

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The title says it all -- it's the best! I get about 26 MPG, great comfort, more head room than my old Lincoln, lots of rear seat room. The trunk's not as big as the Lincoln's, but it's bigger than my friends' cars' trunks. I am enthusiastically a pro- Avalon affectionato!

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, COMFORTABLE seats. I weigh over 300 lbs and am 6 feet tall & I have a very comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Visor on driver's side could be bigger - - sun can bother at sunset [when coming from the right].

Mommy's Avalon
By DStealth

2004 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As Matty our car salesman would refer to Mary, this is "Mommy's" car! As previous owners of a Toyota Camry XLE, we found the small "upgrade" to the Avalon was well worth the extra $$. The Avalon was much roomier than the Camry and we opted for the XL rather than the XLS - who needs the moonroof and heated seats anyway. We purchased the wood look from the parts dept. and now have what we want. Hmm all I need now is a XLS emblem and we are there!

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, sexy dash, great styling, plenty of power! PERFECT UPGRADE from Camry XLE-Only 1k more!

Suggested Improvements

Parts dept. says it has wood grain for all items that XLS has on it,except for radio. Does that make any sense?? Part salesman said that if we would have wanted wood grain, we should have bought the XLS ($4,000 more. Not a very good answer, but probably an honest one! LOL

Avalon XLS is the best!
By Landlocked

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Traveling TX and LA, I wanted a car that would give me a big car feel without the 'floating' of the full size luxury cars. I wanted at least 3,000 lbs, 107" wheelbase, to stay under $30,000. There were only 11 cars TOTAL that qualified! Right at $30,000 the Avalon XLS is the best ride / feel / power / luxury / safety for the money. The performance of the standard 6 cyl is more than adequate! Sure, I could have spent a thousand or two less, but for the extra features and luxury, this Avalon XLS is da bomb!

Favorite Features

The woodgrain wheel/panel and leather interior is SO luxurious! The XLS is quiet-very little road noise! The digital display has all the info. one would ever need! It may not be "FUN" to drive as in a sportscar, but it is indeed FUN to drive in such luxury!

Suggested Improvements

I wish Toyota would build a few without "ALL" the extras. No need for heated seats / mirrors in the south! Not everyone wants a moonroof! The rear spoiler clutters the appearance of a luxury car. The sunroof wind deflector interrupts the flow of the roofline! Keep it simple!

toyota avalon
By tennisace

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

reliable, extremely roomy for our very tall family(6.5 and 6.7) even in the rear. XLS comes with everything, we continue to have problems with the vehicle skid control, car only has 5000 miles.

Favorite Features

steering wheel, cruise control, dual heat and a/c controls,heated seats, sound system.leather interior

Suggested Improvements

dual heat a/c controls are not as effective as they say, car does not heat up as quickly as I would like

My Wife Loves This Car
By TX Toyota Owner

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the second Avalon we've owned (first one was a '98), and the 2003 is a much better car. The ride is very smooth, JBL speakers are worth the money, quality of car is excellent. One could pay more for a big 4 door, but why?! At least twice a month my wife comments on just how pleased she is to have this car & we've had it for a year. It's always great to hear that kind of feedback!

Favorite Features

Interior noise is low, ride is smooth, plenty of room for 4 adults to ride, engine responds well, and JBL speakers are a pleasure.

Suggested Improvements

There could be a little less wind noise. The highway fuel mileage, 23 mpg, is less than our '98 Avalon got - 27 mpg.