2003 Toyota Avalon XL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2003 Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Sort Reviews by

AVALON SUPERIOR CAR
By Connery, Sean

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased my AVALON, I had no idea what an AVALON was - had never heard the name. I saw it on a lot and asked, "What is That?" I checked the "specks" and decided to buy. The single best decision I have ever made. The nicest car I have owned.

Favorite Features

Quiet, smooth, trouble free

Suggested Improvements

no suggestions.

Fabulous Automobile in All Respects
By professorkevin

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned over 25 automobiles (and I'm only 36 y.o.!), and my recently purchased 2003 Toyota Avalon XLS (bucket seats model; Lunar Mist Metallic/Stone Leather; fully loaded) is, by far, the best automobile I've ever owned. My parents have owned their share of fine automobiles, including Lexus, and the level of refinement and quality with this automobile can easily be compared with the top-level Lexus LS Sedans. From the ultra smooth VVT-i V6 engine, to the superb ride, to the excellent fit and finish throughout, this car is fabulous in all respects and a great value.

Favorite Features

Refinement; Overall Design (interior and exterior); Legendary Toyota Quality

Suggested Improvements

None.....but I do look forward to even more great things with the redesign for Avalon, scheduled for 2005. My only suggestion for Toyota is to advertise the Avalon more often! Let more people know how great this car is!

Lincoln Man tries Toyota Avalon
By kjemiso

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Roomy enough for easy access for the handicap w/the bench seat and to accomodate a large walker or wheelchair. Only the 1990 Lincolns could do the same. Better buy. Taking it in; doesn't shift to low; door closes hard and just doesn't cool like the American makes. Like my Casis Pearl color; very attractive...

Favorite Features

Roomy, leather seats, thigh support is better than Lincoln.

Suggested Improvements

Keep the interior size for future designs and keep the bench seats-- definitely a hit for those w/special handicap needs and for top quality.

sorry i bought it
By cuezze

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I like the styling of both the interior and exterior. I don't like the way the car handles on the hiway. It has pulled to the left from the first day that i bought it. They have aligned the front end 4 times and it still pulls. The car is not good if there is much wind it gets blown all over the road. The 2000 Impala that I traded was in my opinion a better built car.I would never buy a toyota again. I have driven other cars with a list price of the same or less and have decided that I made a big mistake.

Favorite Features

It looks nice

Suggested Improvements

I don"t care. I wont buy this car again

Best of the Best ...Silent Screamer
By werewa

This is my favorite car

Favorite Features

The Legroom in front and rear ,JBL Audio system

Suggested Improvements

The Front needs to change and the rear also needs to chage like new ES300

Avalon climate control is bad design
By Trainguy

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Climate Control Air Conditioning System is the ablolute worst thing that have ever been put in a quality car like the Avalon. Temp control is very inconsistant and gives heat to your feet and cold to your body. Why this system could not have been made better, or at least the same, as any American Made Automobile with a Climate Control A/C is beyond understanding. American cars have had a working system for at least 8 years that is far superior to this. I could never recommend the Avalon XLS over the XL.

Favorite Features

Stero system is great, handling is superb and looks are great.

Suggested Improvements

FIX THE CLIMATE CONTRO SYSTEM TO WORK AS IT SHOULD. Radio Controls shoud be on the steering wheel.

2003 toyota avalon xls
By rule

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great automobile to drive. Good comfort and very quiet on the road. Excelent quality thruout the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Dual heat and air saves a lot of disagrements

Suggested Improvements

dual sun visors on each side

Competition? What Competition...
By travelerjb

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This one I'd truly classify as a "luxury car". In every way it meets that criteria. Sure, it's NO sports sedan in the flavor of a BMW or Jaguar, but then it's not even close to those price ranges as well. If you want space, this car delivers in spades. All in all with the comfort level both in the seats and on the road it delivers. The engine has plenty of passing power, yet rarely let's you know it's there. The utter quiet is a welcome pleasure, especially on the brutal roads of the Midwest. I wasn't as intrigued with the Avalon until I drove a XLS loaded. I guess I like having it all, and indeed this car delivers.

Favorite Features

Climate Control Power Seats with Power Lumbar Control Amazing JBL 7 speaker 250 Sound System Electrochromic Mirrors Tons of storage bins everywhere

Suggested Improvements

A "normal" parking brake Telescopic Steering Wheel

Great w Two Annoying Flaws
By rpg

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Lux car equal to Lexus at 10K less.

Favorite Features

Huge trunk and max back seat room. Lux interior

Suggested Improvements

Doors lock automatically when start driving and dont unlock auto when finished. Also think trip panel showing ave mileage, length of trip, etc should have option of not restarting when engine turned off.

Great Ride
By MesaDweller

2003 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car. I have driven many different cars and none can compare to the Avalon's smooth, quiet and comfortable ride. Combined with Toyota reliability, it cant be beat.

Favorite Features

Interior size, adjustable seating and steering. V6 has nice acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Doesnt handle exceptionally well on sharp curves.