Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Best kept secret ever
By avylvr

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in a junk Buick in Dec of 2012 for my beautiful 2004 one owner, all service records, 72,000 mile Avalon. I had read reviews which appeared it was a good car and man were they right. It's been growing on me, I love this car. I commute 120 miles round trip a day so now I'm at 124,000 miles and this car still feels like it came off the showroom floor. I sunk about $1500 into it with new Pirelli tires, new front rotors and brakes all the way around, new rear wheel bearing, transmission service and of course the timing belt/water pump maintenance. I'm going for 400k miles. It was well taken care of before me by a little old lady and I will continue to do the same.

I love the fact of how roomy and luxurious the inside is. It has a receptacle in the back to actually plug things in! The auto a/c function is great, it adjusts the fan speeds based upon temp inside the car. The rain sensing wipers are great especially for a sudden shower and my hands are full while driving in heavy traffic.

I would like an aux jack or USB port but then I realize the car is ten years old and not many cars if any had those back in 2004 so I've gotten over it.

Bought car used
By avalonowner4

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine off the Toyota lot used. and it was a great choice. the quality of the leather and the interior design is good for being a Toyota. The roominess of the car is also great enough room for four people to sit comfortably and stretch out.

Best Car I have owned
By Neese

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new in 12/04 and have 60,000 miles. Other than oil changes, tires and routine work it has been free of any problems or concerns. I love the smooth ride and comfortable seats with warmers for winter!! This car is by far the most comfortable and easy to drive car I have ever owned.

Comfortable seats, smooth ride, quiet ride, great heating and A/C, and responsive engine. Trouble free car!!

The only thing I don't like is the cup holders. A bottle of water falls to the floor every time. You need a large cup to prevent spills.

Worst car I ever owned
By Juwel

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the vehicle new at the end of 2004-after a half year shaking and 'unsmooth' operation of the steering. Dealer found no problems. Several alignments and different sets of tires showed some improvement, but still not what you expect from a top of the line Toyota. From approx. 20k on rattling and noises from different interior parts... Now after approximately 50k the crank shaft pulleys broke (another $2k was quoted to fix this issue). In short: I bought this car since I had such positive experience with my 1990 Toyota Pick-up (now over 260k miles) and almost no repairs. However my Avalon is from a different breed: Lots of expensive repairs combined with a minimum of enjoyment.

After having lots of trouble with the vehicle there are not a lots of favorites left.

Please build them in the old Toyota quality! I do not need any fancy features - but a reliable, cost effective car.

Great car.
By E & N Fitzgerald

2004 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, truly a great car. Perfect, no. Has been perfect for my wife, I have had issues with it however. Noise from the rear end that turned out to be bushings on the rear stabilizer bars. Replaced twice. Recently the battery went and when a new 5 year was installed the computer died, literally. YES, Toyota did warranty the computer! Even after 5.5 years. Would we by another Toyota? Yes, in another 2 or 3 years depending on usage & miles..

Gas mileage, sound system, ride, moon roof, leather bucket seats, safety system, trunk space (great), comfort is great.

Rear sway bar bushings. Heated seat controls should be two (2) levels of control. Dash reading is often a problem when the sun is at your back,cannot always see the panel. Optional 10 disc Cd player.