Used 2003 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Wind Noise is the Problem
By kprko

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wind noise from both sided leaking thru the doors will cost over $200 for new window runners. Air conditioning vents blow cold air directly on you is a nuisance. After 3 years the dash component seams are separating. Steering wheel controls are sorely missed

Favorite Features

I love the dash center info screen.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel controls are sorely missed.

Wonderful car
By ambi

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

No doubt about it, I will purchase another Avalon. This car has more comfort in the rear and front than most of the largest. Everyone who rides in the rear seat is amazed at the comfort.

Favorite Features

Dash, seats, comfort in rear and front.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system should be updated to voice commands.

2003 Avalon Review
By Randy

2003 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I previously owned a Toyota Camry. The Avalon is definitely a step-up in quality. This is a more plush car with an abundance of features, ease of handling, and quiet ride. My only negative is the computer controlled excellerator. There is a "lag" that you don't notice in "direct wired" gas pedals. It is annoying when you really need to get out of the way fast.

Favorite Features

Console and dash layout

My second AVALON
By c6owner

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Avalon. The only thing that stopped my first was Pontiac at midships. I had 165,000 miles with nothing going wrong. I didn't even need brakes until 130,000 miles. I bought the second and am having the same luck. It is more powerfull but has 28 MPG average Vs 30 on the 1996 version. Passengers still comment on interior room and comfort after now 60,000 miles. I drive for work, and go through a lot of cars. These two have outperfomed and have been more reliable than anything else I have had. If I can stay out of the way of other cars, this one will probably go to 300K miles.

Favorite Features

I love the JBL Stereo. I even bought JBL for the home after I bought this car. I have fun with the computer. The bench front seat and 120 volt outlet comes in handy when using the computer on the road, and giving additional charging flexibility for phones and such.

Suggested Improvements

It's still a bit frumpy looking. I agree the computer could use a "don't reset" option on trips.

after 43k miles
By RS of VA

2003 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Body integrity is one complaint. Doors require a little extra push to latch....often require a second slam. Trip computer resets every time you stop so what good is the "trip" computation....also mileage resets after every tank full so there is no accumulating mileage for all types of driving.

Favorite Features

interior roominess, quiet though not as quiet as when new which goes to the body integrity.

Suggested Improvements

Better trip computer. Front seats are a little firm for this kind of vehicle and do not provide enough thigh support.