Used 2004 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

The Japanese Buick
By Ron Stephenson

2004 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Here is one of the best, most reliable cars on the market. Now 11years old, and no problems whatsoever. Quiet on the road, great mileage for a larger car and smooth handling, good brakes, great heat and cooling. Get in, drive all you want and get out rested. Once in the car, your passengers are impressed with the quality of materials and how quiet it is. Smooth ride, and lots of legroom in back. Could use larger cup holders, but the two will accommodate normal sized cups. I was so impressed with my wife's identical car that I decided to dump my Infinity M-35 and get one for myself. A low-mileage one came up at the
Toyota dealer, with new tires on a 42,000 mile example. If you need a somewhat larger car with a decent v-6 engine that gets good gas mileage and great comfort for trips, this is your car.

Best kept secret ever
By avylvr

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in a junk Buick in Dec of 2012 for my beautiful 2004 one owner, all service records, 72,000 mile Avalon. I had read reviews which appeared it was a good car and man were they right. It's been growing on me, I love this car. I commute 120 miles round trip a day so now I'm at 124,000 miles and this car still feels like it came off the showroom floor. I sunk about $1500 into it with new Pirelli tires, new front rotors and brakes all the way around, new rear wheel bearing, transmission service and of course the timing belt/water pump maintenance. I'm going for 400k miles. It was well taken care of before me by a little old lady and I will continue to do the same.

I love the fact of how roomy and luxurious the inside is. It has a receptacle in the back to actually plug things in! The auto a/c function is great, it adjusts the fan speeds based upon temp inside the car. The rain sensing wipers are great especially for a sudden shower and my hands are full while driving in heavy traffic.

I would like an aux jack or USB port but then I realize the car is ten years old and not many cars if any had those back in 2004 so I've gotten over it.

Bought car used
By avalonowner4

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine off the Toyota lot used. and it was a great choice. the quality of the leather and the interior design is good for being a Toyota. The roominess of the car is also great enough room for four people to sit comfortably and stretch out.

Best Car I have owned
By Neese

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new in 12/04 and have 60,000 miles. Other than oil changes, tires and routine work it has been free of any problems or concerns. I love the smooth ride and comfortable seats with warmers for winter!! This car is by far the most comfortable and easy to drive car I have ever owned.

Comfortable seats, smooth ride, quiet ride, great heating and A/C, and responsive engine. Trouble free car!!

The only thing I don't like is the cup holders. A bottle of water falls to the floor every time. You need a large cup to prevent spills.

Worst car I ever owned
By Juwel

2004 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the vehicle new at the end of 2004-after a half year shaking and 'unsmooth' operation of the steering. Dealer found no problems. Several alignments and different sets of tires showed some improvement, but still not what you expect from a top of the line Toyota. From approx. 20k on rattling and noises from different interior parts... Now after approximately 50k the crank shaft pulleys broke (another $2k was quoted to fix this issue). In short: I bought this car since I had such positive experience with my 1990 Toyota Pick-up (now over 260k miles) and almost no repairs. However my Avalon is from a different breed: Lots of expensive repairs combined with a minimum of enjoyment.

After having lots of trouble with the vehicle there are not a lots of favorites left.

Please build them in the old Toyota quality! I do not need any fancy features - but a reliable, cost effective car.