2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:
'04 XLS Review - Fairly good Bang 4 Buck
By Gem-n-I on 05/23/08 17:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've purchased many cars new and after doing some research found a good priced 04 XLS. Paint is kinda cheap. Seats aren't comfy as could be, I'm 6'3. JBL premium sound, dual pwr seats w/ 2 memry, heated mirr's + auto dim R awesome. Seats lack thigh comfort 4 longer leg folks. Leather cheap. Replaced batry, win motor @ 30k, audio amp at 50k, drift improvement procedure at 55k, otherwise excellent reliability. Now (5/08) @ 100k and still runs like new. Friends/family say good 2go 200k - we'll c. Love using reg. fuel 25 mpg hwy 22 town. Get 28 hwy w/premium, can't justify exorbitant prices even for regular. Would recommend, and buy another 04 or older. Good car!

Roomy and reliable
By Janice on 10/07/07 20:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We have nearly 100,000 miles on the car and it still doesn't have any problems. We really like the roomy back seat with lots of leg room in front and back. We probably will buy another Avalon if the price is right.

Comfort and reliability
By Ken on 06/25/07 17:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Avalon. I bought it used with 6,000 miles. In 2.5 years I have added another 50,000 and it still runs like new with only normal maintenance and rear brake pads. This car has a very comfortable, low-stress ride. You will feel as though you are gliding down the road. Interior room is excellent for driver and passengers alike. The room in rear seat is unmatched by any car I have ever been in and the trunk is big too. Gas mileage is typically 25/30. This is not a sporty car, but if you are looking for comfort and luxury at an affordable price, you will be happy with this car. Great car! I'd buy another.

2004 avalon xl
By Marie on 11/22/06 11:15 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great mileage and very comfortable. Not very stylish though and considered and "old people's car" around here. I love it though.

Avalon 04
By Stan Mills on 11/12/06 09:50 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The feel and roominess are great, the noise level is very low. Handling is very good, and the ride is smooth. The power is adequate. The only item I am not happy with is the low actual milage compared with the listed average, which is 26 highway though listed at 30, and the town mileage of 20 which is not close to the 26 listed. Highway mileage at 60 mph average is 32, at 75 it is 25.

I love this car!
By AvalonXL on 10/30/06 17:50 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 10-04-06. It is the finest vehicle I have ever driven. Smooth, comfy, handles easy. I had no idea a car could be this amazing. I drove from Oceanside, Ca. to Las Vegas Nv. on 1 tank of gas, over 300 miles & had gas to spare, amazing!

Warning: Avalon Suspension and Brakes
By vashondean on 05/07/06 19:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Avalon is Toyota's flagship vehicle, but my 2004 is a disappointment. The main reason I purchased it was for the smooth ride. However, with less than 30,000 miles, the shocks/struts needed to be replaced. With some prodding, this was covered by the dealership under warranty. The front brake rotors also needed to be resurfaced under warranty due to pulsating. Toyota would not cover the rear brakes, which were 95% gone at 29,000 miles, even though the front brakes were still at 95%. Go figure!! I also have noticed the clear coat peeling in several areas. Although I love Toyotas and would buy another one, the 2004 Avalon is, with respect, a lemon.

Not what they used to be
By Bill Martin on 03/15/06 13:33 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I must say I am very disappointed in this car. I know the service writer on a personal basis. A transmission at 15,000, 2 power window motors, an engine computer, and waterpump at 19,000. That is plain out bad engineering.

A pleasure to own
By Chris on 09/05/05 23:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a large car for me and my family. The Avalon has a good rep for reliability (so far well deserved) and is a pleasure to ride in. While it is quick - it is not a sports car - it's more of a highway cruser of old. I have had this car for close to two years and still look forward to driving it. What a pleasure to have a car put together and so well thought out as this one. Even with the bottom package, all the stuff is included - the V-6, power windows, locks, ABS, premium sound and comfort. I looked at smaller cars with all the options added - the price is not much different.You want a large smooth comfortable car? Get the Avalon!

Toyota Avalon-2004
By Warren on 08/03/05 13:50 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent quality. 3.0L engine may be a little small, but, still a good performer. In 2005, Toyota did put a 3.5L engine in the Avalon. The only real negative is the exterior design. It looks like a box coming down the road.