Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Great car.
By E & N Fitzgerald

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, truly a great car. Perfect, no. Has been perfect for my wife, I have had issues with it however. Noise from the rear end that turned out to be bushings on the rear stabilizer bars. Replaced twice. Recently the battery went and when a new 5 year was installed the computer died, literally. YES, Toyota did warranty the computer! Even after 5.5 years. Would we by another Toyota? Yes, in another 2 or 3 years depending on usage & miles..

Gas mileage, sound system, ride, moon roof, leather bucket seats, safety system, trunk space (great), comfort is great.

Rear sway bar bushings. Heated seat controls should be two (2) levels of control. Dash reading is often a problem when the sun is at your back,cannot always see the panel. Optional 10 disc Cd player.

Best Car Ever
By Joe F.

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first car I've ever owned for six years and driven for over 60,000 miles, that I can still say drives just as well as the day I bought it. I've had no problems from the beginning and can honestly say it's the best car I've owned in my 46 years of driving. I plan to keep it another 10 years and put at least another 100,000 miles on it.

Ride, handling, roominess, and understated elegance, but especially the dependability and reliability.

Audio controls on the steering wheel.

2004 XLS Avalon is a Keeper
By Jim-n-IL

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our XLS at 30k and now have 120k. This car is truly the best bang for the buck on the road of any other. We recently had a screech when starting, and replaced starter, didn't fix prob, dealer thought flywheel, turned out to be battery! Features are superb and gas mileage is also. Driving slower (55-60) provides close to 30mpg, above 70 is 28 and less. Onboard computer gives immediate feedback for mpg. Roominess and reliability, not to mention all the options truly make this car a keeper. We recently researched others on this chassis, 00-04 and found several at 250k and up, so that makes us confident. We will keep this one until we get to that point. Why not save your money?!?!

JBL sound is superb, memory seats a dream (except s/b longer for taller drivers). Auto dim/heated mirrors awesome! Auto headlights/wipers/memory seats & power passenger seat all great! As our 1st Toyota, we would definitely buy again.

Our battery was 84 month & died at 48mo, so, replace before you're stranded. Paint, interior plastics could be improved.

Still happy
By Bt Jansen

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Been driving our XLS for about 4 years now. Still very happy. Had an ignition issue where they had to replace the collar. Might have been from AZ heat. Replaced tires at about 55K. In hindsight, would have spent more as you get what you pay for in ride. Cheaper tires not as smooth as stock Michelins. Car is great for long trips. Plenty of power and Lexus like feel to car.

Power. Dependability. Quiet ride.

Body. 2005s and newer look better though.

Top Notch Toyota
By Purdue

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this car certified used as a swap from an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. A LOT easier, more fun, comfortable to drive than a top line SUV. Rides like a dream even compared to other cars I have tested. Interior is very spacious and elegant. Dash is more recessed than most and feels like there is a ton of room because of it. Classy looking car that is basically a Lexus with the Toyota emblem instead. Great cargo space as I lost nearly nothing from a Jeep to this. First car I have had and enjoying the extra fuel mileage.

Interior overall. It is both comfortable and stylish. Perforations in the leather make hot days enjoyable on leather. Ride is spectacular.

Dash looks a little funky if you are not used to the Toyota line, but it grows on you and I actually prefer it now.

• SUV