Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

I love this car!
By AvalonXL

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 10-04-06. It is the finest vehicle I have ever driven. Smooth, comfy, handles easy. I had no idea a car could be this amazing. I drove from Oceanside, Ca. to Las Vegas Nv. on 1 tank of gas, over 300 miles & had gas to spare, amazing!

Smooth ride, comfy seats.

none

Warning: Avalon Suspension and Brakes
By vashondean

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Avalon is Toyota's flagship vehicle, but my 2004 is a disappointment. The main reason I purchased it was for the smooth ride. However, with less than 30,000 miles, the shocks/struts needed to be replaced. With some prodding, this was covered by the dealership under warranty. The front brake rotors also needed to be resurfaced under warranty due to pulsating. Toyota would not cover the rear brakes, which were 95% gone at 29,000 miles, even though the front brakes were still at 95%. Go figure!! I also have noticed the clear coat peeling in several areas. Although I love Toyotas and would buy another one, the 2004 Avalon is, with respect, a lemon.

Quiet ride, comfortable interior, great seats.

Better suspension, better brakes, better quality clearcoat.

Not what they used to be
By Bill Martin

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I must say I am very disappointed in this car. I know the service writer on a personal basis. A transmission at 15,000, 2 power window motors, an engine computer, and waterpump at 19,000. That is plain out bad engineering.

Comfort I guess. But there are much more comfortable for 50% of the cost.

Build quality.

A pleasure to own
By Chris

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a large car for me and my family. The Avalon has a good rep for reliability (so far well deserved) and is a pleasure to ride in. While it is quick - it is not a sports car - it's more of a highway cruser of old. I have had this car for close to two years and still look forward to driving it. What a pleasure to have a car put together and so well thought out as this one. Even with the bottom package, all the stuff is included - the V-6, power windows, locks, ABS, premium sound and comfort. I looked at smaller cars with all the options added - the price is not much different.You want a large smooth comfortable car? Get the Avalon!

The ride! If you don't need to drive like you are in a race - this is a great car. Also the power of the V-6 is nice to have when you need it. This car has the resume of a Lexus at the price of a top end Toyota. The car has been reliable - turn the key and go.

Not much room for improvement. It would be nice to have it handle better and traction control on the XL trimline would also be good.

Toyota Avalon-2004
By Warren

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent quality. 3.0L engine may be a little small, but, still a good performer. In 2005, Toyota did put a 3.5L engine in the Avalon. The only real negative is the exterior design. It looks like a box coming down the road.

Dashboard display. Comfort.