2004 Toyota Avalon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Sort Reviews by

Best kept secret ever
By avylvr

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in a junk Buick in Dec of 2012 for my beautiful 2004 one owner, all service records, 72,000 mile Avalon. I had read reviews which appeared it was a good car and man were they right. It's been growing on me, I love this car. I commute 120 miles round trip a day so now I'm at 124,000 miles and this car still feels like it came off the showroom floor. I sunk about $1500 into it with new Pirelli tires, new front rotors and brakes all the way around, new rear wheel bearing, transmission service and of course the timing belt/water pump maintenance. I'm going for 400k miles. It was well taken care of before me by a little old lady and I will continue to do the same.

Favorite Features

I love the fact of how roomy and luxurious the inside is. It has a receptacle in the back to actually plug things in! The auto a/c function is great, it adjusts the fan speeds based upon temp inside the car. The rain sensing wipers are great especially for a sudden shower and my hands are full while driving in heavy traffic.

Suggested Improvements

I would like an aux jack or USB port but then I realize the car is ten years old and not many cars if any had those back in 2004 so I've gotten over it.

Bought car used
By avalonowner4

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine off the Toyota lot used. and it was a great choice. the quality of the leather and the interior design is good for being a Toyota. The roominess of the car is also great enough room for four people to sit comfortably and stretch out.

Best Car I have owned
By Neese

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new in 12/04 and have 60,000 miles. Other than oil changes, tires and routine work it has been free of any problems or concerns. I love the smooth ride and comfortable seats with warmers for winter!! This car is by far the most comfortable and easy to drive car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, smooth ride, quiet ride, great heating and A/C, and responsive engine. Trouble free car!!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like is the cup holders. A bottle of water falls to the floor every time. You need a large cup to prevent spills.

Worst car I ever owned
By Juwel

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the vehicle new at the end of 2004-after a half year shaking and 'unsmooth' operation of the steering. Dealer found no problems. Several alignments and different sets of tires showed some improvement, but still not what you expect from a top of the line Toyota. From approx. 20k on rattling and noises from different interior parts... Now after approximately 50k the crank shaft pulleys broke (another $2k was quoted to fix this issue). In short: I bought this car since I had such positive experience with my 1990 Toyota Pick-up (now over 260k miles) and almost no repairs. However my Avalon is from a different breed: Lots of expensive repairs combined with a minimum of enjoyment.

Favorite Features

After having lots of trouble with the vehicle there are not a lots of favorites left.

Suggested Improvements

Please build them in the old Toyota quality! I do not need any fancy features - but a reliable, cost effective car.

Great car.
By E & N Fitzgerald

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, truly a great car. Perfect, no. Has been perfect for my wife, I have had issues with it however. Noise from the rear end that turned out to be bushings on the rear stabilizer bars. Replaced twice. Recently the battery went and when a new 5 year was installed the computer died, literally. YES, Toyota did warranty the computer! Even after 5.5 years. Would we by another Toyota? Yes, in another 2 or 3 years depending on usage & miles..

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, sound system, ride, moon roof, leather bucket seats, safety system, trunk space (great), comfort is great.

Suggested Improvements

Rear sway bar bushings. Heated seat controls should be two (2) levels of control. Dash reading is often a problem when the sun is at your back,cannot always see the panel. Optional 10 disc Cd player.

Best Car Ever
By Joe F.

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first car I've ever owned for six years and driven for over 60,000 miles, that I can still say drives just as well as the day I bought it. I've had no problems from the beginning and can honestly say it's the best car I've owned in my 46 years of driving. I plan to keep it another 10 years and put at least another 100,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, roominess, and understated elegance, but especially the dependability and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Audio controls on the steering wheel.

2004 XLS Avalon is a Keeper
By Jim-n-IL

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our XLS at 30k and now have 120k. This car is truly the best bang for the buck on the road of any other. We recently had a screech when starting, and replaced starter, didn't fix prob, dealer thought flywheel, turned out to be battery! Features are superb and gas mileage is also. Driving slower (55-60) provides close to 30mpg, above 70 is 28 and less. Onboard computer gives immediate feedback for mpg. Roominess and reliability, not to mention all the options truly make this car a keeper. We recently researched others on this chassis, 00-04 and found several at 250k and up, so that makes us confident. We will keep this one until we get to that point. Why not save your money?!?!

Favorite Features

JBL sound is superb, memory seats a dream (except s/b longer for taller drivers). Auto dim/heated mirrors awesome! Auto headlights/wipers/memory seats & power passenger seat all great! As our 1st Toyota, we would definitely buy again.

Suggested Improvements

Our battery was 84 month & died at 48mo, so, replace before you're stranded. Paint, interior plastics could be improved.

Still happy
By Bt Jansen

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Been driving our XLS for about 4 years now. Still very happy. Had an ignition issue where they had to replace the collar. Might have been from AZ heat. Replaced tires at about 55K. In hindsight, would have spent more as you get what you pay for in ride. Cheaper tires not as smooth as stock Michelins. Car is great for long trips. Plenty of power and Lexus like feel to car.

Favorite Features

Power. Dependability. Quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Body. 2005s and newer look better though.

Top Notch Toyota
By Purdue

2004 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought this car certified used as a swap from an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. A LOT easier, more fun, comfortable to drive than a top line SUV. Rides like a dream even compared to other cars I have tested. Interior is very spacious and elegant. Dash is more recessed than most and feels like there is a ton of room because of it. Classy looking car that is basically a Lexus with the Toyota emblem instead. Great cargo space as I lost nearly nothing from a Jeep to this. First car I have had and enjoying the extra fuel mileage.

Favorite Features

Interior overall. It is both comfortable and stylish. Perforations in the leather make hot days enjoyable on leather. Ride is spectacular.

Suggested Improvements

Dash looks a little funky if you are not used to the Toyota line, but it grows on you and I actually prefer it now.

I still love my Avalon
By Mattie

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Avalon in June of 2004. I am faithful with oil changes and tire rotation. Have had no problems whatsoever with this car. Inside and outside are still just like new. As comfortable as any car I have ever ridden in. The gas mileage is not as good as the Camry I had before but the comfort of the Avalon makes up for this - especially if you are driving any distance.

Favorite Features

Comfort, ease of handling, feeling of security and protection.

Suggested Improvements

None