Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Most Helpful|
Warning: Avalon Suspension and Brakes
By vashondean

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Avalon is Toyota's flagship vehicle, but my 2004 is a disappointment. The main reason I purchased it was for the smooth ride. However, with less than 30,000 miles, the shocks/struts needed to be replaced. With some prodding, this was covered by the dealership under warranty. The front brake rotors also needed to be resurfaced under warranty due to pulsating. Toyota would not cover the rear brakes, which were 95% gone at 29,000 miles, even though the front brakes were still at 95%. Go figure!! I also have noticed the clear coat peeling in several areas. Although I love Toyotas and would buy another one, the 2004 Avalon is, with respect, a lemon.

Favorite Features

Quiet ride, comfortable interior, great seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension, better brakes, better quality clearcoat.

what a shame when quality is forgotten
By bill234

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned many automobiles since the 1960's on. from a 67 deville convertible to this poorly built avalon. My wife drives a 2002 chevrolet impala with 93000 on it and has had no problems. That is not the same case for my nearly new avalon. my transmission is slipping it seems,my radiator is leaking and because of that makes my car heat up after 15 minutes or so of driving. the dealer claims that is normal at around this time. unexceptable... especially considering the price difference. they arent built in japan anymore and they are built with substandard parts. do yourself a favor and buy a cadillac or chevrolet.

Favorite Features

looks and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

quality. My 1967 cadillac deville was sold with 234k on it, first engine and transmission. Tell me if im wrong but u would think in 2004 that they could do better...

'04 XLS Review - Fairly good Bang 4 Buck
By Gem-n-I

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've purchased many cars new and after doing some research found a good priced 04 XLS. Paint is kinda cheap. Seats aren't comfy as could be, I'm 6'3. JBL premium sound, dual pwr seats w/ 2 memry, heated mirr's + auto dim R awesome. Seats lack thigh comfort 4 longer leg folks. Leather cheap. Replaced batry, win motor @ 30k, audio amp at 50k, drift improvement procedure at 55k, otherwise excellent reliability. Now (5/08) @ 100k and still runs like new. Friends/family say good 2go 200k - we'll c. Love using reg. fuel 25 mpg hwy 22 town. Get 28 hwy w/premium, can't justify exorbitant prices even for regular. Would recommend, and buy another 04 or older. Good car!

Favorite Features

Awesome radio, photochromic rear view and driver L mirrors, dual pwr seats, regular gas. Reliability has been pretty darn good even tho I had a couple sub-standard parts that should not have needed replacement so quickly. Same lights (except headlights) at 100k.

Suggested Improvements

Avoid cost cutting on seats, leather, win motors. Bring back dual pwr front seats, smaller tires R more inexpensive. Better build quality. Improve paint.

Avalon is a great car
By lor4262

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Avalon is a smooth riding car I love it and don't have any complaints in the last 4 months. It runs quiet and has a great pick up. I dont agree with the mileage they quote. I am getting about 17 miles on a gallon, I thought that I would get better mileage. I have the bench seat model and when the middle arm rest is down it makes it hard to latch the seat belt.

Favorite Features

The dashboard is very easy to read for me. The wood look on the inside is rich looking.

Toyota Avalon xls
By Robert Steele

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Second Avalon I have owned. First one in 1996 was quality. The 2004 model, is very poor quality. They are making the car cheaply, and poorly. The car is smoking like crazy with only 4,000 miles. With 4 trips to the dealership, they say they can't find any problem. I call smoke on a new $32,000.00 dollar car a problem. Lots of road noise, the front seat does not support your legs. The instruments reflect in the windshield. The radio is full of static, after spending 5 trips to the dealership, they say there is nothing they can do. On a $32,000.00 dollar car, give me a break. Buyer BEWARE

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that is quality, and worth The $32,000.00 I spent on a car that smokes and the radio is full of static, and the dealership says there is nothing wrong, and nothing they can do.